Ideal Character Voices

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I haven't seen any thread around here asking this yet, but how do you think each of the characters will sound like? Or who do imagine each of them sounding like? Nothing has been confirmed as far as voice actors yet, so for now let your imagination pave the way.

It doesn't have to be just the main characters though, it could also be for the ice sprites, or Fred, or even the predators.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I want Fred's voice to be John DiMaggio

As for the main characters I'm still not sure if Velvet is suppose to be Russian or Scandinavian
Velvet always sounded more French to me, but I can see Russian working to a certain extent as well.

Water

Local Aussie does Nothing
Feb 4, 2016
If Tara can do a older and more mature version of Bookworm Hoers's voice, I think that'll be Oleander's and just because I adore deep-voice women, I want Velvet to be deep as hell but I'm not sure if that'll be better suited for Tianhuo given deeper voices command more respect.

Squeakest voice would have to go to Paprika and/or Pom.

LLHero25

Master of Illogical Logic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Bowie, MD
I imagine Fred having a voice that's a cross between the harsh gruffness of Samson from Skullgirls and the suave smoothness of Leviathan from the same game, if that's even possible.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I would love and I pray that my girlfriend can get casted for one of the characters. I don't care which one, but she does have a great country accent and a great russian accent.
Got any audio of her using those voices? I'm kinda curious now.

CammerHammer

I'll be the Wombo to your Combo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Clarion, PA
If Tara can do a older and more mature version of Bookworm Hoers's voice, I think that'll be Oleander's and just because I adore deep-voice women, I want Velvet to be deep as hell but I'm not sure if that'll be better suited for Tianhuo given deeper voices command more respect.

Squeakest voice would have to go to Paprika and/or Pom.
Maybe she could throw a little bit of Raven's voice in there, too? I can't imagine the team being able to hire her, though, since she is a pretty high tier VA...

Water

Local Aussie does Nothing
Feb 4, 2016
Maybe she could throw a little bit of Raven's voice in there, too? I can't imagine the team being able to hire her, though, since she is a pretty high tier VA...
Hey, there's plenty of impersonators ;)

LockeRobster

Drawfriend & ALPHA Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
lokerobster.tumblr.com
Ok everybody, time to play those Ron Perlman voices in your head

“Art thou so eager to be rid of me, Oleander of The Woodlands?!”

“Of what voice does thou speaketh? This art totally my normal voice!”

“And stopeth calling me Fred, my name is FHTNG!”

Reactions: sirbacon

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Ok everybody, time to play those Ron Perlman voices in your head

“Art thou so eager to be rid of me, Oleander of The Woodlands?!”

“Of what voice does thou speaketh? This art totally my normal voice!”

“And stopeth calling me Fred, my name is FHTNG!”
Hmmm. First line I can see, not sure about the next two

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Ohh! Ohh! May I suggest a few?

Oleander: Tara Strong, Cherami Leigh (Kneesocks), Kate Oxley (Akane Tsunemori)
Paprika: Kristen Schaal (Mabel Pines), Monica Rial, Christine Marie Cabanos (Mako Mankanshoku)
Pom: Hynden Walch (Princess Bubblegum)
Tianhuo: Lauren Tom (Amy Wong), Grey DeLisle (Frankie Foster)

Oleander's Mother: Katey Sagal (Turanga Leela), Caitlin Glass (Elma: Xenoblade Chronicles X), Carrie Keranen (Satsuki Kiryuin)
Blitz: Patrick Seitz (Ira Gamagōri), Steven Blum
FHTNG (Intimidating Voice): J. K. Simmons (Cave Johnson), Tim Curry
Fred (normal voice): Andy Daly (Forrest MacNeil), Curtis Armstrong (Dan Vs.), Richard Steven Horvitz (Invader Zim)
Texas: Bruce Campbell (Ash Williams), Nolan North (Adventure Core), Ian Sinclair (Space Dandy)
Minnesota: Frances McDormand, Tabitha St. Germain (Rarara/Whinnyapolis Delegate)

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Am I the only one who though of Velvet having a German accent? I didn't want to say Scandinavian because I wasn't sure but then again, I wonder if Blitz is also a word that can be found in Scandinavian languages, I legitimetely don't know. D:

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Regardless, I kind of hope they go for unknowns. There is probably a lot of voice talent agencies, not to mention independents, that have voice samples up. It would take a bit of searching, but it would also keep costs down because unless the VAs were already fairly unknown, or were willing to do jobs for a reduced fee (or a share of the profits) the bills would rack up. Considering the cult following this game and team has had, I'm sure there are unknowns that would jump at the chance to do this at a low rate, or even for a song just to get their names out there. It could end up being someone's breakout role. I'm personally indifferent to star power generally, especially with soundalikes out there, and I'd rather they save the money on other aspects of development.

Sure, they need to grab people that suit the roles, but that's what screenings are for. They could pick from a handful of unknown/minor VAs they think might work and have at it, seeing who might be the best pick.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Am I the only one who though of Velvet having a German accent? I didn't want to say Scandinavian because I wasn't sure but then again, I wonder if Blitz is also a word that can be found in Scandinavian languages, I legitimetely don't know. D:
Swedish and dannish accent is similar to german to my knowledge

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Swedish and dannish accent is similar to german to my knowledge
It wouldn't surprise me considering that they are both from Germanic descent but I can't say I would be fully sure.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Dunno about Danish, but as a pitch-accent language, Swedish is definitely it's own beast.

EDIT: This is obviously exaggerated, but just imagine if Velvet sounded like Swedish Chef. :p

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Dunno about Danish, but as a pitch-accent language, Swedish is definitely it's own beast.

EDIT: This is obviously exaggerated, but just imagine if Velvet sounded like Swedish Chef. :p
Or a female PewDiePie... then again he already sounds like that most of the time.

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd say if the va of Cerebella, from Skullgirls, can do a southern accent, she'd be perfect for Arizona.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
- Arizona - Cree Summer
- Velvet - Kari Wahlgren
- Oleander - Jennifer Hale
- Paprika - Grey DeLisle
- Pom - Kath Soucie
- Tianhuo - Tara Strong
- Fhtng/Fred - Keith David or Clancy Brown
- Texas - Kevin Michael Richardson
- Minnesota - Edie McClurg
- Ice Sprites - Dee Bradley Baker
- Blitz - Jeff Bennett
- High Priestess - April Winchell
- Adobo - Carlos Alazraqui or Phil LaMarr
- Adobo's Son - Scott Menville
- Prime Minister - Jim Cummings
- Clerk - Tress MacNeille
- Woof, Ruff, Tuft & Puff - Frank Welker and/or Dee Bradley Baker
- Woogums - Danny Cooksey
- Longma Empress - Grey DeLisle
- Tianhuo's sister - G. Hannelius
- Longma Bullies - Tom Kenny, Rob Paulsen, and Jeff Bennett
- Dragon Mother - Tress MacNeille
- Horse Father - Fred Tatasciore

I also came up with a Vancouver version, but I'm not as proud of that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirbacon

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Yay for Winnie the Pooh's VA being the Prime Minister!
I also realized that Cummings would make a great Fred, since he's good at doing both deep menacing voices and friendly funny ones.

Imagine him going from Dr. Robotnik to Darkwing Duck.

A Tree

The One You'd Like to Be
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 9, 2016
I think I remember somebody in a stream mentioning that they wanted to get an actual New Zealand voice actress for Pom, but that may just be me remembering what I want and not what actually happened.

Anyway, I'd imagine there would complications in trying to do such a thing, but it would be pretty neat if they did. Not that I have any idea who they could go for though.