Controller not responding in specific areas.

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
*Edited after noticing a 'post template' for bug reports.

Logged on today, and started having some issues rather quick. I've been playing with a 360 controller since buying the game, and it's worked fine during that time. However, today, when I wanted to play with the new patch, my controller won't respond in specific areas.

Location: Character Select, Training pause menu, Controller config menu

Description: Controller inputs not functioning.

Screenshot: Not quite useful, considering.

Steps to Reproduce: Nothing specific was done either before, or after restarting/launching the game.

Reproduce Rate: 100% after 3 attempts to restart game.
360 controller always works on main menu, and during training.
Keyboard/Ps4 works in all menus, and training.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

beta

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 24, 2016
We haven't changed anything related to input code on this patch...
Were you the one talking about this on discord by chance? I'd just like to find out if multiple people are having this issue.

EDIT: mmm, the issue on discord was slight different I guess. We haven't had any other reports of controller issues. Are you sure settings didn't change or a new driver got installed?

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
We haven't changed anything related to input code on this patch...
Were you the one talking about this on discord by chance? I'd just like to find out if multiple people are having this issue.
I'm actually not in the Discord server myself. So, no, that wasn't me. I tend to use the same name over various platforms. So far, it's the only actual problem I've run into since I started playing. It's definitely the weirder input problem I've ever had on a game before, only being relegated to a certain button in one menu, and the entire controller in others.

**As far as I know, no updates have recently happened on my computer, but, I can still keep running more and more tests to see if it persists, just in case it was an isolated incident.

beta

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 24, 2016
My hands are a little bit tied at the moment, so I'm gonna see if I can get someone in this thread to help you out.

In the meantime, I'll say that TFH should support pretty much every controller ever natively. Controller emulation software of any sort only seems to cause problems, so just make sure you're not running anything like that please. The issues you describe sound very common on PS3 and PS4 emulators.

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
My hands are a little bit tied at the moment, so I'm gonna see if I can get someone in this thread to help you out.

In the meantime, I'll say that TFH should support pretty much every controller ever naively. Controller emulation software of any sort only seems to cause problems, so just make sure you're not running anything like that please. The issues you describe sound very common on PS3 and PS4 emulators.
It's fine, I'm in no rush. I know you guys have a lot on your plate at the moment.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to whatever things might be involved in controller emulation. For me, it's always been plug and go with my 360 controller without any issues. I know that the controller is a small, corded PowerA backlight controller, and not a standard 360 wireless. I also took a while to try a few more things while waiting. The character select acts the same over Arcade, and the pause menu acts the same in target attack.

Technically, I can still play the game, I'd just have to use something other than my controller to navigate specific menus and the like.

beta

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 24, 2016
While I work on grabbing someone, here's some easy things to try (you may already have done a few):

1) computer restart (yeah I know "have you tried turning it off and on again" but it really does fix an amazing amount of problems)

2) Try deleting your save data. Just remove everything in C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Them's Fightin' Herds

3) Try plugging into different usb ports

4) normally controller emulators just cause problems, but as a workaround (or an experiment) you may try using some to just see if you can get the game to behave properly.

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
Well, after returning from my restart (Which, strangely enough, killed my internet for a moment) I still, unfortunately have the problem. I had tried the USB switch before, but tried it again, to no avail. I deleted my save data, and still have the problem as well (And, found out the controls also don't work in the options menu for changing general game settings)

As for the emulator thing, I'm unfortunately not someone who knows where to get one or deal with one, because I normally don't use them.

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
After more testing, and reinstalling the game, I've come to find a defective trigger on my controller, which seems to be interrupting inputs on specific screens around the menus. What's strange is that this trigger input being stuck never showed up on my inputs list until yesterday after I worked my way into the training menu to play around a bit.

It's also strange because the trigger seems to work fine, and respond if an input is placed on it, but, it's still the most likely reason behind the problems. I'll have to replace it. Thank you for the time you spent attempting to help the other day, Beta.

Luckily, it doesn't seem to have any effect on actual gameplay. So, as long as I can work my way through the menus, then plug the controller back in, it'll all work fine.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Unonemous

Puppet Master
Mar 4, 2018
As far as I can tell, there's not much else to ask for, though, I do appreciate the question for more aid. At most, I'm confused as to why a button that isn't mapped to anything might be conflicting with controls that are, but, if I think about that, it probably has to do with controller wiring, kind of like how keyboard keys can ghost one another.

I once again appreciate your time, Beta!