Happy Birthday Shade
Two Weeks

K, no more memes

fenster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hey, this is actually a game I play.

I use Double, Fukua, and Cerebella because that team is the fairest. :^) I've also been learning Valentine recently for a change of pace.
Yeah but when are you going to learn an interesting character? :^P

Reactions: Fosh and gllt
Great to all be here again. I can only hope that in the coming election, I can safely bet that you'll all be voting for the soon-to-be POTUS: Juju.

All that aside, I still main Solo-Val, but I've been trying to spend more and more time with Robo Fortune + Double. I've been getting some decent results out of them.

Sharpie

Avid Shitposter
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
twitter.com
Just a reminder that one of the devs, @Oreo, plays SG and hates it so much that he reminds people how often he plays it at every Xanadu and major he goes to.

SMOOTCHES OREO

Reactions: gllt

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Well, before my controller broke (I used a USB Snes controller, and it worked like a dream), I mainly played Parasoul, Squiggly, and Big Band. I especially loved Big ol' Brassafrass, and was trying to learn how to play him solo.

I'm probably not getting a new controller for a good long while, so I'm probably out of the skullgirls scene unless I have the money to repair or replace it.

AsiagoUnicorn

The Best at Being Okay
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Well, before my controller broke (I used a USB Snes controller, and it worked like a dream), I mainly played Parasoul, Squiggly, and Big Band. I especially loved Big ol' Brassafrass, and was trying to learn how to play him solo.

I'm probably not getting a new controller for a good long while, so I'm probably out of the skullgirls scene unless I have the money to repair or replace it.
Give keyboard a shot! I may just be an intermediate player, but the game plays just fine on keyboard. And if you're having problems with ghosting and such, that's a problem with your keyboard specifically, and not keyboards in general.

Mirage Seraph

Goat On A Thread
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Give keyboard a shot! I may just be an intermediate player, but the game plays just fine on keyboard. And if you're having problems with ghosting and such, that's a problem with your keyboard specifically, and not keyboards in general.
I'm still unsure of why people say keyboard is bad (outside of performing 360 motions but Mike Z fixed that)
Been playing on keyboard for years, never really felt I was at a disadvantage.

fenster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
There isn't anything wrong with playing keyboard itself, the largest hurdle is if you play on keyboard but also want to go to tournaments/locals. Usually it's reccomended for keyboard users to switch to hitbox. But if you don't plan on going to offline events, then there's nothing stopping you from doing keyboard.

Mirage Seraph

Goat On A Thread
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
There isn't anything wrong with playing keyboard itself, the largest hurdle is if you play on keyboard but also want to go to tournaments/locals. Usually it's reccomended for keyboard users to switch to hitbox. But if you don't plan on going to offline events, then there's nothing stopping you from doing keyboard.
Why is it a hurdle for tourneys and such? Are they not permitted?

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I played this game for a while. I'll admit, I picked it up because I wanted to get used to the quirks of the Z-Engine once it was confirmed we'd be using it. That being said, I entered tournaments up until early 2015, when I kinda lost interest in playing it competitively. If I see people playing casuals at a venue though, I'll sometimes feel inclined to hop on and get destroyed.

Reactions: Geno

Geno

The Prince of Dragons
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I played this game for a while. I'll admit, I picked it up because I wanted to get used to the quirks of the Z-Engine once it was confirmed we'd be using it. That being said, I entered tournaments up until early 2015, when I kinda lost interest in playing it competitively. If I see people playing casuals at a venue though, I'll sometimes feel inclined to hop on and get destroyed.
See me in casuals at Winter Brawl?

Geno

The Prince of Dragons
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Maaaan
Fine, Summer Jam? I'll let you body me in Marvel in return

D-Money107

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I mainly play Filia, Parasoul, and Eliza. Trying to work on adding Fukua. I like to fool around in Training Mode with the rest of the cast for some fun stuff.

Reactions: Geno

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm still torn between Fillia, Peacock and Ms. Fortune for my favorite. So I'll just say that this trio is my fav to play as.

Magma442

Fugfag Husbando.
Feb 4, 2016
I mainly play Solobella but I'm thinking of picking up Parasoul so I've been practicing with her for a bit.

BDNation

you wot m8?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If anyone want to go a few rounds feel free to add me on steam.:D

Sharpie

Avid Shitposter
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
twitter.com
Hi, what's good.

I'm actually really happy to see your thread because I was trying to do the same thing in the Skullgirls community. I initially started by helping out in an online weekly tournament called "Newbie Night" and ran it along side DoubleDark, before I moved out to making my own show called "I Wanna Be The Skullgirl" which kinda crashed and burned before moving over to another format.

In any case, I don't think I've ever talked to you at events, since I was relatively drunk at almost all the majors I go to, but I really respect what you're doing mostly because its something that is essential to the game and community growing in a positive manner.

Now, I know what you're thinking, "But Sharpie! This isn't a shitpost!"

Reactions: Oreo

Sharpie

Avid Shitposter
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
twitter.com
I'm hoping my focus with the newer fighting game players will help force me to get better for their sake so I can more easily integrate into communities like yours.
Getting better just takes time and patience.

For now, just focus on listening to the more experienced players and finding simple and easy ways to regurgitate that to newer players. I think that its incredibly important to stay open to all types of advice since you're essentially going to be the liaison for people who don't really understand things.

If you don't have the knowledge, be sure to mention that when you're teaching. The most important thing is being open and trustworthy.

Anyway, if you ever need help, I'd be more than happy to assist. I'm really just an intermediate player, but I love helping out!

Reactions: Songhacker

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
Skullgirls is probably my main game, at least until TFH comes out. I'm trying to pick up Fortune and Robo-Fortune at the moment, but if I'm feeling particularly salty I'll use Squigly and Bella. >D

Adwins

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Man, Squig Bella is nuts and you should feel bad.

It's the team I eventually wnat to play lol. but for now I've got Squigly/Ezlia under my belt.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
It's also possible you think my idea's a crock and that I should get way better before trying to do all this.
Let me just say I'd disagree if someone did say that. Being top-level in a game and being a good teacher/organiser aren't directly connected skills.

I mean sure, it's pretty great if both are there, but point is I've known people who were very good at the game while teaching/organising just wasn't their thing, as well as (and this is the important part) people who were okay-ish at the game, but helped keep communities alive thanks to drive to the provide good things and the persistence to do it regularly and consistently.

That said, any reason and any initiative to have a thing going, to have people meet online and play vs each other is good. Even if there isn't any direct teaching or not a high-level one going on, the fact alone that people develop competitive feelings about the game and spar with each other frequently boosts their experience bit by bit. Multiply that by how many people a thing manages to keep interested and bam, you got a functional online community.

Last edited: