Overwatch

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
My inner tank is scared of suddenly being shieldless while fighting her.

And then I'm going to laugh when I do exactly that as her.

Swasfews

Mostly Quiet
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
As a Torb and Semmrtra player, this makes me weep openly inside.
I'm not too worried on the Sym side. Her normal hacking looks like it works on a single target. Other characters would probably be better for her to hack than Sym, and anyone who finds the turrets would just blow them up anyway. Same with her tele. EMP probably ruins everything.

Good luck to you though, Torb.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I'm not too worried on the Sym side. Her normal hacking looks like it works on a single target. Other characters would probably be better for her to hack than Sym, and anyone who finds the turrets would just blow them up anyway. Same with her tele. EMP probably ruins everything.

Good luck to you though, Torb.
;_;

But I wonder what she can do to the teleporter, if anything. I mean, goodness knows it's hard enough for that thing to be useful already.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Boop. Okay, I AM going to get a new videocard just to be able to play. She looks awesome.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Alright guys, I think we should cool it with these ice/Mei puns before they get out of hand and we end up with a blizzard of them. Mei-be we should just get them out of our system before putting them on ice. Last thing we want is for discussion to get snowed in. Cool? Cool.

(Also Sombra is out on the PTR for PC players. Us console users just have to keep waiting I guess. :()

Also also I'm so sorry (sorry! I'm sorry, sorry. Sorry...)

Edit: As an aside I can't believe I didn't think of that Sombra-Sombra connection before, cause that is fantastic.

Last edited:

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Alright guys, I think we should cool it with these ice/Mei puns before they get out of hand and we end up with a blizzard of them. Mei-be we should just get them out of our system before putting them on ice. Last thing we want is for discussion to get snowed in. Cool? Cool.

(Also Sombra is out on the PTR for PC players. Us console users just have to keep waiting I guess. :()

Also also I'm so sorry (sorry! I'm sorry, sorry. Sorry...)

Edit: As an aside I can't believe I didn't think of that Sombra-Sombra connection before, cause that is fantastic.
Alright, what about other puns? It's about time we stopped going ape going scientist with these ice puns. We need a new bastion of puns, what about that that Lucio guy? I hear he's pretty in rhythm with puns.
She hacked his heart.
His crystal heart?

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So another free weekend is happening on November 18-21 for all platforms this time. I haven't tried the full game on PC yet so this'll be good to try out.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
So another free weekend is happening on November 18-21 for all platforms this time. I haven't tried the full game on PC yet so this'll be good to try out.
If I am lucky today, I will have a videocard to run it by then. Fingers crossed. I will not have any money left to buy the game though:D

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
My buddy is going to give the game a try during the free weekend; my other friend that I normally play Overwatch with and I are both excited to actually have more than just the two of us in a party.

Also, I haven't had the time to play a match yet but I did mess with Sombra in the training area and she seems incredibly fun to play as but she also the potential to be a huge pest on the other team. I'll probably get a chance to try her out later tonight.

CactusPearGamer

Sheep Dude
Banished to the Hold
Feb 4, 2016
Southeastern United States
As a Symmetra main, I'm grateful that Sombra exists. People tend to stick together more now that she makes being alone so much more dangerous, which means you can hit people with your big balls much easier, which activates Sombra's wallhacks on them, causing Sombra to engage them, offering a distraction for you to gain momentum with your primary fire and do a lot of damage and kills and ult charge. It's pretty great.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
So what do you all think about the new Arcade modes? I wasn't really interested in them at first but then I queued up for a 1v1 and it was a ton of fun. Me and the other player kinda screwed around for a couple rounds before having an intense game that came down to the last few shots. Then we grouped up for 3v3 and that was great as well. I played D.Va in one round and used my ult to corner an enemy D.Va while Roadhog was nearby, taking them out and winning the round. It's so tense but incredibly rewarding to be the savior for your team; I haven't really played a game type like that since Search and Destroy in one of the old CoD games I last played. I still probably won't play a lot of it but it's pretty fun so far.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Hey, I'm here to ruin your day.

I really wanted to play this game. I play a lot of TF2, but after a few poor decisions from them I thought I'd check out Overwatch. I had nosey into how the game works and long story short I found out about limited-time cosmetics. Now I don't care about missing the pre-order exclusives, those are an industry standard at this point. I also don't care about unique rewards for competitive players that change every season, the dedicated fans deserve a prize. And I can understand why convention-exclusive items would be limited edition too. The issue I have is the limited time Summer Games and Halloween items.

I've never really been one for 100% completion, and I understand the need for a game that has constant updates to have some sort of microtransaction system. That being said, if I see something I want, I like to be able to get it. I understand their thinking. Limited time items sell well. But whether it effects the gameplay or not, it alienates new players and disappoints old players who weren't able to play during the time of the event. The game looks really fun, I won't deny it's merits, and you may think some nonsense with cosmetics isn't a valid reason to swear off playing a game. But if I don't oppose a system that I think is unfair, then I endorse it. If they make these items available in the future without a time limit, I'll buy the game in a heartbeat.

Sorry to come into your thread and smack-talk your game, but believe me, I was this close to buying it.

Reactions: CactusPearGamer

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hey, I'm here to ruin your day.

I really wanted to play this game. I play a lot of TF2, but after a few poor decisions from them I thought I'd check out Overwatch. I had nosey into how the game works and long story short I found out about limited-time cosmetics. Now I don't care about missing the pre-order exclusives, those are an industry standard at this point. I also don't care about unique rewards for competitive players that change every season, the dedicated fans deserve a prize. And I can understand why convention-exclusive items would be limited edition too. The issue I have is the limited time Summer Games and Halloween items.

I've never really been one for 100% completion, and I understand the need for a game that has constant updates to have some sort of microtransaction system. That being said, if I see something I want, I like to be able to get it. I understand their thinking. Limited time items sell well. But whether it effects the gameplay or not, it alienates new players and disappoints old players who weren't able to play during the time of the event. The game looks really fun, I won't deny it's merits, and you may think some nonsense with cosmetics isn't a valid reason to swear off playing a game. But if I don't oppose a system that I think is unfair, then I endorse it. If they make these items available in the future without a time limit, I'll buy the game in a heartbeat.

Sorry to come into your thread and smack-talk your game, but believe me, I was this close to buying it.
You are not alone in these feelings. When the summer games came out, the only way one could get the stuff was via random chance. You could not specifically get those items, either with in game money, or actual money. After the event passed, I suspect there was much anger about that. When the Halloween event came along, they at least fixed the problem in part by making it so that one could buy the event exclusive items via in-game money (though many of the items were quite expensive). That said, not having access to the items really quite sucks. However, I would offer this counter argument:

If you get the game, there are a few of us here would would be more then happy to play with you. Yes, the skins and other items have passed, but the game itself is very fun, and well made. Even more so when you have friends to play it with.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
If they make these items available in the future without a time limit, I'll buy the game in a heartbeat.
They probably never will. It's kinda the main thing of a time limited offer. I'm also sad I missed them as some of them were really cool, but I dunno about something like that ruining a game. Though to each of his own I guess.

And just as OC said, you'd have scrubs to play with (with a high as heck ping ofc) if you get it, which worth more than puny skins and voicelines and thriller dance.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
If you get the game, there are a few of us here would would be more then happy to play with you. Yes, the skins and other items have passed, but the game itself is very fun, and well made. Even more so when you have friends to play it with.
They probably never will. It's kinda the main thing of a time limited offer. I'm also sad I missed them as some of them were really cool, but I dunno about something like that ruining a game. Though to each of his own I guess.

And just as OC said, you'd have scrubs to play with (with a high as heck ping ofc) if you get it, which worth more than puny skins and voicelines and thriller dance.
Stop trying to convince me. You might win.
It doesn't ruin the game for me, per say. But if a company is doing something that I disapprove of, there's only two powers that I have; Whining about it online (which I am) or refusing them my service. Even if it's a small problem, buying the game would be giving them a free pass. If Summer Games 2017 lets you get the items from 2016, give me a call, I'll be downloading the game that very night.

From what I can tell, the TFH devs are going to be pretty good about making cosmetic items available. They mentioned in a stream that any items that are for backers or tournament winners only won't be displayed as permanently locked items to everybody else. They won't be listed at all. Devs, if you're reading this, no limited time items. Ever. I ain't a hypocrite, you'll be getting an earful from me too.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Devs, if you're reading this, no limited time items. Ever. I ain't a hypocrite, you'll be getting an earful from me too.
How about Limited time items that after the period is over, "disappear" like those backer or tournament winners one. Those that have'em do, those who don't might not even notice or would not be reminded constantly that they missed an event

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Devs, if you're reading this, no limited time items. Ever. I ain't a hypocrite, you'll be getting an earful from me too.
We have the toot. Which I didn't manage to get because my friends looked at the game and were like "Pony game! Run!". So I'm sad.

But yes, they should just disappear from the large inventory screen to stop reminding people of what they've missed.

Also, I'm not exactly sure we're going to have olympics in 2017. Just a hunch.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
How about Limited time items that after the period is over, "disappear" like those backer or tournament winners one. Those that have'em do, those who don't might not even notice or would not be reminded constantly that they missed an event
From what I understand, backer or tournament items will still be visable to players who don't have them, they just won't be listed in the "You have X/Y items" screen. And as much as I probably wouldn't care about cosmetics that aren't listed, it would still be an inherently anti-consumer thing to do. The problem isn't that it's limited time, it's that it's limited time for no reason other than to make money. I understand wanting to make money, but not at the expense of the player.

We have the toot. Which I didn't manage to get because my friends looked at the game and were like "Pony game! Run!". So I'm sad.

But yes, they should just disappear from the large inventory screen to stop reminding people of what they've missed.

Also, I'm not exactly sure we're going to have olympics in 2017. Just a hunch.
I think the Overwatch team said something about having the Summer Games event be a yearly thing.
Anyway, the toots fall into my "limited but for a reason" catagory. Meet the requirement, get the reward. simple transaction. It was all for promoting the crowdfund as well, so making them limited makes sense because they needed incentive otherwise they risked not being able to fund the game. Again, it all comes down to why the time limit needed to be there. Crowdfunding can't go on forever, so obviously there will be a limit. Just doing it to make the items "more special" doesn't cut it for me. I'm sure there's people who disagree, this is just how I feel.

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Look, all I'm saying is, if you were to buy it, I'd love to play with ya. And not just me either. Neo's usually up for playing with anyone who wants, and Avering is good for it as well. Not to mention one or two others. Granted, this is via PC. But even if you go console, I know Rich Jammer plays on that platform, and a few others do too. That said, at the end of the day, it is your time and money, and I'd say do with it as seems wise.

Sutekh94

Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
Crowdfund Backer
Look, all I'm saying is, if you were to buy it, I'd love to play with ya. And not just me either. Neo's usually up for playing with anyone who wants, and Avering is good for it as well. Not to mention one or two others. Granted, this is via PC. But even if you go console, I know Rich Jammer plays on that platform, and a few others do too. That said, at the end of the day, it is your time and money, and I'd say do with it as seems wise.
I can't tell if Stunt was saying that facetiously or not...

And, for the record, I actually have more a problem with how Blizzard executed microtransactions in this game than any of the cosmetics being limited-time offers - a bit ironic because the two kinda go hand-in-hand, I think. Usually in a game like this where there's a ton of cosmetics available to the players, I'll only go after the ones I want and then stop. None of the Summer ones really appealed to me, though I will say that some of the Halloween ones did catch my eye. Unfortunately, the Halloween event ended before I could get a hold of any of the skins, and I didn't have enough in-game dosh to buy anything. In the end, though, cosmetics are something I tend to ignore and not really care about. I'm more in this game because it's fun, it's competently made, and Sombra is a cool cat.

While I'm here, I'm surprised nobody's brought this up yet:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Yeah, I remember the joy OC was radiating when the news broke.

Bad thing is, you will simply be unable to pick her for a while after her buff drops.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Bad thing is, you will simply be unable to pick her for a while after her buff drops.
Pretty much. Also: I kinda liked her old shield granting ability. Mostly because it meant that once I gave everyone their shields and threw down the sentries, I could just do whatever I wanted. Now I'll actually have to be part of the team and do stuff! But the fact that the cool down on her sentries dropped from 12 seconds to 10 seconds made me very excited. As far as her ults are concerned, I've had the ult killed by so many Tracers and Genjis that I no longer care about it. Like, throw it down, but I don't even bother guarding it because doing so is kinda useless.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
So as a console user I haven't had the chance to use Symmetra in the PTR, so I was wondering how exactly her second ult works? I only saw a brief description of it when the rework was announced but it sounded kinda like Lucio's ult? Or is it like her old shield ability but ult-ified? Regardless, I'm definitely interested in trying out the new Symmetra when we get her.

And speaking of the PTR, the new map Oasis is on there now. All I know about it is that there are cars that can run you over, so watch out!

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
So, when you built her ult, you toggle between her teleporter, and a shield generator, then place whichever you want. The former now has some shield health, so can heal if not killed, and the latter gives 75 shield health to all allies in a rather large area as long as the generator stays alive.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Oh okay, I see now. That's pretty interesting, I can see some cool strategies coming out of that ult. I don't play much Symmetra but this whole rework thing has me interested in trying her out more.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
The Symmetra buff went live along with the Winter Event the other day. I was surprised, the new Mei brawl is actually really fun and super tense. I'll play more of it once exams are over, but my God, that new Zenyatta skin is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen. My buddies and I were playing and my friend who mains Zenyatta got it in like his second box and all he could do was quietly whisper into into the mic, "I got it, I got the skin." Now he's just gotta get enough points for the golden weapon...

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Just started and on my sixth loot box I got the Zaria taunt.(yes now all I need is the nutcracker and pharah skin, and I will be happy)

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Lucky bum. I only got the Lucio and Tracer skins, both of whics I don't like. Inthe latter case, I dislike even the character.

Also, I just read that a lot of fans are mad because Mei's skin looks like a recolor and think she won't get any legendary anytime soon. To this it was answered that she will. Sooo, Chinese new years skin hype anyone?

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
I heard about that, and I'd be pumped for a set of Chinese New Years skins. Even if it's just for Mei that'd be pretty cool too.

But for right now I'm still trying for that Nutcracker skin, I really want that after a fantastic match of No Limits with 4 Zenyattas, a Mercy, and a Symmetra.