Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
betaannouncementbannerdoodle.png

Good news everyone!

The moment we've all been waiting for is finally at hand.

Backers Beta begins* on Thursday, May 25 PT.

*Subject to slight time variation due to circumstances out of our control, like Steam's key distribution/approval system (i.e. not "midnight" or something)

So there you have it. Watch the universe spontaneously combust now we've given a date.

Also, have a FAQ.

Q: Beta when?
A: May 25.

Q: Beta who?
A: Backers on $40 tiers and above. Upgrading tiers isn't available at this time (and unlikely to be in the future)

Q: Beta where?
A: Steam. Valid Steam account + online connection required. Windows PC Only. Mac/Linux beta happening post windows release.

Q: Beta what?
A: Training Mode, Local /Online Multiplayer, and Lobbies will be available.

Q: Minimum requirements?
A: Pretty open! Beta will help us find out how elastic they are before giving hard reqs for release. Here's some (conservative) baselines.
  • Dual-core CPU (2 GHz or greater speed)
  • DirectX 9C capable graphics card* (DirectX 10 capable card recommended**)
  • Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 ***
  • 2 GB available space
  • Broadband Internet connection
  • 2 GB RAM (3 GB recommended)

*lowest tested card: Intel Core i3 550 Integrated graphics chipset
**If your computer is less than 7 years old, it probably has a DirectX 10 ready card)
***Windows XP/Vista may work, but we have not tested on these platforms. We will be testing for compatability thoughout beta.

Q: How long will beta last?
A: Undefined. Until we've achieved a stable enough release.

Q: NDA?
A: Yes. Partially.

Q: Meaning?
A: During the first few days of beta (or more, or less, depending) players will be subject to an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement), which means you're not allowed to share screenshots or videos, stream gameplay, etcetera. You're required to agree to the NDA in order to participate in the Backers' Beta. Accounts breaching the NDA will forfeit access to Backers' Beta. Once the NDA period ends, (we'll let you know when), these restrictions will be lifted.

Q: Keys where?
A: If you qualify for Backers' Beta, you'll get a steam-redeemable key when it starts via e-mail from backerkit system.

Q: Bug reports where?
A: Our forum. (You'll need upgraded account to view the Beta sections. Beta Tester account upgrade might take up to 24hours after registering, so please register before beta!)

Need more details? got questions?, Let us have 'em, thread open!

TechWire

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
www.twitch.tv
Well that's some good news. What characters are gonna be available during the beta? I assume not all of them.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Out on my last day of Finals, then I go on a 10 day vacation soon after so I will be playing a lot (I hope) in that time period.

Reactions: Tox

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
Well that's some good news. What characters are gonna be available during the beta? I assume not all of them.
Part of the reason they waited this long it to fix the sprites that were incomplete on the remaining characters. While not all of them will have their fully polished animations on beta day, from what I understand all characters will be playable come next week. Animations will still be getting updated moving towards release, movesets/mechanics will still be subject to change, etc.
(not counting Goat, for the record)

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
That's great news. Really looking forward to trying it.
(By the way, if it's not a derail, may I ask who did the tea party splash art at the top of this thread? I love it!)

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Will you have some guidelines on what to look for and report about the beta? What info is needed, what data should be shared, that sort of stuff... for people like me new to this beta-ing and reporting thing?
This would be most helpful. We want to help you guys make this as amzaing as possible, but it will be difficult if we don't know how we can, or what to keep an eye out for. At least, for those of us who are new to this sort of thing.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Parka Pi

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Do I need to buy a controller in preparation? I only have a keyboard, a mouse, and a rarely-used Steam Controller I don't like using.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
A lot of people like keyboard/mouse. If you get really comfortable with that and want to move toward something a bit more specialized, pick up a hitbox.

But really, just do what is comfortable. There is a great player out there in each of k/m, controller, stick, hitbox.

Reactions: Firekirby

Heilos

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else or in the past, but do you guys know a general idea of how many character animations will be filled in by the time Beta goes live? I know things are gonna continue to be updated for the final release, but I was mostly just curious since you guys are working hard on filling those in right now among other things.

Can't wait either way and I'm so proud of you guys getting all the way to this point so far. ^^

AnsisMalins

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't remember anymore, did the backer survey ask for my Steam ID? Or are you gonna distribute the keys by email?

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't remember anymore, did the backer survey ask for my Steam ID? Or are you gonna distribute the keys by email?
To your email via the BackerKit system. It's right there in the OP!

cathead

Fluffy Reindeer Enthusiast
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Woo, day after my birthday and right before a 5-day weekend off from work! Couldn't ask for better timing.

Reactions: Negagenesis

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Sweet.

With the NDA in effect I won't be able to UL videos, however I probably will record one with my first time playing (horribly, I'm sure, I'm not very good at fighting games). I'll just have to wait until the NDA is lifted before I can UL it, correct? Obviously I would note that it's an initial Beta version of the game, and not final, etc.

Do I need to buy a controller in preparation? I only have a keyboard, a mouse, and a rarely-used Steam Controller I don't like using.
I'm sure they'd like feebdack on people using KB&M. Most will probably be using controllers (I know I will), but there is a subset of Fighting Game fans that use KB&M. They might appreciate opinions on how well it performs with the Steam Controller, but I'm sure they wouldn't want you to feel obligated to use it if you don't want to.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Sweet.

With the NDA in effect I won't be able to UL videos, however I probably will record one with my first time playing (horribly, I'm sure, I'm not very good at fighting games). I'll just have to wait until the NDA is lifted before I can UL it, correct? Obviously I would note that it's an initial Beta version of the game, and not final, etc.
From what I have gathered on the NDA, NO content will be allowed to be made during the NDA period, which is understandable with the main reason for the NDA on the backers beta being to seek out bugs, test various options that the game will have and giving feebdack to the developers.

Dotham

The Magical Journey Begins, 魔法の旅は始まります
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 24, 2016
YAY!!!

( ) ( )
(' u ')
(") (")o

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
From what I have gathered on the NDA, NO content will be allowed to be made during the NDA period, which is understandable with the main reason for the NDA on the backers beta being to seek out bugs, test various options that the game will have and giving feebdack to the developers.
It stated that during the NDA period (which will last a few days) you won't be allowed to share screens/videos, or stream. After it's lifted, it's presumably A-OK to do so. Mentioning that it's the beta version and thus not complete should be sufficient to alleviate concerns.

If someone from the dev team could clarify this, that would be great though.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I would say not to upload things from the NDA'd period of the beta. The whole point of the NDA time is to iron out the initial bugs that will happen due to massive server loads compared to the minimal stuff we have had up until then, as well as a few other things. If your videos end up showing off the bugs and broken things from a period of time where we have people NDA'd, it would be rather silly to upload that since it was what we're trying to prevent in the first place.

Reactions: fe328 and Tox

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I would say not to upload things from the NDA'd period of the beta. The whole point of the NDA time is to iron out the initial bugs that will happen due to massive server loads compared to the minimal stuff we have had up until then, as well as a few other things. If your videos end up showing off the bugs and broken things from a period of time where we have people NDA'd, it would be rather silly to upload that since it was what we're trying to prevent in the first place.
So, you're saying that there will be a game update right when the NDA ends that will fix some of the bugs?

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
Pardon the series of questions but I felt they might be pertinent:

- Will we be given a general list of known bugs so that we can ignore them whilst doing the beta test?
- Should we skip listing visual bugs entirely and prioritize the technical and mechanical bugs?
- Would you want us to only report game breaking/major bugs and leave the minor/trival bugs to you guys?

Reactions: Tox

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Pardon the series of questions but I felt they might be pertinent:
Report everything. We will let you know if it's known or anything of that sort, but just report everything. It's better to have everything mentioned no matter how small, rather than something going unnoticed because it wasn't deemed important enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.