Background Easter Egg

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Hello all!
Wow, some neat stuff popped up in the runic studies department during the two months I was away from the forum.
I've taken some time to review what I missed and I have a few observations to make.

1. The apostrophe

o V e R T H i N K i N G
(not sure about apostrophe)
First of all, good job on solving that.
One thing to notice about the apostrophe is that, in both places it occurs, it's at the beginning of a word that starts with a vowel. Actually, in both cases that vowel is "O", but since there are also "O"s in the middle of words - and no apostrophes there - I'm guessing the word-beginning is the important feature here.

That's supported a little by this:
Seems Foenician will be firmly placed in the impure abjad category.
An 'abjad' is a writing system in which only consonants are written, but an 'impure' abjad is one that does have a few marks that indicate or hint at vowels. I guess what we don't know yet is whether or not the apostrophe will represent any word-initial vowel, or if it's always "O".

2. The redisgned runes

I'm not entirely satisfied with some of the glyphs, and might end up changing them. Some of them already changed from Halloween to now.
I honestly thought that Anu meant he tweaked the way the runes were drawn, not changed their meanings. But, once we received FoenicianW1P.png. some problematic things came to light. Some of the runes have more drastically changed, and some are missing entirely. Here's a comparison of the old Halloween runes with the set found in the "Overthinking" puzzle and "FoenicianW1P.png":

2018-02-16_old_and_new_rune_comparison.jpg

The Halloween runes might not matter going forward, but I'd still like to solve that last unsolved section of it! Sadly all the new information (well, the new hunches) are only making it harder.

3. The booth

It'd be easier to read if smug buck there would move, but...
practice maybe? Or maybe not.
Yeah I think that's probably it. if it's not target practice, then they're apparently selling tickets to a frigate. :p

I look forward to seeing more of these in the game.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Foenum Alphabet.png
Here's my go at trying to crack the runic alphabet. I compiled it in this page with what we know so far, differentiating between what was more or less figured out and what were figured out on my part (as well as the admitting that the last two came down to a guess).

Edit: Originally put V in guess. Forgot the overthinking message confirming v

Last edited:

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
First of all, kudos for reviving a thread called "Background Easter Egg" on Easter.
I'm always happy when this thread gets some love.

You've got as "d" under "Symbols we know."
But, we only have one "d" so far (it appears in "Oleander"), and it's spelled with instead.

The rune only appears in that annoying not-yet-deciphered part of the Halloween runes ().
Although, to add to the confusion, appears in Anu's revised runeset ("W1P") while does not!
It's tempting to guess that is the new , except that they BOTH appear in the Halloween message, so at least back then (pre-revision) they presumably represented different letters.

Heeey @Anukan , since we'll probbaly be seeing more runes when story mode launches, when you finalize the runeset could we get them as smilies here on the forum? Low priority obviously but it'd be fun, not just for the runic studies department here but for all the fans to use once the fœnecian writing system becomes well understood.

EDIT: fixed a typo

Attachments

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
First of all, kudos for reviving a thread called "Background Easter Egg" on Easter.
I'm always happy when this thread gets some love.

You've got as "d" under "Symbols we know."
But, we only have one "d" so far (it appears in "Oleander"), and it's spelled with instead.

The rune only appears in that annoying not-yet-deciphered part of the Halloween runes ().
Although, to add to the confusion, appears in Anu's revised runeset ("W1P") while does not!
It's tempting to guess that is the new , except that they BOTH appear in the Halloween message, so at least back then (pre-revision) they presumably represented different letters.

Heeey @Anukan , since we'll probbaly be seeing more runes when story mode launches, when you finalize the runeset could we get them as smilies here on the forum? Low priority obviously but it'd be fun, not just for the runic studies department here but for all the fans to use once the fœnecian writing system becomes well understood.

EDIT: fixed a typo
I was under the impression that we found out that section was "pact day" PC/KT D. However, I did miss that oliander had a different writing for d so I suppose that's probably incorrect?

Edit: Either that or perhaps there are actually certain situations where symbols are swapped for other symbols, like with capitalization in more standard fonts.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hello all!
3. The booth
It'd be easier to read if smug buck there would move, but...

Yeah I think that's probably it. if it's not target practice, then they're apparently selling tickets to a frigate. :p

I look forward to seeing more of these in the game.
I might be way late to the party on this, but isn't the one in the booth simply "Target", the joke being that it's like the American department store?

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
I might be way late to the party on this, but isn't the one in the booth simply "Target", the joke being that it's like the American department store?
I believe that was said, but I could be wrong. Still, I appreciate more input on the runes. I think some are still unsolved, or at the very least unconfirmed, if you want to take a crack at it. :arismile:

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
New runes were added to a texture in Reine this past patch, I'll add them to the Imgur Gallery and post a screencap here.

I think that says Undersn. This isn't consistent with Mighty Hunter Alicorn's guess above, but it's a coherent fighting game reference, while I'm not sure what Vndrqn would come out to, if his guess is correct.

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
'D' and 'S' actually corresponnd to my letter guess list

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I think that says Undersn. This isn't consistent with Mighty Hunter Alicorn's guess above, but it's a coherent fighting game reference, while I'm not sure what Vndrqn would come out to, if his guess is correct.
Actually, the world would be Undrqn, V has a different symbol. But, and while this is late, you've proven that what I thought was a q is actually an s. That's good progress. Should go through the rest of the symbols we have access to and finish a full translation

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
Actually, the world would be Undrqn, V has a different symbol. But, and while this is late, you've proven that what I thought was a q is actually an s. That's good progress. Should go through the rest of the symbols we have access to and finish a full translation
I personally like to believe that those runes in particular are NDRSN to be a Kliff Undersn reference.