How can TFH entice people?

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

Fair enough. And while that would sound like a lovely idea in terms of how to have a less chaotic kind of deal with communication... it just so happens that a) Literally everyone in the team already has a job and b) They already have their OWN jobs for the most part IRL. So unless a unique opportunity arose, they weren't going to hire another person specifically for the purpose of communication in the forums, even if that was a lovely idea, only so much money they have to play around (and as Anu has said in the past, monetary speaking all has gone according to plan so having another person in there would have probably screwed something up.

And I think there might be ideas for a grappler in the future but how they would look? I have absolutely no idea lol

And haha, I know, I was just mentioning it just in case xP

And aye. In a way, you'd think that Arizona would be the easiest choice to go for me because of superjump, run and ropes, but I suprisingly feel much better in the combo structure that Tianhuo has, first, I like her design more too, second, and as I found out, I actually really like having a lot of aerial mobility to speak of, (which might make it look like I should grab Pom but puppets avoid me and so I'm not gonna go to them lol). This is also if I actually had a secondary character for myself, it would be Oleander instead. Short dashes aside, she has double jump, fireballs and excellent buttons as a whole both in the air, and in the ground (which is for the most part what Tianhuo has). So yeah, even if things might seem straightforward, you might be surprised how something as simple as "how the character works" both for gameplay and for how you use whatever controller your playing with might change which character you end up playing.

And haha, well, each character in this game will require a bit of work in trying to play them, as you always have to take a look on what kind of tools you have in order to make your combos work. IMO the best characters for "combo simplicity sake" would be Arizona and Tianhuo, as neither requires "strict" use of magic in order to make them work or require super tight timings for some of the more simply combos you can pull off but of course, once you get around that, you'll see how much more you can get using magic in both cases, so it's a matter of "Who do you feel comfortable playing at first" and then "do you like this character enough to go on". After that, I don't think there's much advice I could give you from there.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Oh, I see...I meant have someone in that position that doesn't get paid >.>... Like an Admin on a Minecraft server type of deal. But even if that were to mess up their plans, then forget I said anything :p

That would be the issue as I see it. Like how can a 4 legged animal be a grappler? Unless it was like bear, but that's a predator in the game.

Gotcha.

Good to know. Have you tried all the character before sticking with Tianhuo?

hmmm...if only there were more characters! I also thank you for the advice you gave so far =D

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My guess is they wouldn't really want someone to just be on the team and not actually get paid, which is why it probably hasn't been considered at all yet x3

I'd like to point out that four legged creatures come in all shapes and sizes, even herbivore ungulates. And Pap already has a command grab for sweet sweet kiss of stagger. Trust me. If there can be a grappler, they can make it happen :p

And well, Pom and Paprika while I've dabbled into a little bit here and there, I really haven't used them at all because of their particular ways of playing (puppets for Pom which I'm NOT gonna deal with and charge moves with Paprika which I'm NOT gonna deal with either lol). So that left me with the other 4 and I didn't like Velvet's moveset and movement for my own gameplay at least and out of Olly, Ari and Tian, I ended up liking Tian the most with Olly second (and the reason I would pick her second before Ari, is mostly because of design more than gameplay if I'm honest, because I'm not that good with setup characters lol). That's more or less my case at least though haha.

And hey, you never know, maybe with this it'll be enough or maybe you'll get the one for you later, time is your friend! But you're welcome and I'm glad it helped!

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Well, would you like to be Community Manager for Mane6 and not be paid if the opportunity arises?

Yes and "yes". There are many 4 legged animals, but I cannot think of any who can grab outside of a Bear. Pap doesn't really "grab" so much as "hugs" and then kisses. I cannot see her doing like a suplex or Siberian Blizzard :p

No love for Arizona's design huh :c Still good to know the process you went through for choosing your main.

Aye, it's just going to suck to A.) wait for that character B.) IF that character even comes and C.) Getting familiar with a current character just to have a character more suited for me come out later down the line.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
@Arcanel
@Mage
I'm sure we all hope this, however, I also hope they don't rush things just because we all want it before the year ends.
True, but they have been developing at a much faster rate than Overwatch (IMO), who I'm sure has loads of people working on it.

The lack of info is only concerning for me because of it being a Kickstarted game and when info stops flowing it tends to lead to the Devs taking the money and running off with it. Though it looks like it wouldn't be happening with this game, if only because of how far they came with the game so far, it would still be nice to hear a "Howdy" just to see they are still there.

(No offense, but if you think what you said was disrespectful, you should checkout the Overwatch of League of Legends forums >_>)
I definitely don't want them to rush the game either. I'm not going to discuss Overwatch's development ( I'm already offtopic as is lol) but they have team of a 100 or so working on it I believe.
I don't think backers need to worry about getting scammed anymore (even the beta itself seems like a darn fun gaming experience). Honestly I think the silence is indicative of how busy they are. As someone in this thread pointed out, work streams do take precious time and most or all of them (I believe) have jobs beside the game development.
I'd also forgotten about the voice acting when I typed up my post. I'd imagine that's something that is very time consuming to get set up.
(I actually am familiar with the disrespect of the Overwatch community. That's why I wanted to be sure I took a respectful attitude with my post...)

To be more on topic, I know that one of the developers said he loved grapplers, and also (IIRC) that they had ideas for a grappler character someday. Honestly, there's more options than you might think. We already have unicorns and longmas, so any hoofed mythological creature is fair game. Who's to say we couldn't have a hippogriff who command grabs people with his/her big, fluffy wings before smashing them into the ground with their muscular eagle front half? Any ungulate with horns could have a command grab using them. Also, rhinos and hippos are actually ungulates too... I can imagine them being big grappler types.

Reactions: Salty Beef

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Mage
As off topic as OW development team: Team Fortress 2 has a team of like 5 with only 2 being coders.
Aye, its just like a sub-conscience thing because I have been burned by IndieGoGo before, so that worry I have will always be there until the game is complete.
I was thinking of voice acting in general the other day and thought it would be kinda hype if they managed to get the voice-actresses of the Mane 6 in Lawyer Friendly Equines to voice their counter-parts in TFH, and so on for each DLC character if they were inspired by a character in the show.
Then you must know the difference between disrespect, criticism, and opinion.

Not gonna lie, completely overlooked mythological creatures. A hippogriff or Griffin (are they the same?) could most definitely be a grappler, what with their claws instead of hooves.
I can only see an ungulate with horns being a grappler, by impaling their opponent and even then, I can't imagine anything they do would be as "grappler-ish" as Zangief or Hugo, like you can only do so much with your head as opposed to using hands and feet.
Rhinos and Hippos are indeed ungulates, but still "hooved", so would still be weird to see them grapple as it would be for a Reindeer, Sheep, Unicorn, Cow, Alpaca, or Snake-horse-dragon.

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I personally think this game won't have that big of a casual crowd. I think it'll rely on more of a hardcore/semihardcore crowd of FGC people (along with diehard fans of the project from its earlier days).
Keep in mind, the game is going to have a story mode - not seen at all in the beta so far. There are a lot of Lauren Faust fans out there, of all ages from kids all the way through people in their 30s/40s (who largely remain fans even when they sometimes get made fun of for it). If you market a game as having "story and characters by Lauren Faust", then that should appeal to a lot of the L.F. fans out there even if they're not Fighting Game players. Allow the player to set the difficulty down and sleeptrot their way through just to see the fun story and cool characters, and I think a lot of casuals will be interested. But if they launch the game without the story mode... that could be a problem for getting it any attention in the wider market.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Pom d'or
I feel that relying on Lauren Faust fans is along the same lines as trying to market this game for furries. I don't doubt that the game will get a following from those crowds, the same way I "follow" Street Fighter or Injustice. Odds are they will want to spectate rather then play because of the genre TFH is.

Reactions: Pom d'or

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

I mean, maybe if I had known the team before or if it was offered then sure, but I don't think i'd do such a good job and those are already occupied positions so I definitely wouldn't be able to offer up anything else. I appreciate the consideration but I think they'll be fine as is :p

You kind of answered your own thing about species I guess lol, but it should be noted that giraffes using long necks to grab or something along those lines for example would work just fine for grappling :p

Don't get me wrong, I like Ari's design. But I'm terribly biased towards dragons and fire is also pretty good plus volcanoes soooo yeah xP

I mean, getting used to how the game works and working with a character now is hardly going to be a bad thing. Will get you more experienced with the game and if there are things you can carry from that one practiced character to the other (like, how you are able to play the game with your movement and all that), then it's gonna help even more!

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Keep in mind, the game is going to have a story mode - not seen at all in the beta so far. There are a lot of Lauren Faust fans out there, of all ages from kids all the way through people in their 30s/40s (who largely remain fans even when they sometimes get made fun of for it). If you market a game as having "story and characters by Lauren Faust", then that should appeal to a lot of the L.F. fans out there even if they're not Fighting Game players. Allow the player to set the difficulty down and sleeptrot their way through just to see the fun story and cool characters, and I think a lot of casuals will be interested. But if they launch the game without the story mode... that could be a problem for getting it any attention in the wider market.
I honestly do forget about the story mode a lot. Maybe it's because fighting games don't have a reputation for compelling story modes? Anyway, I agree that this game has a lot of potential for its story mode, and that will draw some people in. But like Zenopo said, it'll be easier to watch playthroughs of it, especially if they're just playing for the story and not the game. All that aside, it will definitely help the more casual side.
@Mage
I was thinking of voice acting in general the other day and thought it would be kinda hype if they managed to get the voice-actresses of the Mane 6 in Lawyer Friendly Equines to voice their counter-parts in TFH, and so on for each DLC character if they were inspired by a character in the show.
Then you must know the difference between disrespect, criticism, and opinion.

Not gonna lie, completely overlooked mythological creatures. A hippogriff or Griffin (are they the same?) could most definitely be a grappler, what with their claws instead of hooves.
I can only see an ungulate with horns being a grappler, by impaling their opponent and even then, I can't imagine anything they do would be as "grappler-ish" as Zangief or Hugo, like you can only do so much with your head as opposed to using hands and feet.
Rhinos and Hippos are indeed ungulates, but still "hooved", so would still be weird to see them grapple as it would be for a Reindeer, Sheep, Unicorn, Cow, Alpaca, or Snake-horse-dragon.
Honestly, I wouldn't want that... by now I see these characters as completely their own personalities. In fact, I honestly can't imagine them with most of those voices. That's just me though. I don't think Mane6 would ever do that, both due to cost, and because they are trying very hard to differentiate themselves (very successfully IMO). I mean, you can look at the two sets of characters and see the inspiration, but the equines are (at a basic level) fleshed out archetypes anyway, and our ungulates all have interesting backstories and quirks that set them apart from the equines.

I hate to sound preachy, but a griffon is part eagle and part lion, while a hippogriff is part eagle and part horse, so the former is actually not an ungulate. While horn impaling isn't actually a grab, the animation could involve stunning the enemy with a horn charge, and them slamming them into the ground, or something similar. The realism of how a creature can "grab" isn't too important in my opinion. We already have a "kiss" command grab. Anything is kind of fair game after that. Hippos and rhinos could just have a body slam animation that is considered a grab, or have a headbutt that leads into something grappler-like.

After all, Arizona's normal grab is just lifting the enemy onto her back and bumping them around. The technical aspect of how they grab takes a backseat to whether it thematically makes sense for them to be a grappler, if I'm making any sense here.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Still~

More like Mage answered it :p As for Giraffes using their necks to grapple...2spooky4me.

Ahh, then it was never even a contest on who you were going to main.

Yeah that's true, guess I'm just trying to find excuses to not play because of how much I hate losing, and how anxious I get in 1v1's-4v4's.

@Mage
I see your point, what if it was a DLC voice pack or if they just changed how they sound?
I don't know anything about the backstory or story for TFH, so I imagine them being in the same ball-park as the Mane 6 in Lawyer Friendly Equines, with twists outside of not being Ponies. You got Paprika who's always happy (like PP), Oli is all about magic (Like Twi, though dark magic), Arizona is a cow that can be found on farms which AJ lives while they both use rope, Velvet and Rairty's attitude couldn't be more similar, same for Pom and Timid Ferovore Hoers, who are both also animal lovers and...Tian is a drgaon horse snake, which is cool, which people associate RD with being.

Lol, not preachy at all, I did ask after all xD I also just googled what ungulate means, I assumed it was 4 legged animals :p
This is all just my opinion here, but that would be kind of boring to watch =/ I like all the grabs that grapplers can do in other fighting games, would be a shame if a grappler in this game was only able to horn charge/impale/stab etc...
And it is for me, apparently o3o
That we do. but it's not so much of a grab as it is two limbs being thrown around you, there's no *grabbing* force, you know?
The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the headbutt leading into a grapple-like move instantly made me think of that one Oil guy in Ultra Street Fighter 4...

I suppose, it's just a grappler would have an entire kit dedicated to grabbing (aye?), so if it was all relating to Arizona's grab, it wouldn't be all that interesting to watch. Which again, could just be a "me" thing, I like watching command grabs be something painful and being bucked off of Arizona doesn't seem all that bad when compared to Zangief (I know I'm using this guy a lot, that just shows how little I know of fighting games in general, plus I like his personality) jumping in the air spinning and pile-drivering you into the ground.

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

I think I can only really say something to the last part, but little advice that, really, can be applied to any fighting game:

Don't be afraid to pick up a fighting game just because you fear it will end up pretty badly at first. Thing is, it might just go like that, as depressing as that sounds. But it's not meant to be in a bad way, but merely that you may end up playing against those that have actually picked up the game for a while and know what they're doing already. You'll almost always run across that. But take inspiration and see how others play first instead of taking it as a challenge to your skill, so to speak.

Today was another Fighting Foenatics stream and we actually got a few new faces to appear for it and not all of them "immediately" know what they're doing or are total gods or something like that, just mentioning this so you know that it's not like everyone can play the game with no faults, and hell, not even the better players in this game play without faults either.

What matters the most is you having fun. And if you have fun playing a certain character? Go all out on it. Keep in mind that this is still in Beta. And if you think you're starting to not have that much fun? Stop for a moment and come back later, don't let all that negativity just keep growing.

Let me give you a little bit of personal experience. A few months ago I was in the pixel lobby and felt like actually playing a LOT of matches, of which they ended up being around 60 or so distributed between Bubbleboots (arguably one of the best players of the game right now), and Reysol (arguably one of the best Tianhuos). I think I fought like, 40 with Bubble, and 20 with Rey. I only won approximately less than TEN of those matches, and for the record, I've actually been able to beat them in the past (as much as I can now if not more now since I think I've grown as a player.

That day I felt absolutely miserable about how I played, and I just decided to take a break for like, 2 days maybe. Picked the game back up and I felt much better. That's how much I like this game. So if you like the game and like the character you're playing? Just have fun man. Make sure to never lose that. Practice makes perfect and practice makes for a better time for yourself the more you get used to things, and that goes both for not being as anxious, and playing a character better ^^

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
@Mage
I see your point, what if it was a DLC voice pack or if they just changed how they sound?
I don't know anything about the backstory or story for TFH, so I imagine them being in the same ball-park as the Mane 6 in Lawyer Friendly Equines, with twists outside of not being Ponies. You got Paprika who's always happy (like PP), Oli is all about magic (Like Twi, though dark magic), Arizona is a cow that can be found on farms which AJ lives while they both use rope, Velvet and Rairty's attitude couldn't be more similar, same for Pom and Timid Ferovore Hoers, who are both also animal lovers and...Tian is a drgaon horse snake, which is cool, which people associate RD with being.

Lol, not preachy at all, I did ask after all xD I also just googled what ungulate means, I assumed it was 4 legged animals :p
This is all just my opinion here, but that would be kind of boring to watch =/ I like all the grabs that grapplers can do in other fighting games, would be a shame if a grappler in this game was only able to horn charge/impale/stab etc...
And it is for me, apparently o3o
That we do. but it's not so much of a grab as it is two limbs being thrown around you, there's no *grabbing* force, you know?
The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned the headbutt leading into a grapple-like move instantly made me think of that one Oil guy in Ultra Street Fighter 4...

I suppose, it's just a grappler would have an entire kit dedicated to grabbing (aye?), so if it was all relating to Arizona's grab, it wouldn't be all that interesting to watch. Which again, could just be a "me" thing, I like watching command grabs be something painful and being bucked off of Arizona doesn't seem all that bad when compared to Zangief (I know I'm using this guy a lot, that just shows how little I know of fighting games in general, plus I like his personality) jumping in the air spinning and pile-drivering you into the ground.
If you want to know more about the lore, you can find it on the main website. I think you'll find the characters are a bit more individual than you think.

But yeah, what does and does not constitute as a satisfying command grab is up to preference. I don't feel that a command grab has to be an actual grab to be satisfying; I think getting chomped on by a hippo or stomped by a rhino (or bucked by a cow) would feel like a powerful grappler attack, but it comes down to preference. At least there's always the possibility of the character using an object to assist them in that (like Arizona's rope or Oleander's book).

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
It's not fear that I will be bad at the game, because I KNOW I will, I just detest losing in a way where I didn't feel impactful, thus me not being fond of games where I'm put in a 1v1-4v4 scenario. I feel there's to much riding on what I do and I'm terribad under pressure.
Take inspiration from randoms that kick my butt? Overlooking my butt being kicked, I don't think I can be inspired by randoms I know nothing about.

Did any of them appear on the stream to be viewed in a later YouTube video? I would like to see if there are some people I can fight around my skill level.
Aye, but the faults of better players are minor and far and few in between compared to average players.

At this point, I'm pretty certain that negativity has made fighting games in general not fun, since this has been on ongoing thing way before TFH. It also doesn't help having combo lists and supers to memorize to then begin having fun as opposed to other genres of games where you can pick up a controller and be on your way.

I have seen Bubble play and applaud you for not only going against him, but being able to beat him, not because I think you're bad, but because you think you are bad, at least in comparison, unless I misinterpreted.
I have also seen Reysol and would say you guys are fairly even. I also don't think there's to much weight behind saying that Bubble and Rey are the best X player, when there's only a handful of players. Not to dismiss what you said or anything.
Gratz!

That seems to be the remedy for everyone, regardless of the game they play.
Can only hope and try for this one, since I lost it for SF, MK, Injustice, MvC and Skullgirls, regretfully.
Aye, it just sucks that practice has to be against people in 1v1's and even then, there's nobody online to practice with =/ (except for occasional moments where it's you, Rey, Bubble, Hamit, and linkster, where practice would be watching my character be juggled to death).

@Mage
Dang nabit, if only I refreshed before replying to Arcanel as to not double post e.e

Is...is this not the main site?

Yup, I blame other fighters for me wanting a grappler in this game doing more than "simple" stuff like (what I imagine to be) "chomp -> slam" or a body-slam from a big character like a Hippo.
They could go down that route (Ole's book) and have like an Ermac character (point being magic grapples), since TFH has magic and what not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

Haha, you misunderstand. I don't say "Hey look at this random who beat my butt into the ground! If he can do it so can I!" necessarily. Mostly instead if you see someone who uses your character, and they're doing things you didn't know could be done, learn from them or "steal the tech" if you will. Or if it's not your character per se, you'll see what things you can do against that character, and which not. Obviously it's not an instantaneous process, at all, but it does eventually get better.

Rich has just uploaded the stream that happened last Saturday for viewing on Youtube so hop right on and take a look! And while that's true, think of it as "even if his potential to play better is higher, the one who wins the match is the one who played better in the end, regardless of "better player". As someone who plays sports and specifically tennis, it's a good thing to go by.

And that's fair enough. But you know, it all depends on if the game feels easy for you to pick up and then move on from there. There WILL be other things that will be added to the game later on (namely tutorials for example or so on). This is also a four button where light-medium-heavy-launcher into air light-medium-heavy-special move pretty much works as a starter combo for a lot of the characters and for those who can't do that, you can just continue below as well.

Haha, I don't think I'm a bad player. I just don't think I'm of the best out there, basically. And thank you! And you're right, but that's why I said "arguably" :p

And well, there's not much I can say on that but, and I can't stress this enough, just remember to have fun, and if you're not, then just stop. You're not trying to be a competitive player or pro or whatever, you just wanna play a game and have fun. Tis what matters the most.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Gotcha.
That's something I also dislike, learning a new game from the ground up, if only learning each characters moves so I know what and when to use a move, know when to go in after they did a move and being able to more easily copy peoples combos because of knowing what moves were used.

Will do.
That sounds, counter-informative(?), since the one with the least amount of faults will most likely be the one winning in the end.

Aye, which I imagine means this is probably the easiest fighting game to get into, yet I still feel over-whelmed. Though that's a good thing, since it makes for a good watch, bad thing for when I decide to play.

All about perspective, let's say 10 people play the Beta and you are placed at about 7, that's not so great, right? You are decently far from number 1, but then add a few thousand people to the mix and BAM, you are top 10, the elite of the game. So you still might not be THEE best, but you'd be close enough to it where it's in reach.

Aye, it's just people generally have fun with games when they win. whether its beating a level, mini-game, boss or people online.Fighting games are primarily played for online matches in 1v1 fashion.
I mean for me: 1v1 isn't fun. (I'm not even a fan of PvP in general, unless its to watch)
Fighting games in general aren't fun, because of the extensive combos you have to learn if you wanted to even attempt to win.
Fighting games even after learning the moves and combos, because now you have to learn about frame data, start-up time(?), character match-ups and a whole slew of other stuff.
It's pretty much why I haven't played fighting games since the old SF2, MK, Killer Instinct games. You need to go through multiple steps BEFORE you can start having fun.
Though I will be giving TFH a go, I'm hoping it doesn't end up as another fighting game I just watch and not play.

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Haha, that's alright, it happens to many of us my friend, do what you can and you'll see in the end is what I'd say.

And ahhh but most likely isn't a definitive thing. You could make only one mistake but that mistake was the worst of the other mistakes you made, and ended up winning because of it. You never know. It's about who lands the last hit in the end, after all.

Just try to get into it at your pace is the best I can tell you there. Not a lot that can be done other than "Don't forget to try things out" and "It's ok if mistakes happen".

And haha, I believe I'm in the uh... Top 10 playerbase category right now. As in from the 10 players I believe are the best around, I'd be in the lower half. But you know, opinions, I might be wrong of course lol

And you know you might be looking into it a little bit too far. If the character you are playing feels comfortable to play, you'll probably end up practicing on your own. And despite what it looks like you DON'T need to study all those things like it's math. You can kind of just practice them and your mind and body will start automatizing those things on their own. Don't think of the steps you're not even supposed to think yet when you don't even know if you feel comfortable with something or not haha.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Will do e.e

That is true, it's just the odds are against the "lesser" player, which is why you constantly see the same names in tournaments.

Aye.

See, top 10, BAM.

Ehh, it's what I do.
Will try, it's just the reasoning for my thinking this way stems from watching tournaments and the commentators talking about those sorts of stuff I mentioned, so I felt the need to know it myself if I wanted to just get into fighting games.

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

Exactly. They're there mostly because of one thing in particular, consistency, BUT, nothing says you still can't do something about that either way. Strike where you can!

Like I said, I know I'm a good player, just not best player is all. Simple as that for me and I'm more than ok with that! :p

And you know, trying to learn is good! Just... make sure you don't overwhelm yourself with it. All the knowledge in the world won't be any good if you can't put it into practice. Have fun and learn the game first, if you wanna go deeper, that's when you start researching more haha.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Arcanel
Easier said then done xD

I know I would be ok with that, anything is better than the bottom e.e

But that's something I'm good at (overwhelming myself)! Wise words right there. Aye, just feels like a chore learning a new game and that is likely the reason fighting games and I haven't mixed well, since part of the "fun" in fighting games is learning.

Also, I feel that we have been just a tiny bit off-topic >_>...

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Read most of the stuff I've missed, but the posts get pretty long. lol

As far as a grappling character, aren't centaurs technically Ungulates? It'd definitely look out of place, but it's got mitts for grabbin'. Although I do like the giraffe idea.

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
@Zenopo

We probably did go a bit off topic but hey, it's not like it was a bad advice at the very least in terms of why can one play TFH haha. Either way, I wish you luck again and as said for the like billionth time already, remember to have fun, and do what you can! ^^

Tribble

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Giraffe came to my mind, too. And what about something that has a prehensile tail? Nothing says a griffin can't have one, right? Or maybe the trunk of a tapir could grab, too?

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
And what about something that has a prehensile tail?
As long as we're making up fantasy animals, we can always just invent something with the body of an ungulate and the hindquarters of an opossum.

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
This takes place in a cartoon world where an alpaca can knit a sweater out of her own fluff. With the right animation, a moose's antlers or a tapir's snout could be made to grapple even if they don't in real life.

I'm looking up Ungulates now and the Arctocyon looks like it might work for a grappler.
I'm sure scientists have good reason for classifying that thing as an ungulate but man it looks more like a predator. Look at those claws. It fits scientifically but maybe not thematically, especially since (as an omnivore) it would've eaten meat.

That said, +1 for spreading knowledge about extinct animals. I kinda want to read about the evolution of ungulates now that you've thrown me down that wikipedia rabbit hole.

Reactions: ty4brawl

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
I'm looking at mythological animals now, and there's some crazy stuff in here. Grappling Ungulate wise we've got questing beasts, ypotryll or maybe an ophiotaurus(even though it doesn't have 4 legs).

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
how about a Spider Pig?
That's brilliant! All of this grappler talk has come up before, in one of the backer forums, about half a year ago. They talked about spiders then too, but no one came up with Spider Pig. Hey, it's technically an ungulate!

This gives me another opportunity to share one of my favorite things to come out of the official TFH workstreams!

Also Called Spideer.

To stay on-topic, though:
Those of you who play fighting games, how crucial is it to have a grappler? Will that really entice more people?

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
I'm by no means emersed in the realm of fighting games, but I think it would be a plus for sure. They've already done a good job of making characters that fit different character types.

Edit: love the spideer. Makes me wonder what the others look like spiderfied.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
That's brilliant! All of this grappler talk has come up before, in one of the backer forums, about half a year ago. They talked about spiders then too, but no one came up with Spider Pig. Hey, it's technically an ungulate!

This gives me another opportunity to share one of my favorite things to come out of the official TFH workstreams!

Also Called Spideer.

Those of you who play fighting games, how crucial is it to have a grappler? Will that really entice more people?
Not crucial, but think of it this way. Grappling is a preferred playing style, so the more styles your fighting game has, the easier people will get into it. Fighting game players seem to stick to their preferred fighting style (as in, they choose the grapplers in every game), but they will adapt to a new style if necessary.

So, it's not required, it just makes the game even more appealing to more people.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com

Also Called Spideer.

Spideer is gold

TheGoldenW

Lens Flare Thinking Emoji Specialist
Banished to the Hold
Aug 5, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio

Also Called Spideer.

Oh no, not this again:arigrin:

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
@Pom d'or
I can't speak as someone who plays fighting games, but as a casual, I would like to have all the different types of fighters presented to me. Especially if I dabbled in fighters before, enjoyed grapplers and were to come here where there is none. I wouldn't like it very much to be forced into playing another style.

@ManeSix
Sorry, I got carried away -.-

@ty4brawl
Thanks for making that thread!

So anyone else have any ideas for making this game more appealing to people?

Reactions: ty4brawl

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Post launch support would be good, though I think that's a safe bet till at least the story and dlc goat are complete. Hopefully they'll also go back to being more vocal with the community like they were pre-beta. I know as a beta backers they've been posting updates for us, but it kinda leaves the rest in the dark till release. :/