TFHs D&D (5e) Campaign

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
So, after much though, I'm going to be swinging the bat on this.

Edit: this post has been modified from its original version, and may be subject to further alterations as the need to update it arises.

It was mentioned before the idea of playing a TFHs table top game, and I've finally decided that I would host one for those who are interested. Here are the details:

- I will be using D&D 5e (with some adaptions (such as adapting dwarf into Alpake, with a few unique abilities to go with)) because Wizards of the Coast has the basic version of their game, on their websight, for free. In addition to that, anything that has officially been published by WotC is allowed. And yes, I know that the racial adaptions will not be perfect, and that having the various races use their own unique rules would be ideal, but I want to keep things a streamlined as possible so that we can hop right into the game without having to playtest 6 or 7 new races over and over.

- No more then 5 players. Larger groups then that are very difficult to manage, and often trip on each other's toes hooves and play gets cumbersome. That said, if more people want to play then 5, then we'll figure out a way to fairly pick who wants to play.

- We will be using Discord (link for server) for our platform. Discord is easy to set up for that kind of thing, and I have set up a bot for dice rolling for those who don't want to use/can't use physical dice. Discord can also be run via browser for those of you who don't want to install another program on your computers/whatever you use.

-In addition, we'll be using Roll d20 for the purposes of combat encounters as well. If you are not familiar with what that web-sight is or how to use it, that's perfectly fine.

-If you have never played tabletop before, that's perfectly okay. Part of the idea for running these games is to give people a chance to play a proper tabletop game. And I plan on approaching each group and player according to how experianced they are. Meaning, old vets will be treated as though they know what they are doing, and new players will be shown the ropes without being treated as though you're a neewb.

- THIS IS NOT AN RP THREAD, NOR WILL IT EVER BE. THIS THREAD IS PURELY FOR DISCUSSING THIS GAME AND THE LOGISTICS THEREOF.

- Real dice are totally okay, since I figure that most of us here will be honest with our good rolls and our bad.

- The default language will be spoken English, but if you want to play, and are nervous about speaking English, feel free to play with us anyway. I won't laugh, though I may have to ask you to repeat yourself a few times. ;) On a more serious note: Don't let your nervousness about your ability to speak English hold you back. We all had to learn at some point, and goodness knows it wasn't easy. And if someone should laugh at your attempt to speak English, as DM, I will take action against that.

- The game will begin in one month (give or take a few days as needed). We will play either once a week, or every other week, according to necessity.

- Ideally, we'll be playing on Friday for about 3 hours or so (longer or shorter as needed).

- The time of day is most likely going to be sometime in the evening (using the work stream's timezone as a reference, which is Pacific Standard Time, or PST), but that can be adjusted according to need, as many of you live in radically different time zones.

- Game sessions will be on Saturdays from Noon until about 3 (1500) PST.

- I want to keep things as close to PG or PG-13 (14A if you're Canadian; G or 13+ if you're from Quebec; PG or M if you're from Australia; 12 or 16 if you're from France; FSK 12 or FSK 16 if you're from Germany; B or B-15 if you're from Mexico; 12 or 16 if you're from The Netherlands; RP13 or RP16 if you're from New Zealand; 12A or 15 if you're from the UK; etc...) as possible. I for one dislike strong language, but more so then that, I feel it important to keep the game family-friendly allowing it to be a safe game to play for all players. That's not to say there will not be dark themes, or moments of intensity. It just means that I will never plan lewd moments, or use strong language in the game.

- I do not know how long this story will last at this time. But I do know that will be longer then just a few sessions. It will likely span at least a few levels, but I do not plan for it to be a multi-year story-line that will span from lvl1 to lvl 20.

- This game will span four separate campaigns, with each covering a specific level range. 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, and 16-20. And though they will be separate, the story of each will be connected. That said, if you join one of the later sections, and know nothing of the story thus far, that is perfectly alright, as each story will be seperate from the others, but contribute to the story as a whole. And, in the last, final epic battle, all previous players who wish to, may join the conflict to bring it all to a close.

- Each campaign will run, ideally, for about 4-5 months, with 6 being the absolute longest it'll run.

And that's about all of the details I can think of off the top of my head. If you're interested in joining, let me know so I can begin planning. Also: even if you don't want to play, you're certainly free to join us and listen in during the sessions. If you do, I must ask that you remain (vocally at least) silent while the session is officially happening so that we can remain focused. Before and after (or during breaks) feel free to chat it up.

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
As a note: For those who may be wondering if the forum factions will be part of this story, that will actually be up to you good people. At the moment of making this post, I only have broad strokes as to what the plot will be, and thus there is room to either omit, or admit, the forum factions.

Last edited:

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
That sounds like a fantastic idea and I'd be interested in joining but this seems far better suited for the RPing forumites. You guys have established your own ideas regarding how the world works and I don't want to end up stepping on anyone's toes if I mess something up. If you're making everything up from scratch, I might reconsider.

Truth be told, I've only ever played one D&D campaign several months ago with a couple of friends so I'm a total scrub at the game. I'm not sure I'd be the best choice if everyone else playing is a veteran. At best, I have my own dice set to play with and I have a bit of experience already. At worst, I'm not 100% on the rules and I might slow the game down with my naiveté.

But whatever, do what you think is best for the campaign. Looking forward to it either way!

EDIT: Wrote this all before your second post. :p

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
That sounds like a fantastic idea and I'd be interested in joining but this seems far better suited for the RPing forumites. You guys have established your own ideas regarding how the world works and I don't want to end up stepping on anyone's toes if I mess something up. If you're making everything up from scratch, I might reconsider.

Truth be told, I've only ever played one D&D campaign several months ago with a couple of friends so I'm a total scrub at the game. I'm not sure I'd be the best choice if everyone else playing is a veteran. At best, I have my own dice set to play with and I have a bit of experience already. At worst, I'm not 100% on the rules and I might slow the game down with my nativity.

But whatever, do what you think is best for the campaign. Looking forward to it either way!

EDIT: Wrote this all before your second post. :p
Well, to answer your question anyway: I am inclined to do either. That is, I'm just as okay with doing a new story devoid of anything from the forums, as I would be doing a story based in the forum universe. As for being a new player, don't worry about it. This could very well be a fine time to learn. I figure waiting about a week before figuring out who the players are going to be is a decent enough time frame to work with. And even then, there's a full month to get aqainted with the rules before we begin :Paprika:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I personally don't want forum factions to be a thing in here, as it limits certain character interactions. And I'd also like to mention that Discord works on Android and iOS.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Klint

Fabulous, Darling
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I have been waiting for this for a looooooooong time.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I will TRY to make it, but work may interfere, depending on when it happens. Since I'm assuming the game will be played mainly on computers, I'll just listen. Either way, I'll see if I can make it and if I can, I'll likely hang around.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I will TRY to make it, but work may interfere, depending on when it happens. Since I'm assuming the game will be played mainly on computers, I'll just listen. Either way, I'll see if I can make it and if I can, I'll likely hang around.
As mentioned before, Discord works perfectly fine on phones/tablets, including its voice chat.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
As mentioned before, Discord works perfectly fine on phones/tablets, including its voice chat.
I know it does, but what I didn't make clear was that I'd like to JOIN but I don't think it would work well with me since I have no computer.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
For those who are interested thus far, what time/day of the week is best for you? I cannot do Sunday (12:00am to 11:59pm MST, Or Mountain Standard Time), but I should be able to schedule otherwise (barring unexpected developments).

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
Quite honestly, I think 5e lends itself well to homebrewing. That said, I would not recommend simply picking things out of the Players Handbook, slapping a new label on it, and trying to get everything to fit together. Rather, I recommend using the 5e Player's Manual as a framework and coming up with unique and interesting mechanics to use in the game that relates to TFH. For example, there's no weapons in TFH, so you'll need to find another way to make damage-scaling something players can work towards. (the easiest solution may be to simply give all physical-based classes a variation of Monk's "Martial Arts") And while on the topic of classes, it's worth bringing up the question of whether you want streamline Classes and Races into the same thing, considering TFH lore has each individual race with their own set of skills. (ie. only Sheep have Sheepdogs protecting them, only Longma can fly and breathe fire, and only Reindeer can cast ice magic) That's not to say it needs to be a rigid rule, you can have some flexibility with certain players. For example, perhaps a Longma is playing as a Cattle class because they haven't earned their wings, and are determined that going on an adventure is the only way to get them. However, it does help to have some structure so your players don't wind up too confused on what rules to follow in the handbook and which not to.
Keep in mind, this is just my two cents. Feel free to ignore me if you think you can work around the issues I've proposed. After all, I likely won't be able to join in for a while. (kinda in-between moves at the moment, and am actually going to be unable to access the internet for all of next week) That said, if you are interested in structuring a dedicated TFH system built on the 5e framework, I would be more than willing to assist. I wouldn't say I'm the MOST qualified person in the world, I've only really been playing once a week for a year or so with a couple of my friends. But I'd like to think I have a pretty good understanding of the system at this point, and have a few ideas that could make it really unique. (like a way to implement a special meter and a magic system based on the game itself) Your call though. ;)

Oh, and to answer your most recent question, Saturday will likely be fine for me in the near future. (hopefully, anyways)

And all the above aside, I highly recommend Roll20. It's a great way to host RPG systems online. ;)

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays are my best bets. It sounds like the consensus so far is Saturday though, so if I'm going by that, It'd have to be somewhere at noonish for me to even join.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Quite honestly, I think 5e lends itself well to homebrewing. That said, I would not recommend simply picking things out of the Players Handbook, slapping a new label on it, and trying to get everything to fit together. Rather, I recommend using the 5e Player's Manual as a framework and coming up with unique and interesting mechanics to use in the game that relates to TFH. For example, there's no weapons in TFH, so you'll need to find another way to make damage-scaling something players can work towards. (the easiest solution may be to simply give all physical-based classes a variation of Monk's "Martial Arts") And while on the topic of classes, it's worth bringing up the question of whether you want streamline Classes and Races into the same thing, considering TFH lore has each individual race with their own set of skills. (ie. only Sheep have Sheepdogs protecting them, only Longma can fly and breathe fire, and only Reindeer can cast ice magic) That's not to say it needs to be a rigid rule, you can have some flexibility with certain players. For example, perhaps a Longma is playing as a Cattle class because they haven't earned their wings, and are determined that going on an adventure is the only way to get them. However, it does help to have some structure so your players don't wind up too confused on what rules to follow in the handbook and which not to.
Keep in mind, this is just my two cents. Feel free to ignore me if you think you can work around the issues I've proposed. After all, I likely won't be able to join in for a while. (kinda in-between moves at the moment, and am actually going to be unable to access the internet for all of next week) That said, if you are interested in structuring a dedicated TFH system built on the 5e framework, I would be more than willing to assist. I wouldn't say I'm the MOST qualified person in the world, I've only really been playing once a week for a year or so with a couple of my friends. But I'd like to think I have a pretty good understanding of the system at this point, and have a few ideas that could make it really unique. (like a way to implement a special meter and a magic system based on the game itself) Your call though. ;)

Oh, and to answer your most recent question, Saturday will likely be fine for me in the near future. (hopefully, anyways)

And all the above aside, I highly recommend Roll20. It's a great way to host RPG systems online. ;)
I agree with you on all accounts, and even that there would be much better systems then D&D. However, the reason I'm using D&D is because the materials are free, and it's a name and system that everyone either knows, or recognizes. I'm also keeping homebrewing to a minimum to keep things as simple and streamlined as possible. Once this story has run its course, then perhaps I'll look into either heavy homebrewing/other systems. But for now, I want to keep things as easy and clean as possible.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
So, it's been close to a week since this thread was first put up. While the group hasn't been formed yet, my goal is to have a group more or less formed by the end if this week. If you'd be interested in playing, either feel free to swing by the discord server and say hi, or drop a line here. At the moment we have more interested players then slots, but don't let that dissuade you from popping in. If such is the case come the end of the week (that is, more players then slots), we'll devise a fair way to figure out who's in. That said, if any one wants to run their own campaign, feel free to use the sever and make your own channel for it. I never meant for the server to be just for one group.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Pardon the double post, but I just wanted to let those who are interested know that today is the day we form up the group. So if you were waffling about whether or not to try and join the game, now is the time to find out! And even if you don't get in this time, I do plan on running more games in the future, with either some players who are going to be in this group as well as with some new faces, or with a completely new cast. Either way, the invite still stands to swing by and spy on us as we play.

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
Rats! I was off at an in-law's birthday party all afternoon and totally missed this! I'll just have to make the next one when it happens.

How was it? Did it all work out according to plan or were there hitches in the system that still need tweaking?

What was the campaign about or is it gonna be a mystery until it's done?

Ethaes

Vesper Iris
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
ethaes.deviantart.com
Don't know how I missed this thread until now. I haven't played D&D in years, but I'd definitely be interested in future sessions, so put me on the maybe list for later.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Rats! I was off at an in-law's birthday party all afternoon and totally missed this! I'll just have to make the next one when it happens.

How was it? Did it all work out according to plan or were there hitches in the system that still need tweaking?

What was the campaign about or is it gonna be a mystery until it's done?
No campaign yet, just deciding on time and players. You have time until monday to roll.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
No campaign yet, just deciding on time and players. You have time until monday to roll.
No worries mate! Just hit me up on Discord, you might still be able to get in. The list of who's playing hasn't been finalized just yet, so hit me up and we'll see if you're in or not.

Don't know how I missed this thread until now. I haven't played D&D in years, but I'd definitely be interested in future sessions, so put me on the maybe list for later.
Sweet. In the meantime, feel free to drop on by. Or even listen in on the sessions if you want. We'll be beginning in early Jan, but the exact date and time will be posted on either Monday or Tuesday when the list of who's in the group comes out.

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
No worries mate! Just hit me up on Discord, you might still be able to get in. The list of who's playing hasn't been finalized just yet, so hit me up and we'll see if you're in or not.
Sweet! I'll stay on Discord then and wait until you're online. From there, you guys can explain to me how the decision making process works.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hey everyone! The cast has been decided! Our brave heroes will be (In no special order):

- MightyAlicornHunter

- VAaMPP

- KYMSnowman

- Stridershy

and

- 0Zero100

I actually lied. We had more players then slots, and it came down to a roll-off, and this order is in order of highest roll to lowest roll. That said, we have a party! For those who were interested in playing but either didn't know until later, or didn't get into this campaign, know that I do plan on running future campaigns as well. That said, we offically begin January 4th (a Sat) at Noon (work stream time).

See you fellows in Foenum!

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Update! So, for those of you who are curious, we'll be using this thread to post various things about our characters, and we'll even post the highlights of our sessions here! That said, I am proud to give you our cast for this season:

Boxic-Party.png

We have Xianghua, the Longma Monk
Corvine Winterblood, the Reindeer Fighter
IO Lonfy, the Alpake Reporter? (He's Cleric on paper)
Ophelia of the Woodland, Unicorn Rouge
And last but not least: Benson Baaah, Sheep Wizard!

Art credit goes to KYMSnowman.

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
I love the designs! Personally, I've never gotten into D&D or Pathfinder (Although I've been meaning to, I just don't really know where to start.) but I'll be watching this thread to hear the tales of everyone's exploits.

Also, I am disappointed at the lack of cattle.
Honestly, me too. But then again, I didn't expect for us to be all different races (especially the canon ones). That's kinda the only reason why we can even notice that there's no cattle.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

AuruM

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
Loving the colourful cast of characters too, great work on the art KYMSnowman!

If I'm online at the time (that'd be from 7:00-10:00 am where I am) I may come and spectate, but if not, I look forward to reading the highlights here :D

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I'm looking forward to playing as Xianghua. Probably one of the best tabletop characters I've come up with in awhile.

And she's got a lot to contend against. I've made some pretty fun characters.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
IO shall be the best of the nest because he is the best of the best!

No, but really, I'm looking forward to my first ever DnD campaign!

An added bonus would be the IOphelia shipping. Ship!

Reactions: KYMSnowman

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester
IO shall be the best of the nest because he is the best of the best!

No, but really, I'm looking forward to my first ever DnD campaign!

An added bonus would be the IOphelia shipping. Ship!

Last edited: