Dragon Ball FighterZ

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm surprised that no one has been talking about this game since it's announcement. So I'm gonna go ahead and start my own thread about it.

Personally, I'm super excited for this game. I've been waiting for a DBZ fighting game like this ever since I got into fighting games and everything I've seen of it just gets me more excited with how it's everything I wanted in it. Tried to get into the beta, but unfortunately it was all filled up. But at least there's not much time to wait for it to release. In the meantime, TFH should be able to hold my attention provided I have time inbetween school and work to play it.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This game is the most fun thing to watch ever and I can't wait to see more high-level players get their hands on it. Check this video out if you haven't seen it yet:

Reactions: PixelGrip94

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Haven't posted anything because I don't want to jinx it.

Going to be playing 18/Krillin/SSGSS Goku unless someone else interesting to me comes along.

Oct 31, 2017
I am so excited for this game. I am not the biggest fan of the source material but wow I just want to play the game super bad.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The character pass is a giant load, but MAN the story trailer they put out recently makes it look like the sickest DB-related thing of all time.

inknail

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Anyone play the beta? I really liked the feel that I got from it. Felt like a fast-paced 3v3 fighting game with tons of modern arc-sys fighting game mechanics thrown together. Definitely one of the more accessible fighting games that I've played in a while, given the degree of auto-combos and easy to perform actions. Preordered it after playing a bit for myself. Can't wait to see some more characters for the game (although I'm completely lost on some of the new ones from Super, since I haven't watched any of it).

Reactions: Mage

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't have any console to play the beta on. Hoping it comes out for Switch. Perhaps with all the damn DLC included

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I played the beta (quite extensively, I'll confess), and I have to say I love the feel of the game. I'm pretty new to it all, as I've never played an ArcSystems fighter nor watched an episode of Dragon Ball, but the game is accessible and yet seems to have potential for deep play. We'll have to see how the game evolves but it seems very promising.

I wasn't sure how if I would enjoy the game before the beta; I'd watched a fair amount of footage and was intrigued, but watching can't compare to hands-on time in genres like this one. The game has really won me over. The sense of style and power behind every animation is incredible. Some of the characters seem very interesting to me (personality-wise) as well. It's really got me to consider diving into the anime lol.

By the way, my main team during the beta was Frieza/Krillin/Goku. Frieza because his design and gameplay seemed interesting, and the other two because I could actually mess with them in the tutorial lol.

Reactions: Salty Beef

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I too played the beta and I loved every minute of it. While some people had a gripe about the auto combos, I personally don't mind them. For one thing, it allows for fun gaming sessions between friends who don't have any knowledge of fighting games without wiping the floor with them, and if people can't defend against an auto combo when online, they should probably practice more if they really want to get better. On top of that, I've heard Maximillian Food say that there's a bunch of better combos people could use anyway so the auto combos probably don't do enough damage to make then that much of a threat.

During my time with the beta, I made it to Super Saiyan 2 rank and my team was a mix between Vegeta/Goku/Frieza and Vegeta/Goku/Cell, but I hope to learn more characters when the game comes out so I can mix it up more.

Any characters that you guys want to see in the DLC? Personally, I'd love to see Broly and Cooler, but we'll have to see.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I too played the beta and I loved every minute of it. While some people had a gripe about the auto combos, I personally don't mind them. For one thing, it allows for fun gaming sessions between friends who don't have any knowledge of fighting games without wiping the floor with them, and if people can't defend against an auto combo when online, they should probably practice more if they really want to get better. On top of that, I've heard Maximillian Food say that there's a bunch of better combos people could use anyway so the auto combos probably don't do enough damage to make then that much of a threat.

During my time with the beta, I made it to Super Saiyan 2 rank and my team was a mix between Vegeta/Goku/Frieza and Vegeta/Goku/Cell, but I hope to learn more characters when the game comes out so I can mix it up more.

Any characters that you guys want to see in the DLC? Personally, I'd love to see Broly and Cooler, but we'll have to see.
From my observations on combo videos, yes, auto combos seem to do only around two-thirds of what the most optimal combos do, maybe even only half. So they are not the ideal option. It seems like they implemented them in a very balanced way.

As for your DLC question, I can't say much since I'm not familiar with Dragon Ball. But I would like to see Broly, if only because he seems like a popular choice.

By the way, are there any characters that felt particularly underwhelming/strong to anyone? Frieza seemed really strong to me. Good damage, great zoning, great range on normals, not slow, great assist, and his Golden transformation has a lot of crazy potential. I had a lot of success with him, but he could just be easy to get a handle on. Anyway, Krillin felt pretty weak at first (as you might expect) but I realized he's pretty good at zoning. The fact that you can jump and hold his energy beam is an excellent tool. His assist is pretty useful too. His short range just makes it hard to get in good hits. lol

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Broly is practically guaranteed. Otherwise, I don't care, as long as the rumors I heard some time ago weren't true and were just a troll.

Also I bet Jiren will get in.

RNBOWchild

Jan 20, 2018
Dragon Ball Fighter Z looks amazing. Never played the Beta (Only have PC and Switch) , but it looks fun! I have a sort of team that I plan to use when the game releases, based on what I have seen of the game.

Frieza (Point): His move-set makes me think that he is a zoner.

Gotenks (Middle): His assist looks very useful.

Android 18 (Anchor): Her assist looks very useful.

It might change, but I'll see what happens.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Frieza (Point): His move-set makes me think that he is a zoner.
He's the closest this game comes to a zoner. It doesn't really favor a zoner playstyle, but Frieza's moveset nonetheless is built at least like a partial zoner. This can make him very effective if it's your kind of character.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
By the way, are there any characters that felt particularly underwhelming/strong to anyone?
I've heard a lot of people complaining about Kid Buu being overpowered, but I haven't dealt with that personally. I myself had more trouble with Nappa players myself, but I don't think he's overpowered necessarily. I just need to get better at fighting against him. Considering his size and how he is in the manga, his overwhelming strength makes sense

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I ran into someone in ranked match whose username was "MyNameIsn'tFred". It was probably a coincidence, but part of me can't help but think it sounds like a TFH reference. lol
I've heard a lot of people complaining about Kid Buu being overpowered, but I haven't dealt with that personally. I myself had more trouble with Nappa players myself, but I don't think he's overpowered necessarily. I just need to get better at fighting against him. Considering his size and how he is in the manga, his overwhelming strength makes sense
I shared your feelings about Nappa during the beta, namely because I wasn't familiar with his gameplay. I haven't had to worry about because I've played very few Nappas since release though.

As for Kid Buu, I'm not surprised people say that. He seems like the type of character that is grueling to fight if one is not very familiar with his weaknesses.

Reactions: PixelGrip94

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Now that the game has been out for a good while, does anyone have any favorite characters they like to play as or preferred teams?

Personally, I try to mix it up with any combination of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, or Gotenks. Those are the characters that I play the best (and as a result, I kind of feel like they're the easiest characters to play as too...:olliesad:).

CluelessDetective

Jan 24, 2018
Now that the game has been out for a good while, does anyone have any favorite characters they like to play as or preferred teams?

Personally, I try to mix it up with any combination of Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Cell, or Gotenks. Those are the characters that I play the best (and as a result, I kind of feel like they're the easiest characters to play as too...:olliesad:).
Captain Ginyu, Tien, and Goku Black. "Team Suicide Body Swappers (plus Goku Black is there)"

Ginyu is there because I loved the Ginyu Force since I was a kid so being able to do sick stuff with him is pretty great, Tien I was never a big fan of but I love his design and playstyle in this, and Goku Black is too sick for me to not use.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion

I've tried to use a few different teams, but yesterday I found one I really like. Frieza, Beerus, and Black (with Frieza leading and Black as the anchor). I enjoy playing characters that I feel give me control over the pace of the game, or at least slow it down a bit (especially in games as fast-paced as this one), and Frieza and Beerus are good at this. Black has plenty of things to keep the opponent on their toes as well, plus he has good damage with meter (which is why I try to use him last).

I've tried out Majin Buu and Teen Gohan as well, and although they were fun (especially Teen Gohan), I think this current team is my favorite. I still haven't unlocked Android 21 lol. The story is kind of a slog with all the AI fights.

On a side note, I wouldn't label Cell, Frieza or Gotenks easy to play. None of those are too basic in nature. Especially Gotenks with his short range.

I'm also pretty happy with my rank right now. I got back up to where I was at the end of the beta. While it's not much of an achievement due to the craziness of early ladder, I'd still like to think I'm decent at the game.
Captain Ginyu, Tien, and Goku Black. "Team Suicide Body Swappers (plus Goku Black is there)"

Ginyu is there because I loved the Ginyu Force since I was a kid so being able to do sick stuff with him is pretty great, Tien I was never a big fan of but I love his design and playstyle in this, and Goku Black is too sick for me to not use.
Gkou Black fits in great with a body swapping theme lol. I'm glad to see someone playing Ginyu, haven't seen much of him. He's very interesting, but he must require a lot of experience before one has the familiarity to use his Force strategically, instead of "I'm gonna call out two people at once and hope it works out" like I would if I tried to play him lol.

Reactions: CluelessDetective

CluelessDetective

Jan 24, 2018
Gkou Black fits in great with a body swapping theme lol. I'm glad to see someone playing Ginyu, haven't seen much of him. He's very interesting, but he must require a lot of experience before one has the familiarity to use his Force strategically, instead of "I'm gonna call out two people at once and hope it works out" like I would if I tried to play him lol.
Yeah Ginyu is really fun for me (mainly because I loved the Ginyu Force as a kid) but I'm not that great with him yet I'm at the level of throwing them out and hoping to get a hit in lol

Still it's fun because a friend of mine also does Ginyu so we've been doing Ginyu mirrors tonight

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
After dealing with a couple online players who've quit before the end of the match, I'm curious if Bandai Namco has some sort of punishment set up in the game for people who do that. Also makes me curious if Mane6 plan on doing something like that in the future with TFH

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I am in the minority, but I really want a GT DLC character, if only because we have plenty of unique fighting styles to work with and the fact that pretty much every DB game these days has a GT pack.

Nuova Shenron - Speedy rushdown with various fire-based attacks, maybe a focus on legnthy aerial combos.
Omega Shenron - Tanky with super armor, like Hulk or Juggernaut in Mahvel, variety of possible moves because of the powers he has from the other shadow dragons
Pan - Puppet playstyle utilizing Giru, it could make for some really interesting combos

Note: I don't have FighterZ in my steam library, but I still think these would be cool.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm curious who the other 6 characters will be (one of them will probably be Cooler considering the supposed leak from earlier this year)
My guess would be the other 5 characters from that leak. None worth the money.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My guess would be the other 5 characters from that leak. None worth the money.
Othwr than Cooler, I recently heard base form Goku and Vegeta could be put in the game but I'm really hoping that's not the case since we already have two forms of Vegeta and Goku (three for Goku if you count Goku Black).

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Othwr than Cooler, I recently heard base form Goku and Vegeta could be put in the game but I'm really hoping that's not the case since we already have two forms of Vegeta and Goku (three for Goku if you count Goku Black).
Broly, Bardock, Base Goku, Base Vegeta, Vegito, Zamasu, Android 17, and Cooler. That's the apparent legit datamine.

Out of all of those, Cooler is the only one I'm fine with. $35 for Cooler ain't cutting it for me. And no I don't care that the datamine also found new modes (not sure if those are even DLC or if they're gonna be free). Give me a Complete Edition on Switch whenever you're done finishing your game.

And I guess a nice big "screw you" to all those fans asking for more female characters. Who needs 'em? Jesus, ArcSys.

inknail

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
If that's the legit final list of dlc characters, then I must say that I'm pretty disappointed. Broly, Vegito, Cooler, and 17 (assuming it's super 17) could be interesting, but I couldn't be less interested in another form for Goku and Vegita. Also also was really hoping to see more than the two female fighters out of 21 that we have currently considering the amount of possibilities that are available, especially with the new characters from Super.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If that's the legit final list of dlc characters, then I must say that I'm pretty disappointed. Broly, Vegito, Cooler, and 17 (assuming it's super 17) could be interesting, but I couldn't be less interested in another form for Goku and Vegita. Also also was really hoping to see more than the two female fighters out of 21 that we have currently considering the amount of possibilities that are available, especially with the new characters from Super.
It ain't Super 17, it's just regular 17, who is already an assist character in the game currently. Also, the Zamasu is apparently Fused Zamasu, who is just Green Goku Black.

Also, there's another rumored list of 8 "Season 2" characters. They're possibly even worse.