Well, Super Smash Bros is now confirmed.

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
In the March 8th Nintendo Direct, at the very end Nintendo announced a new Smash with the Inklings as playable characters coming this year.
Of course, one obligatory word: HYYYYYYPE
What are your thoughts? You hype? How will TFH compare to it?

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You cant really compair the two games, one being an anima fighter, and the other being Smash. The gameplay is too different to compair the two

But I am quite hyped myself

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I'm very interested, but I'm confused as to what exactly the trailer is telling us. The signs are conflicting.

If I ignored the release date given (2018), I would absolutely believe that this (very vague) trailer was introducing the next big Smash game. Smash 5, new engine, new graphical style, the whole thing. But if the game were to truly release by the end of the year, that isn't much time to grow hype for a game like Smash, which thrives over trickles of info doled out over a long period of time. In addition, the Switch has only been out for a year now. Although they could have been developing this Smash game for the Switch several years prior to the system's release, it's just... eh. Even then, why only announce it now? If it's only a year from release (assuming it isn't delayed) then it would've been primed for at least a separately animated announcement trailer long ago, maybe even as far back as last year's E3.

And then again, if this were only a port of Smash 4 with a new character and some graphic upgrades (such as modern Link), why is the announcement trailer so vague? Why not be upfront about its content to avoid false hype over a mere glorified port with a new DLC character, especially if (again) it releases within the year?

All this leads me to believe that it's not exactly a port, and not exactly a remake. I believe it'll be Smash 4 with a sizable content update. Several new characters, new stages, rebalancing, and new modes. Most likely it'll combine Smash 4 Wii U/3DS exclusive aspects into one. This is why the trailer was so vague despite such a close release date; to get fans curious and foster excitement. I also think this will lead us into a longer term DLC plan for the game, because let's face it, it was a very odd move for Nintendo to let it go at only six characters when Smash DLC potential is endless both in financial gain and in possibility.

BypenThynDragon

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Well if they do go more DLC, I hope it's cheeper then the last game.

Also Nintendo (I would say Sakurai but I'm unsure if he is even working on this title considering he said 4 would be his last, of corse he said the same thing for past Smash games too.) Please buff the Puff, make rest more rewarding please.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Well if they do go more DLC, I hope it's cheeper then the last game.

Also Nintendo (I would say Sakurai but I'm unsure if he is even working on this title considering he said 4 would be his last, of corse he said the same thing for past Smash games too.) Please buff the Puff, make rest more rewarding please.
Don't be silly. The best part about playing Jigglypuff was landing a successful Rest, killing the opponent with said Rest, and still getting punished for it. That was clearly OP!

BypenThynDragon

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Don't be silly. The best part about playing Jigglypuff was landing a successful Rest, killing the opponent with said Rest, and still getting punished for it. That was clearly OP!
No-nono, You missed were, you painfully trade to get them to 40%, die at 60 because you weigh less then a ballon, then realise oh wait a rest doesn't kill at 40%, it kills at 42% silly me, then get punished.

Reactions: Mage

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I AM READY FOR SUPER SMASH WOOMY

Now we wait until E3 to see if this is gonna be Smash 5 or Smash 4.5. I'm cool with either one, really. Though I am with you a bit, Mage; if we were getting Smash 5, I would not have expected a 2018 release date. Since this is apparently getting a 2018 date, this makes me think it's Smash 4.5. Not a port, just a rather enhanced rerelease. Think MVC3 to UMVC3 kinda thing. If it IS Smash 5, that's kind of sadfeels because I'd hate to see Smash 4's amazing roster of characters go into the wind with the Wii U.

I think the announcement itself was vague because they're saving the juicy stuff for E3, but they decided, eh, we've waited and screamed for it long enough, so here's a little taste~ And of course now it gets the hype train running at hyper speed for eventual E3 reveals and answers to our questions.

I'm gonna go drown myself in reaction videos now. <3

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
I'm very interested, but I'm confused as to what exactly the trailer is telling us. The signs are conflicting.

If I ignored the release date given (2018), I would absolutely believe that this (very vague) trailer was introducing the next big Smash game. Smash 5, new engine, new graphical style, the whole thing. But if the game were to truly release by the end of the year, that isn't much time to grow hype for a game like Smash, which thrives over trickles of info doled out over a long period of time. In addition, the Switch has only been out for a year now. Although they could have been developing this Smash game for the Switch several years prior to the system's release, it's just... eh. Even then, why only announce it now? If it's only a year from release (assuming it isn't delayed) then it would've been primed for at least a separately animated announcement trailer long ago, maybe even as far back as last year's E3.

And then again, if this were only a port of Smash 4 with a new character and some graphic upgrades (such as modern Link), why is the announcement trailer so vague? Why not be upfront about its content to avoid false hype over a mere glorified port with a new DLC character, especially if (again) it releases within the year?

All this leads me to believe that it's not exactly a port, and not exactly a remake. I believe it'll be Smash 4 with a sizable content update. Several new characters, new stages, rebalancing, and new modes. Most likely it'll combine Smash 4 Wii U/3DS exclusive aspects into one. This is why the trailer was so vague despite such a close release date; to get fans curious and foster excitement. I also think this will lead us into a longer term DLC plan for the game, because let's face it, it was a very odd move for Nintendo to let it go at only six characters when Smash DLC potential is endless both in financial gain and in possibility.
Here's a quote from a commenter on a GameExplain video about this:
It's NOT a Smash 4 port people, look at the copyright. It's only for 2018 instead of 2014-2018, and Bandai Namco (who co-developed Smash 4) aren't credited. Not to mention the logo and music near the end are completely new.
And I think the reason why it's coming so early is because Smash 4 was for 2 different systems, Wii U and 3DS. For example the Ice Climbers were working perfectly on the Wii U but there were problems on the 3DS, so they canceled them.
And doesn't everybody like not waiting that long? :olliegrin:

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
EDIT: Never mind. It appears that Sakurai has referred to the game as a sequel on his Japanese Twitter.

Here's a quote from a commenter on a GameExplain video about this:

And I think the reason why it's coming so early is because Smash 4 was for 2 different systems, Wii U and 3DS. For example the Ice Climbers were working perfectly on the Wii U but there were problems on the 3DS, so they canceled them.
And doesn't everybody like not waiting that long? :olliegrin:
I saw that comment too, and although I agree it sounds like a good point, I don't know anything about how copyright works. lol

Last edited:

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If I recall correctly, Smash 4 took around 2.5 years to develop, at least from when we first knew about it coming. Could have at least begun preliminary stages before then. The final DLC for Smash 4 (Bayonetta and co) was released in February of 2016. It's fair to assume it was finished up a while before then and put through testing phases before being released. The new game could have began development right after that, but more likely could have been in early development while the final Smash 4 DLC was in the works. I do believe not long after the final DLC came out, Sakurai confirmed he was already getting to work on another game, but I don't remember when that happened, or if it was even referring to Smash Switch.

Nonetheless, at the very least, Smash Switch has been in development for around 2 years already, but it's quite likely it's around 2.5 years, and we still have all of 2018 for them to work on it. I doubt a port job of Smash 4 would need to take that long to develop, whereas a full-on new game obviously would eat up all that development time. So just add that factoid onto the pile of evidence we've already seen that suggests this is Smash 5 and not 4.5.

Incidentally, I don't believe Sakurai has confirmed yet that this is indeed Smash 5, he's just confirmed that he's involved with the game's development in some way. Obviously he's gonna play vague with us. He's Sakurai. Onward to E3.

As an added bonus, thanks to the trailer, you can expect these characters to all be in the game: Inkling, Mario, Link (Champion Edition), Yoshi, Pit, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Peach, Ness, Marth, Luigi, Sheik, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby, Zelda, Bowser, Fox, Captain Falcon, and Wario. I'm sure this list is absolutely shocking.

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
If I recall correctly, Smash 4 took around 2.5 years to develop, at least from when we first knew about it coming. Could have at least begun preliminary stages before then. The final DLC for Smash 4 (Bayonetta and co) was released in February of 2016. It's fair to assume it was finished up a while before then and put through testing phases before being released. The new game could have began development right after that, but more likely could have been in early development while the final Smash 4 DLC was in the works. I do believe not long after the final DLC came out, Sakurai confirmed he was already getting to work on another game, but I don't remember when that happened, or if it was even referring to Smash Switch.

Nonetheless, at the very least, Smash Switch has been in development for around 2 years already, but it's quite likely it's around 2.5 years, and we still have all of 2018 for them to work on it. I doubt a port job of Smash 4 would need to take that long to develop, whereas a full-on new game obviously would eat up all that development time. So just add that factoid onto the pile of evidence we've already seen that suggests this is Smash 5 and not 4.5.

Incidentally, I don't believe Sakurai has confirmed yet that this is indeed Smash 5, he's just confirmed that he's involved with the game's development in some way. Obviously he's gonna play vague with us. He's Sakurai. Onward to E3.
Hol' up
Sakurai said he's going on holiday after finishing Bayonetta, so either he's not working on this Smash, which is unlikely, or they just started later, about in the middle of 2016, which would mean 2 years of development. Both Smash 4 and Brawl took 2.5 years to make, but Melee took only 13 months.
Maybe they'll be just upgrading the Smash 4 engine and developing it from there, let's see.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sakurai said he's going on holiday after finishing Bayonetta, so either he's not working on this Smash, which is unlikely, or they just started later, about in the middle of 2016, which would mean 2 years of development. Both Smash 4 and Brawl took 2.5 years to make, but Melee took only 13 months.
Like I said, I don't remember exactly when it was stated that he was working on his next game. I'm sure he absolutely took a break after Bayonetta, but that doesn't mean this game wasn't in the works by that point. He wouldn't need to be there for every minute of its development.

Another thing that occured to me: If this was just a Smash 4.5, then why not show gameplay now? We have Smash 4 already, we know what it looks like. There should be no reason to give it such a dramatic Hunger Games reveal and save the gameplay for E3 unless it was something new. Even if you were upgrading it, it's not like you'd be giving it a complete overhaul.

Maybe they'll be just upgrading the Smash 4 engine and developing it from there, let's see.
Well sure, but then it'd just be using it as the base for Smash 5. I'm actually with Arlo in his discussion video, where he predicts it's definitely a Smash 5, but it's not going to be a massively different game, instead more of a "soft sequel" to Smash 4. He likened it to comparing Splatoon 2 to Splatoon 1. Which works perfectly for me, honestly, for a variety of reasons that I'm too sleepy to list here.

Onward to E3. And of course lots more Japan Time.