Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Out of curiosity, does it recognize it as "PC USB Wired Stick 8838"?
No, but it does say PC USB Wired Stick 8818 and whenever I go into the settings to test the stick, none of the buttons register with my laptop regardless what I have the stick toggled to (ie: LS, DP, or RS).

what game are you trying to get it working on?
Not anything specifically. At least not yet. I was planning on using it for TFH when it released and wanted to try and get it working before the beta releases.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
No, but it does say PC USB Wired Stick 8818 and whenever I go into the settings to test the stick, none of the buttons register with my laptop regardless what I have the stick toggled to (ie: LS, DP, or RS).
Yeah, this is an issue with some of the older PS3 Tournament Edition sticks. They don't function properly on PC, or at least on some motherboards. That stick is likely not going to work on PC at all unless you swap out the internals.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah, this is an issue with some of the older PS3 Tournament Edition sticks. They don't function properly on PC, or at least on some motherboards. That stick is likely not going to work on PC at all unless you swap out the internals.
Boo, figures that I'd have to basically take apart my entire fight stick to make it work. Friggin' MadCatz. Oh well, guess I'm sticking with my PS4 controllers then. Least I got that to work wirelessly with my laptop.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Actually, MadCatz sticks were the best, though usually only their TE line. Depending what this stick was upgraded with (probably a better joystick and buttons, which is all it would need), it's not online "fine", but "preferred."

Reportedly, the main reason MadCatz filed for bankruptcy was poor Rock Band 4 sales, since MadCatz made the instruments for that.[/QUOTdon'real
I never really liked Madcatz. I received terrible customer service from them when the TE2 preorders were still happening. I ended up buying a Hori instead.

Xlerb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah I preordered the Hori Tekken 7 stick and now I'm itching to get my hands on it with every passing day.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
If anyone ever wants a Fight stick, I highly reccomend a Qanba Q4 RAF. It works with PS3, Xbox and PC. You can take it to just about ANY tournament venue and expect it to work! plus it's easy to customize!

As example, check out mine!:

It prices around 250$ if I recall correctly, but I've had mine for three years so trust me, it's well worth it!
Do you still recommend this? If so where did you get that print? XD

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com

Xlerb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 25, 2017
The Art on it I "made" myself, assembling a BG and a Giant cutout of the splash art. Some sprucing up and placed Logo's places and that's it.
Qanba is top tier in my eyes-- now especially since Mad Katz croaked.
From what I've learned since falling down this rabbit hole to learn about sticks is that Qanba and Hori are awesome choices, masters of their craft and all personal choice on which you play.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
From what I've learned since falling down this rabbit hole to learn about sticks is that Qanba and Hori are awesome choices, masters of their craft and all personal choice on which you play.
Well, you're not wrong. Hori and Qanba are both fine choices. I need to experience Sanwa parts for myself, though. I will when I mod my stick again next month. I'll make sure to post it here for you guys.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Did you use adhesive backed paper for that or something else? Everyone that I know personally use adhesive backed paper.
Where would you get adhesive paper? I normally do a non sticky print then pin it under plexiglass. Makes it easier to change art.

Reactions: Redness

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Did you use adhesive backed paper for that or something else? Everyone that I know personally use adhesive backed paper.
Welcome to Art's Hobbies
They make these for other sticks too.

Well, you're not wrong. Hori and Qanba are both fine choices. I need to experience Sanwa parts for myself, though. I will when I mod my stick again next month. I'll make sure to post it here for you guys.
I think they're referring to the FIghtstick itself, not the joystick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ok! I think I may just get the 'Eightarc - Drone', Does anyone think that there are any components that should be replaced?
Unless they're Sanwa parts people usually replace the Joystick and Buttons, but honestly, it all boils down to preference since they perform the same function.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ok, thanks for the help! I'm new to buying fighting sticks and to the fighting game scene as a whole! :D
(Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question)
What dimensions does the paper have to be to fit perfectly like that?
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/db63/nme0accxrsxp23gzg.jpg?size_id=d
If you're thinking of Getting Artwork for the drone it won't be possible since the top is one solid piece. If you wanted artwork you'd have to use some kind of adhesive wrap. or take apart the entire stick removing all the electrical components and painting it.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
If you're thinking of Getting Artwork for the drone it won't be possible since the top is one solid piece. If you wanted artwork you'd have to use some kind of adhesive wrap. or take apart the entire stick removing all the electrical components and painting it.
I see, how about for the Qanba Q4? That's possible to customize right? Or am I missing something? 0_o

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
BROS! I wanna play Guilty Gear on PS4, but playstation controllers ain't shid. I'm thinking a fight stick will make dragon inputs actually possible. Now, I don't want to spend anymore than $200 at most. What's good?

Oct 31, 2017
I personally use an Xbox 360 fight stick Madcatz Fightstick Pro and it works just fine. Basically /any/ fightstick will be better than a controller, especially if a controller is all you're used to.
What Ponker here said. Seriously, this model is both effective and not that hard to find at a decent price at least from my experience. I got my for something like 80USD and so did an associate. There will be people who overcharge, perhaps for the skin on it but I have not had a hard time finding it. I like the model and the parts but its very easy to mod if you want to go something like Seimitsu or Hori. That said its how many there are I think makes its ideal. Perhaps you will have worse luck than me but I hope not. Either way its a good place to start.
Better advise to give would be to say that anything going below 80 is BAD. Actually 80 is not that good and usually you want to go for around 100.
200 is a fair price but anything above that is insane unless you are dying to get a collector's item or you are paying shipping.

Only now do I realize how old this thread is...and I hope I can still help someone! Post more sticks and good luck to future players finding theirs!
No one needs a stick to win but it is fun and my preference. I feel like everyone should try it to feel what its like and sadly that is not as easy with the arcade era pushed behind us for the most part. Again post more sticks.~

Reactions: Lanxide

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I feel like everyone should try it to feel what its like
I had a fight stick for awhile but ended up dropping it for pad. Not because fight stick sucks but because my inputs is much better on pad than it was on stick. On stick I had trouble inputting dash, double quarter circles, and half circle fowards.
Don't get me wrong my execution on pad isn't flawless either, I'm still not good with dashes and dp motions (I'm better at so motion on stick though).

Since I have experience in pad, fight pad, and fight stick I can adjust to all 3 when needed.

Reactions: Tox

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I agree with Lanxide in that I'm finding dashing on a fight stick to be very unreliable. You have to be very clean with your input (which can be hard under pressure), otherwise it will just walk you forward twice and nowhere near where you wanted to be.
Other than that fightsticks go gud.

I'm thinking of saving some money and buying a Xim4 and a mechanical keyboard.

Salty Beef

Fau Con, at your service.
What Ponker here said. Seriously, this model is both effective and not that hard to find at a decent price at least from my experience. I got my for something like 80USD and so did an associate. There will be people who overcharge, perhaps for the skin on it but I have not had a hard time finding it. I like the model and the parts but its very easy to mod if you want to go something like Seimitsu or Hori. That said its how many there are I think makes its ideal. Perhaps you will have worse luck than me but I hope not. Either way its a good place to start.
Better advise to give would be to say that anything going below 80 is BAD. Actually 80 is not that good and usually you want to go for around 100.
200 is a fair price but anything above that is insane unless you are dying to get a collector's item or you are paying shipping.

Only now do I realize how old this thread is...and I hope I can still help someone! Post more sticks and good luck to future players finding theirs!
No one needs a stick to win but it is fun and my preference. I feel like everyone should try it to feel what its like and sadly that is not as easy with the arcade era pushed behind us for the most part. Again post more sticks.~

I bought a 80 dollar Mayflash F500 Fight stick and it seems pretty good to me. of course I've never had one before but even with its "cheap" buttons it seems good. and I can always switch out the buttons on it for better ones. either way I do agree, everyone should try a fightstick at least once.

I had a fight stick for awhile but ended up dropping it for pad. Not because fight stick sucks but because my inputs is much better on pad than it was on stick. On stick I had trouble inputting dash, double quarter circles, and half circle fowards.
Don't get me wrong my execution on pad isn't flawless either, I'm still not good with dashes and dp motions (I'm better at so motion on stick though).

Since I have experience in pad, fight pad, and fight stick I can adjust to all 3 when needed.

interesting that you mention the dashing. on my Xbox360 and 8bitdo NES30 I had a hard time doing quarter circles and dash's. but with my fight stick I seem to be able to do both better. I did change my gate to 8 way though so that probably helped with the circles.

also I wish I knew this thread existed, I would have put my fight stick stuff here instead of "The Legitimacy of Controls"
all well. I should search next time.

Reactions: NightmareViolet

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I've said this before in many other threads, and I'll say it again here for good measure since it seems to be relevant again.

Do not take anyone's opinion on using a particular controller as law or as the good word or anything. Find what works for you. As long as you feel comfortable with what you use, that is all that matters.

I feel like everyone should try it to feel what its like[...]
Despite the wording, I agree with this in a sense. If you are a big enough fan of fighting games, it would be beneficial to you to see where it all started, with arcades, and sticks, and visceral clacky buttons. If it isn't for you, that's quite fine, you've shared in the origin story for all fighting games, and you can feel good about that.

You have to be very clean with your input[...]
Now I'm close to being upset about this. This is the exact same no matter what method of control you are using. You hear me here? If you are at the same level of muscle memory or skill with stick that you are with pad, you are still going to have issues with execution. Those issues can be with motions as simple as dashing or as difficult as throw > RRC > 22S > and then link a 5S.

All that matters is practicing with the controller of your choice. Take the time, do basic movements, and go from there.

Reactions: Salty Beef

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
You want the quick answer? Which is I printed it and cut it myself. Or you want the longer answer

uhhh.. long one? I mostly wondered how you printed the background that large. cuz a normal sized piece of paper isn't big enough for that fight stick.[/QUOTE]
1. Go online and find a template for your arcade stick. This is sometimes a Photoshop file, sometimes an Illustrator file and use it to adjust your image to make it fit. The lines in the template will also make it way easier in the cutting process.
2. Save it as a .pdf file and bring it to my local printing store. I go to Desco but I definitely do not know what you guys go to.
3. Now depending on if I want to print it on my RAP 3/4 or my Venom, how to print it is different.
- For the RAP 3/4, I ask to print a poster with semi-glossy print and with matte lamination. I have matte lamination because I do not have plexi-glass. The lamination is important as without it the ink rubs off from sweaty hands. As it is a poster, paper size doesn't matter
- For the Venom, as it already has plexi-glass I have them print it on poster paper with a matte print out. Usually on A3 paper but they can print it on poster paper if it's too big.
4. Cutting out the shape and holes. I use the default print out an lay it on top of my custom artwork to guide me on my cutting.
5. Lastly, installing it into my stick.