Instant Kills!

LittlestPupShop

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With egregious amounts of j-pop!

Imagine a world where Oleander has a Relius-Clover style instant-kill.

StopShot

But can you poni-poni-poni?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
An Alternate Timeline
Instant kills kind of sound pretty powerful unless they had a massive drawback and even then I still don't think they're fair... :\

LittlestPupShop

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Instant kills kind of sound pretty powerful unless they had a massive drawback and even then I still don't think they're fair... :\
It's a bit of a BlazBlue\GuiltyGear\ASW joke. They are completely impractical to use and serve no purpose other than BEING SUPER FLASHY AND FUN TO WATCH!

Reactions: StopShot

StopShot

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
An Alternate Timeline
It's a bit of a BlazBlue\GuiltyGear\ASW joke. They are completely impractical to use and serve no purpose other than BEING SUPER FLASHY AND FUN TO WATCH!
Oh, I see. I was going to suggest something around those lines. By impractical are they just too hard to pull off or is it something else about them?

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I'ma assume it'd be similar to that one easter egg move Squigly has (although not instant kill, it does like 3/4 the opponent's health so it may as well be)
Instant kills are super cool and flashy, but will require pretty much maxing out every meter and charge, and essentially you're already guaranteed the win by then anyways in terms of balancing it's existence. While you'd probably never see it most of the time, it's overkill hype when it does!

Bass Drop

That Sarcastic Pony
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Delaware, United States
I'ma assume it'd be similar to that one easter egg move Squigly has (although not instant kill, it does like 3/4 the opponent's health so it may as well be)
Instant kills are super cool and flashy, but will require pretty much maxing out every meter and charge, and essentially you're already guaranteed the win by then anyways in terms of balancing it's existence. While you'd probably never see it most of the time, it's overkill hype when it does!
Why not? Lets overkill the hype!

LittlestPupShop

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh, I see. I was going to suggest something around those lines. By impractical are they just too hard to pull off or is it something else about them?
In the case of Blazblue, you can only activate them on your winning round if your opponent is at 33% health or less AND you have a full super bar. Thing is, while you can combo into them, under those circumstances, you're gonna win anyway because having a full super meter bar just means you'll win anyway. If you throw the instant kill out without a combo into it, it's so damn obvious to see coming that they can be easily blocked. Guilty Gear has less restrictions, but they're even more telegraphed and slower to activate unless the conditions are up to make it go faster, which are kinda the same as BlazBlue.

So to make a long answer short, yes, it's mostly an easter egg. They're over the top ridiculous and change the background music (to jpop) for maximum hype.

On occasions the creators go the extra creative mile and make them unique based on the character its used on. Amane from Blazblue would instant kill his opponents by making them younger, which was ripe with even more easter eggs (and possibly plot spoilers!). It's pretty rad!

Reactions: StopShot

StopShot

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
An Alternate Timeline
In the case of Blazblue, you can only activate them on your winning round if your opponent is at 33% health or less AND you have a full super bar. Thing is, while you can combo into them, under those circumstances, you're gonna win anyway because having a full super meter bar just means you'll win anyway. If you throw the instant kill out without a combo into it, it's so damn obvious to see coming that they can be easily blocked. Guilty Gear has less restrictions, but they're even more telegraphed and slower to activate unless the conditions are up to make it go faster, which are kinda the same as BlazBlue.

So to make a long answer short, yes, it's mostly an easter egg. They're over the top ridiculous and change the background music (to jpop) for maximum hype.

On occasions the creators go the extra creative mile and make them unique based on the character its used on. Amane from Blazblue would instant kill his opponents by making them younger, which was ripe with even more easter eggs (and possibly plot spoilers!). It's pretty rad!
Ooh, do you have a link to a video of Amane's instant kill? That sounds like it would be really cute! : D

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Oh those instant kills. Yeah, I kinda became intimately familiar with Hazama's from the story mode in Continuum Shift. But hey I wouldn't mind seeing them here, could be cool.

gatorafan

HOLAS: (tm)
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ship02: Ur
nightarks.enjin.com
I'd expect Oleander to have something more like a Dragon Install esque move for a level 3.

And of course, It'd have J-Pop

Nico link (since I can't find a Youtube upload with decent quality). Part starts at 14:00 but since this is Nico I don't think you can jump directly to that point . -.

nstant kills kind of sound pretty powerful unless they had a massive drawback and even then I still don't think they're fair... :\
You should see how Guilty Gear pulls it out, the prerequisites to make the move are a bit on the insane side, if you fail them you lose the bar for the rest of the round and they are very easy to miss since they must be done at throw range (and are very unsafe) but they look really really cool when done (and it's a bit of a disrespect thing towards your opponent, which in fighting games is more like adding a little spice to the match rather than something genuinely mean spirited)

And since I'm just realizing not everyone here might now about GG, this is what I mean by Dragon Install.

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Well, Guilty Gear's Instant Kills can be combo'd into much like the BlazBlue one where you'd probably would have won anyway. In Xrd the wind up for entering the Instant Kill mode acts close enough to a roman cancel to allow for the combo. But like it has been said, you'd have won anyway (unless they have Burst, in which case they COULD burst out of the combo and make a hype comeback).

SmashUniverse64

Befish did this to me.
Crowdfund Backer
When I saw this thread, my first thought was Persona 4 Arena's instant-kill moves. Which you could only perform in the last round at full SP, but were fun anyway.
There is a reason for that. P4A was made by the same devs as BlazBlue and Guilty Gear, so the mechanic made a return in P4 Arena and P4 Arena Ultimax. And yes, I agree they were really fun.

LittlestPupShop

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Alternatively to instant kills, what about finishers in spirit of mortal kombat by insertimg codes post fight or landing the final hit under certain conditions?
You are now imagining Pom ripping her opponent in half and feeding the entrails to her puppies.
She figured out the puppy's true diet.

Reactions: Colynato

LittlestPupShop

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With Oleander saying: "Let me see the value of your soul" *closes doors*
Arizona is hog tied over a BBQ spit.

Pom has been shaved and her dogs imprisoned in a tiny dog house. Pom is leashed to the dog house.

Tien-hau tied up by an inflatable tube and floating in a little kittie pool.

Velvet is just sobbing on a giant couch with her floofy mane shaved off, not the singlest bit effort made to contain Velvet who wont budge.

Paprika is encased in cement (and still managed to keep vibrating) while surrounded by various mgaical charms and warning signs.

Oleander mirror is surrounded by a magical barrier and glares at the Oleander that used the instant kill with medusa-face.
Alternatively, Oleander mirror is comically searching for Fred in a pile of identicle books.

Goat is just seen standing in frotn of a mirror, mirror shows a reflection os some giant goat demon monster (basically a shout-out to Relius using his instant-kill on Terumi).

MistahM

Ow the Edge
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Yohk
What would the other character's have, then?

I would guess Paprika's would be some kind of fluff-based thing.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
that one easter egg move Squigly has (although not instant kill, it does like 3/4 the opponent's health so it may as well be)
50%, actually. That's in a 1v1 game, anyhow. It does take 73% health in a 1v3, but anything from a solo hits like a truck vs a trio, plus it's still taking 3/4 health of just one character out of the opponent's three. Also since it's a command grab it only deals red health, meaning that if the character survives and manages to tag out, it can theoretically regenerate all that lost health back. Point being, it's not all that close to a match-ending instant kill.

On topic, I find instant kills in fighting games largely pointless. There's just no good way to implement them. If they can be comboed into, they become broken. If they're impractical to use, they're never used in matches = why have them in the first place; if it's for the flashiness, better invest the time and resources needed to create them into making better looking supers, since that is something that will be regularly seen during matches. Especially important for an indie dev with a limited budget like Mane6, for whom having flashy finishers would have to come at the cost of not something else with more gameplay value.

I'm similarly against fatality-like finishers. Sure, they look cool* - once, maybe twice. After that when a player does it, they functionally become little more than "let's watch an animation we both already know by heart and make the wait before we actually get to play again longer".

*Or I guess can look cool in theory? I can think of only one fatality I've seen in the last several years that legit impressed me.

Reactions: Colynato

♥ Vanilla Cream Killy ♥

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
Alternatively to instant kills, what about finishers in spirit of mortal kombat by insertimg codes post fight or landing the final hit under certain conditions?
Landing the final hit under certain conditions for a unique finisher sounds like the Brutalities in Mortal Kombat X or some of the ways you can slice up opponents in Darkstalkers. Honestly I would totally dig a family-friendly variant of that where certain attacks (maybe like EX version of special moves or super attacks) can finish the opponent in a cartoonish way (think the death animations in Crash Bandicoot).

Sir Wombat

Likes Background Orange
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I love finishing moves in fighting games, so I would definitely support this! My biggest weakness in fighters is that I refuse to just use a regular punch to end a match, I always try to save some meter for a flashy finish and die before I can pull it off.

I think the best way to implement them is to make super moves have a different animation when they're used to land the finishing blow. Arizona would launch you into the sky, and Velvet would freeze you into an ice statue.

Reactions: Trybien

Nameless_One

Altruistic Seeker Goat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What would the other character's have, then?

I would guess Paprika's would be some kind of fluff-based thing.
Seeing how friendly and hug happy she is, it would probably be a back breaking hug. Kinda like what she was doing in her lore entry.

CammerHammer

I'll be the Wombo to your Combo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Clarion, PA
I love finishing moves in fighting games, so I would definitely support this! My biggest weakness in fighters is that I refuse to just use a regular punch to end a match, I always try to save some meter for a flashy finish and die before I can pull it off.

I think the best way to implement them is to make super moves have a different animation when they're used to land the finishing blow. Arizona would launch you into the sky, and Velvet would freeze you into an ice statue.
I can definitely see myself doing this, since I enjoy doing special things in every other genre of game I play, like drifting across the finish line in a racing game. I really love a well-animated finishing move, and I would love to save up for that level 3 super to completely annihilate the opponent, no matter how much more sense it would make to just use a level 1 three times...

18/NINE-TEEN

♫ ♪ Just Get On With It & Kill Me ♩ ♬
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I could see Paprika ultimate super/ Instant kill being similar Gulity Gear XX AC+ May's Instant Kill & Guy Sensei Jutsu in Naruto Clash Of Ninja Revolution 2.

.May's Instant Kill (14:42-15:03)

Guy Sensei Jutsu (3:01-3:09)

The attack would be that Paprkia disappears from the screen, then a bunch of animals including Alpacas (Adobo) & predators come across the screen try to escape from Paprkia bone crushing embraces, they end up stampeding over Paprkia opponent and to add insult to injury Paprkia either stamepeds over you, chasing the other animals, she give you her hug of death (Her bone crushing embraces), she puts on the opponent an "I heart Paprika” sweater then kill you with her love.

Paprkia bone crushing embraces could be different for each playble character in TFH (including Fred as a book &/or as a playable character).

Original post.
Neat Ideas

#9818/NINE-TEEN, Monday at 1:21 PM
Last edited: Monday at 4:21 PM