Would I really get something for winning a tournament on a DDR pad?

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
It was a joke from way back that persisted a little bit, there was this post
DDR pad win.png

during one of the live streams.

If this is true, would the lobby item be exclusive to DDR pad winners?
Also what might it be? or would that ruin the surprise? that is, assuming it is even possible to win a tournament with a DDR pad...
And lastly, what if somebody won second or third with a DDR pad, I think that merits something.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
It was a joke from way back that persisted a little bit, there was this post
View attachment 1080
during one of the live streams.

If this is true, would the lobby item be exclusive to DDR pad winners?
Also what might it be? or would that ruin the surprise? that is, assuming it is even possible to win a tournament with a DDR pad...
And lastly, what if somebody won second or third with a DDR pad, I think that merits something.
Anu mentioned it elsewhere in the forums as well, so just look it up. Obviously it would need to be an actual bona fide tournament, but I see no reason why they would go back on a promise like this.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
This has been a challenge for years that just grew and became more fleshed out as we went along. It does need to be an actual tournament, not just a local thing with just you and some friends, and if we find out everyone was in on it and call collusion, then the win is not legitimate and you will not have completed the challenge.

If you think you can beat the best of the best while on DDR pad, go ahead and put yourself to the test!

It sure doesn't!

Last edited:

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
You'd get something even if I have to pixel art it m'self, but it needs to be a legit tournament win to qualify.
Darn, since I haven't even entered in a tournament for any game before I severely doubt I could do it...
but still.
the challenge beckons.
If I can beat the game on its hardest difficulty with the DDR pad then I will try. It is settled.
I must get that item!

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

$Bison

Apr 11, 2016
...What if a tournament required everyone to use a DDR pad, and then Cinnamaldehyde got first place?

What makes a tournament "legit" and proper? The size of player attendance, sponsors, or the factor that a bunch of strangers came together to compete in a game?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
...What if a tournament required everyone to use a DDR pad, and then Cinnamaldehyde got first place?
That's going to be something that the answer to your next question will include the answer to.

What makes a tournament "legit" and proper? The size of player attendance, sponsors, or the factor that a bunch of strangers came together to compete in a game?
We at Mane6 reserve the right to decide if a tournament is deemed "Legit" simply because of the possibility of the first option. If any "Legit" tournament has a pot bonus that people want to win, there are people who will use whatever means of control is familiar to them since it gives them their best results. Not sure how Anu feels about it, but for myself any tournament that forces their controller selection on a player would not be seen as "Legit". The FGC is vast in its usage of controller types, and if there is ever a point where a tournament is forcing types of controllers in its players, that tournament wouldn't be around very long.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Using USB dance pads should theoretically work. If it doesn't work natively, joy2key should make it work, but that'd probably be harder to get done during a tournament.

Honestly, nobody has really tried it with TFH internally yet.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Using USB dance pads should theoretically work. If it doesn't work natively, joy2key should make it work, but that'd probably be harder to get done during a tournament.

Honestly, nobody has really tried it with TFH internally yet.
If you need a guy to test that, you know who to call...
It says it in my tag, I have a professional arcade style mat. I've had it for eight or so years (but I only just recently bought a fight stick...)

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
You should also have to use Velvet, considering she has several dance-based attacks.
I would probably be playing Velvet anyways, I like the characters with multiple types of ranged attacks.
But I think the controller style is more befitting of Paprika. Now I want a comic about Pap beating Oleander at Them's Fightin' Herds with a DDR pad and Oleander has a professional stick "How is that possible!?"

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I would probably be playing Velvet anyways, I like the characters with multiple types of ranged attacks.
But I think the controller style is more befitting of Paprika. Now I want a comic about Pap beating Oleander at Them's Fightin' Herds with a DDR pad and Oleander has a professional stick "How is that possible!?"
I can see Rich making that comic, maybe you could ask him?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Noted, but it still had to do with DDR pads and using them as controllers.
"We should have a comic made" is not related to the challenge we have issued in the slightest.

Threads that have outlived their usefulness can and will be locked. If you wish it to be locked since your question was answered, we can do that. Otherwise, it will be up to moderator discretion.

Last edited:

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I can see Rich making that comic, maybe you could ask him?
I actually had an idea for a comic that involved arcade stocks and DDR pads.

Anyway, I also had an idea to modify a DDR pad where you use your feet for the d pad and you punch the one for the face buttons. It would kinda simulate a fight.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
It might be easier to just hook up two pads with one of them in front of you.

And on a topic-related note: Will you guys have larger than quarter curcle inputs (Half curcle for example)? Those could make using the pad even harder.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
What game should I use as practice for the control type before the Beta comes out?
I would usually just play Skullgirls, but I only have eight buttons, and four of them have to be directional.
Maybe, BlazBlue?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
What game should I use as practice for the control type before the Beta comes out?
I would usually just play Skullgirls, but I only have eight buttons, and four of them have to be directional.
Maybe, BlazBlue?
Problem with Blazblue is those nuts spinny inputs. SG would be great, but yeah, button count.