Current Beta Status, and upcoming updates

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
Current Beta Status, and upcoming updates

If you're in the Backers' Beta tier, you might have noticed we've slowed down a bit pushing beta updates. That's due to most "standalone" issues being taken care of, and the majority of remaining things requiring interlocked systems or more complex solutions which can't be pushed in individual bites.

We've got a few things in that list, and have been working over the last two weeks on getting them solved (as well as handling VO recordings, but that's news for later). Once these things are taken care of, we'll be lifting the NDA on Backers' Beta. We won't be giving you a specific date yet (Universe hates us giving specific dates), but we can give you an idea of what's left to do and how done is it at the moment.

Here's a list of major features to be implemented in the coming days, ahead of the NDA lift.

Features
  • Arcade Mode vs AI
    • AI difficulty settings

Pixel Lobby
  • Full interface overhaul (Almost Finished!)
    • More controller/fightstick friendly inputs for 98% of pixel lobby interactions. Keyboard still required for typing in chat, but quick-chat will be an available feature for controller/fightstick users.
  • Music and sound effects (In Progress)
  • Score keeping and rewards (High Priority)

In Fights

• All characters animated (In progress.)
    • Say goodbye to cardboard cutouts! (80% done)
  • AI overhaul (In progress)
  • Fully implemented Dynamic Music System

Graphics:

• Resolution switch/fullscreen mode (Almost finished!)
  • FPS Stability over "acceptable" threshold for most of the playerbase (Almost there!)

Once we've sorted these out (And we're very close. Matter of days rather than weeks), we'll let you know about getting NDA officially lifted. Of course, there are still bugfixes to do, features to implement and corners to polish, but we believe once the stuff above has made it into game, it'll be in a "showable" enough state that we can let you guys stream, record or show around while we continue work.

We might also be inviting a few people outside the Backers' Beta pool to try the game, give us their opinion and maybe give the game a bit of promotion ahead of live release. We don't yet know who or how many, but we're giving it a think already.

We'd like to thank everyone for participating in the Backers' Beta, for your feebdack and bug reports, as well as to everyone in general for supporting Them's Fightin' Herds. We're so close to the finish line, guys, and it's all thanks to you!

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
Technically, it has now been "weeks" since your last update. Did you run into some unexpected difficulties?
Nope! At least not major ones. Some downtime in Steam's CDN servers prevented a patch coming out before EVO weekend and we decided to delay it, but that's been the biggest issue. Game's been updating, as people in the Backers Beta can attest. There's an update (previously mentioned patch) getting pushed in a few minutes, in fact.

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Nope! At least not major ones. Some downtime in Steam's CDN servers prevented a patch coming out before EVO weekend and we decided to delay it, but that's been the biggest issue. Game's been updating, as people in the Backers Beta can attest. There's an update (previously mentioned patch) getting pushed in a few minutes, in fact.
Good to hear it! I hope everything keeps running smoothly for you guys.

Reactions: PinkieFTW and Tox

Amethyst Star

Jul 24, 2017
Mane6, I found some Youtube videos that claimed to have a FREE link to download the game. I don't know if the file is real or not, but the website seems to be legit. But I think this needs to be stopped.

Reactions: PinkieFTW and Tox

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
Mane6, I found some Youtube videos that claimed to have a FREE link to download the game. I don't know if the file is real or not, but the website seems to be legit. But I think this needs to be stopped.
Yeah I seen those videos on YouTube a week ago. Wasn't sure it was legit or not didn't want to catch a virus or some sort.
I can't seem to find these. Have you directly private messaged Mane6?
Just type in Them's Fighting herds and check the recently upload date.

Reactions: PinkieFTW

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
I took a glance at one of them and shot it down pretty fast. You aren't able to download the game to XBox or PSN if I'm not mistaken, but I don't wanna click that link unless I'm running a virtual machine or something. If it is real, it's a pretty illegal to be tossing around a pirated copy. I'm pretty sure that this is also a breach of NDA. :/

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Wouldn't it suck if all the Mane6 team got together to do some last charge work before the NDA lift, and then the house they were in exploded (and then...exploded again!) and they all died and nobody knew they were doing this so we are just left like this until someone finds out they were working on this and that we are here.

sokolgs

TFH Streamer
Jan 4, 2017
Russia, Moscow city
Gees, looks like the release can easily be late to the Tournament, and i will have more problems to solve. But hey, NDA is almost dead guys!
M6 is super busy, so i feel like we are close.

Wouldn't it suck if all the Mane6 team got together to do some last charge work before the NDA lift, and then the house they were in exploded (and then...exploded again!) and they all died and nobody knew they were doing this so we are just left like this until someone finds out they were working on this and that we are here.
Lol, the project that cannot be finished! Many of M6 tried to finish it, but died and the project starts from the begining everytime. Like in SCP. :fred:

Last edited by a moderator:

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I agree with the people above. It has been over a month since you made this announcement, so either you forgot to give us the update on the NDA lift, something unexpected has happened (in which case, what is it?), or you have a very different concept of "days, not weeks" compared to us.

Pendayle

Aug 9, 2017
is there some type of fan kit made. i'm trying to get others into this and i fear the lack of advertisement is hurting. most folks i mentioned to think this game fell through.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
It most assuredly hasn't fallen through. Damn the rumors are mounting D:
Yeah, that's how rumors usually go.

Here's thing. I can't give you guys a solid definitive answer right now. There's three or four things currently getting juggled and up in the air that need to land so I can point names and name fingers. All the signs point to said juggled stuff not landing until at least next week. Or at least some of these things, at which point I can let you guys know what's been happening and why things are in their current status. We've got some promising positive stuff in there, some explanations too, and some compromises. Sometimes things don't go according to initial plan (we wanted to release in April, for example), but that doesn't by any means, ways, shapes or forms dictate that everything's caught on fire and panic should take over. Come on guys. We've dev'd through snow, storms, and whatnots, and we still exist. We ain't going to suddenly give up and go "welp, guess that's that".

Game's going to release this side of new year, one way or the other. It has to. Not only because we promised you guys a game, but because internal administrative reasons, because we must, because we want to, and because we won't just let it narf out. So there's that. It's happening even if Nappy has to carry game through an uphill minefield in the middle of a snowstorm while juggling a pineapple with his tongue. OR ELSE.

Money wise. We budgeted certain amounts for each thing specifically at the start of the crowdfund. So far, (and even with a couple unexpected things happening through dev since we started on it), everything's been reasonably accurate in its costs. We've still got the money we earmarked for goat, for example. Everything post initial dev (Which is goat & mac/linux), still there. Rewards. Still there. We've not cannibalized anything to cover something else, and the ship remains reasonably afloat. Doesn't look like we'll have to start covering holes with money either. (Unless really major stuff happened. Say, giant ants taking over the world). So there's that too.

Our only constant archnemesis has always been time, and the universe continuing to conspire against us (insert tinfoil hat here... actually, do we have a tinfoil hat in the lobby accessory list?... mhm... ), but the dudes with the purple banners under their avatars can testify that the beta's been receiving updates and features in addition to bugfixes. We've got another update lined up, actually. Should happen today (or maybe tomorrow?) depending on internal testing results.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana

Here's thing. I can't give you guys a solid definitive answer right now. There's three or four things currently getting juggled and up in the air that need to land so I can point names and name fingers. All the signs point to said juggled stuff not landing until at least next week. Or at least some of these things, at which point I can let you guys know what's been happening and why things are in their current status. We've got some promising positive stuff in there, some explanations too, and some compromises. Sometimes things don't go according to initial plan (we wanted to release in April, for example), but that doesn't by any means, ways, shapes or forms dictate that everything's caught on fire and panic should take over. Come on guys. We've dev'd through snow, storms, and whatnots, and we still exist. We ain't going to suddenly give up and go "welp, guess that's that".

Game's going to release this side of new year, one way or the other. It has to. Not only because we promised you guys a game, but because internal administrative reasons, because we must, because we want to, and because we won't just let it narf out. So there's that. It's happening even if Nappy has to carry game through an uphill minefield in the middle of a snowstorm while juggling a pineapple with his tongue. OR ELSE.

Money wise. We budgeted certain amounts for each thing specifically at the start of the crowdfund. So far, (and even with a couple unexpected things happening through dev since we started on it), everything's been reasonably accurate in its costs. We've still got the money we earmarked for goat, for example. Everything post initial dev (Which is goat & mac/linux), still there. Rewards. Still there. We've not cannibalized anything to cover something else, and the ship remains reasonably afloat. Doesn't look like we'll have to start covering holes with money either. (Unless really major stuff happened. Say, giant ants taking over the world). So there's that too.

Our only constant archnemesis has always been time, and the universe continuing to conspire against us (insert tinfoil hat here... actually, do we have a tinfoil hat in the lobby accessory list?... mhm... ), but the dudes with the purple banners under their avatars can testify that the beta's been receiving updates and features in addition to bugfixes. We've got another update lined up, actually. Should happen today (or maybe tomorrow?) depending on internal testing results.

^ ^
This guys. I know it's disheartening to wait for a game when on paper it should be out.
Sure the progress updates are getting a little slow, that still doesn't mean nothing is getting worked on.
As we beta testers can testify the game is getting worked no and since I can't really say much more than please be patient the end result will be worth the wait

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016

Thanks for that. This is exactly the kind of message I wanted to read from the dev team. Just a "everything's still going smooth, don't worry even if we're keeping quiet to non-beta testers, we haven't encountered a massive problem that will delay us for ten years".

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
is there some type of fan kit made. i'm trying to get others into this and i fear the lack of advertisement is hurting. most folks i mentioned to think this game fell through.
Sure sound like people who don't actually follow the game at all and don't come to these forums. There was a beta patch literally a week ago. It -obviously- hasn't fallen through.

Nonetheless, thanks for the hilarious post. People just need to remember that game development is hard, maaaan. Stuff can and often will take longer than expected and it's always prudent to expect the unexpected. You guys rock it, I know you'll get everything going soon enough. :)

Now if only I could get around to playing the beta more.

JunaECBS

BetaBoi
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Brazil
Sure sound like people who don't actually follow the game at all and don't come to these forums. There was a beta patch literally a week ago. It -obviously- hasn't fallen through.
Okay, that's unfair. Non-beta people can't see the part of the forums where beta patches are announced.

In any case, I'm glad someone from the dev team came forward to speak (especially the part where money is involved); I was getting worried about why they were silent to "the outside world", and it's not like I can just speak about the game in their place. Now, on to the day the NDA is lifted!

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
Non-beta people can't see the part of the forums where beta patches are announced.
Not only can we not see it, the last official information we had received was "We ran into minor problems", this was on July 17. People were not worried about the game getting delayed, most of us do understand that major projects tend to face setbacks, some (not me tho) were getting a bit anxious because of absolute silence, what Anu did there was just what these folks needed, reassurance that everything is going to be okay and that patience is a virtue.

Pendayle

Aug 9, 2017
sorry, didn't mean to sound rude, just my only source of info were the twitch/YouTube streams. and yeah, some didn't follow the game, but we play fighting games and im trying to get them interested in it cause i like it. aesthetics plays a big part in fighting games and as far as indie fighting games goes, there is kinda a small war building up.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Okay, that's unfair. Non-beta people can't see the part of the forums where beta patches are announced.
Hm. It didn't even occur to me that the beta update logs were posted there. There should be a way to keep everybody in the loop, then. Maybe they should post something to the indiegogo at some point.

sorry, didn't mean to sound rude, just my only source of info were the twitch/YouTube streams. and yeah, some didn't follow the game, but we play fighting games and im trying to get them interested in it cause i like it. aesthetics plays a big part in fighting games and as far as indie fighting games goes, there is kinda a small war building up.
A lot of people I've seen didn't even notice the Twitch/YouTube archives! They just remembered the game being announced a year and a half ago and have done NO research, and then act shocked when they find out it's still being worked on. ;D