Arizona's Rope

Salty Beef

Fau Con, at your service.
Okay so I've had a few hours with the game now and have been really focusing on Ari. But there's something I sorta noticed about her rope.

The hit box seems just a tad bit to far forward at its full length, which makes it feel a bit weird for me to use.

I don't know how many countless hours you guys have tuned that rope, but I was just curious if it COULD be changed or not. like, maybe move it (the Hit box) backwards just the teeniest weensiest bit. I think that would "fix" it.

Now, I dunno what that would do to the whole game, like it screws up ALL the balancing or something but I was only curious.

also I dunno if I'm the only one who feels this way about the rope. I could just suck at it too much or somethin'

Anyways, I could probably get used to it eventually, just feels a bit off is all.

Thanks for listening to everyone btw.

(sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, it was either the Arizona, or Bug report, and I don't consider this a bug)

Last edited:
Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am garbage with the rope. Sometimes when I throw it out, I can swear it touches my opponent, but doesn't give me the connection. (Even though it appears these red boxes reach out even further). Combine that with me having the reaction time of a drunk gerbil, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm just doing it wrong.

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
Short answer: Hitboxes in fighting games don't necessarily match animations.

Long answer: What you're talking about isn't impossible, but from a balance standpoint, hasn't been found to be necessary. The ropes are there to force Ari's opponent to either be too far away to be effective, or close enough for Ari to be effective. Or her opponent can just jump over 5B and 2B and punish their absurd ending lag. It doesn't really matter what the animation looks like, what matters is how the rope hitboxes interact with other collisions in the game.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Okay so I've had a few hours with the game now and have been really focusing on Ari. But there's something I sorta noticed about her rope.

The hit box seems just a tad bit to far forward at its full length, which makes it feel a bit weird for me to use.

I don't know how many countless hours you guys have tuned that rope, but I was just curious if it COULD be changed or not. like, maybe move it (the Hit box) backwards just the teeniest weensiest bit. I think that would "fix" it.

Now, I dunno what that would do to the whole game, like it screws up ALL the balancing or something but I was only curious.

also I dunno if I'm the only one who feels this way about the rope. I could just suck at it too much or somethin'

Anyways, I could probably get used to it eventually, just feels a bit off is all.

Thanks for listening to everyone btw.

(sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic, it was either the Arizona, or Bug report, and I don't consider this a bug)
Yeah, this is the right spot since it's more of a suggestion.

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
5B and 2B
pretty sure you meant 5D and 2D

After going into training mode and testing some things. Here is what I learned.
  1. 5D(Normal Rope) and 2D(Low Rope) Are ground only hit-boxes. They will not hit unless the feet of the opponent are on the ground even when perfectly spaced.
  2. The rope shows it's full range visually only on the frames the hit-box is active. The visuals you see both before and after the hit-boxe are both about half an Arizona length behind where the hit-box will appear. This may be giving some people a false sense of the spacing for landing the lasso.
    RopeRangePreHitbox.png
    RopeRangeHitbox.png
    RopeRangeEndLag.png
    hwadt?
Edit: The hit-box on 5D(normal rope) is to high to hit Crouching and knocked down opponents. Use low rope for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shin Bowser

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
You're right. I meant 5D and 2D. Although there's a bit more nuance to how their hitboxes work. 5D can catch opponents out of hitstun in the air, but can't catch low profiles. 2C is the only way to catch crouching opponents, or opponents tumbling after 236C.

Solario

I also have difficulty guessing the range of the the lasso. It always tries to snag a little too far. That said, I somehow have an easier time gauging where the ground version will land, maybe because it has a definite spot? Either way, the lasso is tricky. I'm just kinda glad not a lot of Arizona's best moves require magic to use, since hitting with the lasso is the only way to build it up...

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
It's actually pretty important to one of Ari's combo setups. I'm sure we all know you can air lasso after the heavy stomp. However this doesn't work at the stomps maximum range.

However if you use the normal lasso just as they start falling after a heavy stomp then you can grab them from the stomps max range thanks to that little bit of extra hitbox.