Fight sticks

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
I don't have one, and I've been thinking about getting one for ages.

I can't really give any references, but for what it's worth
Qanba Q4 RAF
This one seems good from what I've googled.

$149.99 + Shipping and Handling.
So likely around $250. :confused:

I'm just too much of a poorfag to blow cash on essentially just Skullgirls. :( Well, TFH will be coming out soon. And I do have Injustice, which I never play. I think I have Street Fighter 4 something-edition on PC, but I might've refunded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Arcade Shock and Focus Attack is what I use for my parts and their customer service is great!. I've also used Paradise Arcade Shop but I'm not a fan of their prices or how often they stock things. they have aluminum actuators listed on their site but they've been out of stock for awhile now. I've tried messaging them about it on twitter but they haven't responded compared to focus attack who will respond to your questions as soon as is possible for them.
I ended up buying from Paradise Arcade Shop cause both Arcade Shock and Focus Attack were restrictive on payment method and delivery address.

Anyone have an idea how long Paradise Arcade Shop ships?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I ended up buying from Paradise Arcade Shop cause both Arcade Shock and Focus Attack were restrictive on payment method and delivery address.

Anyone have an idea how long Paradise Arcade Shop ships?
From the "about us" page: "we offer 2-3 day delivery at some of the best rates". Not sure how that applies outside of the US though.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I had it shipped to my US PO Box in the state of New York. I picked the USPS and not the FedEx one. So far it hasn't given me an ETA on delivery.
That, I cannot help you with. Maybe a week? Not sure about standard postage speed in the USA. Probably the plane would drop it down in New York, a day or two administrating, then loaded on cars.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
I wanted to use official art but I got impatient.
So now I hope I don't look like a conceited jackass lugging this around.

View attachment 940
Well you are kind of late. I have been sporting an TFH inspired stick for almost half a year now :D. But kudos on your stick, looks amazing.
All that is left is practice and fundimentals of Fighting games

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just recently got a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT and also the 30mm buttons. I haven't tried it out yet. But I'd like to know, what are the differences between Sanwa and Seimitsu joystick and buttons?
Seimitsu Joysticks: shorter shaft, stiffer spring, comes stock with an interchangeable gate that lets you switch between square, octagonal, circular, etc. and levered microswitches

Sanwa Joysticks: Longer shaft, loose spring, comes stock with a square gate, and uses non-levered microswitches.

Seimitsu Buttons are flat and give a bit more resistance when pressed compared to Sanwa buttons which are convex and have less resistance when pressed.

What it really boils down to is how much you're willing to spend. Most of this is subjective in my opinion because of mods. You can just buy a longer shaft, a stiffer spring, a different gate, etc. so long as you make sure it will in your joystick and your fightstick before buying.

What stick you use really depends on your play style/preferences. I prefer Seimitsu Joysticks and Sanwa Buttons. I'm currently using a Seimitsu LS-40

Last edited:

Klisk

Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
New Jersey
Seimitsu Joysticks: shorter shaft, stiffer spring, comes stock with an interchangeable gate that lets you switch between square, octagonal, circular, etc. and levered microswitches

Sanwa Joysticks: Longer shaft, loose spring, comes stock with a square gate, and uses non-levered microswitches.

Seimitsu Buttons are flat and give a bit more resistance when pressed compared to Sanwa buttons which are convex and have less resistance when pressed.

What it really boils down to is how much you're willing to spend. Most of this is subjective in my opinion because of mods. You can just buy a longer shaft, a stiffer spring, a different gate, etc. so long as you make sure it will in your joystick and your fightstick before buying.

What stick you use really depends on your play style/preferences. I prefer Seimitsu Joysticks and Sanwa Buttons. I'm currently using a Seimitsu LS-40
Whew, I forgot about this thread.

I've become the opposite, honestly. Nowadays I'm pretty much always using the Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring + Seimitsu buttons. I really dislike how sensitive Sanwa buttons are, likely because I'm heavy handed. So I've always gravitated towards Seimitsu.

I used to swear by the Seimitsu LS-58, but after breaking 3 of 'em, I defaulted to the JLF and dropped in the 2lb spring to make it feel better. I'm pretty happy with it, but using a stock JLF with the 0.9 spring still feels wrong to me.

I would probably use all Happ parts if they were easier to fit into enclosures. Well, maybe not. I've gotten too used to square gates in the past 10 years to go back to circular bat tops.

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester

Galaxy already answered this for me a while back but I'm glad for the answer especially for any future people coming in here.

Anyway I've gotten too used to the Sanwa's sensitive buttons that I've even changed my placing of my fingers. As opposed to my older stick using knock off versions of the Sanwa buttons which were too stiff. So it may be hard for me to go with anything else. But I'm still new and probably can't tell much of a difference. On the other hand, I've already gotten tons of Sanwa buttons so I don't wanna go using a different brand and they are the ones usually in stock and the cheap Hori sticks I've found use them.

Anyway my main stick uses a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT, all Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons, and an octagonal gate.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Galaxy already answered this for me a while back but I'm glad for the answer especially for any future people coming in here.

Anyway I've gotten too used to the Sanwa's sensitive buttons that I've even changed my placing of my fingers. As opposed to my older stick using knock off versions of the Sanwa buttons which were too stiff. So it may be hard for me to go with anything else. But I'm still new and probably can't tell much of a difference. On the other hand, I've already gotten tons of Sanwa buttons so I don't wanna go using a different brand and they are the ones usually in stock and the cheap Hori sticks I've found use them.

Anyway my main stick uses a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT, all Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons, and an octagonal gate.
Hori manufactures their own joysticks and buttons that come stock with their fightsticks. They come stock with the Hori Hayabusa Joystick and Kuro buttons.)

Whew, I forgot about this thread.

I've become the opposite, honestly. Nowadays I'm pretty much always using the Sanwa JLF with a 2lb spring + Seimitsu buttons. I really dislike how sensitive Sanwa buttons are, likely because I'm heavy handed. So I've always gravitated towards Seimitsu.

I used to swear by the Seimitsu LS-58, but after breaking 3 of 'em, I defaulted to the JLF and dropped in the 2lb spring to make it feel better. I'm pretty happy with it, but using a stock JLF with the 0.9 spring still feels wrong to me.

I would probably use all Happ parts if they were easier to fit into enclosures. Well, maybe not. I've gotten too used to square gates in the past 10 years to go back to circular bat tops.
They manufacture batop adapters for use with Sanwa Joysticks; you can also purchase a Sanwa shaft that will take batops as well if I'm not mistaken.

Moderator note: Try not to multipost, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
Hori manufactures their own joysticks and buttons that come stock with their fightsticks. They come stock with the Hori Hayabusa Joystick and Kuro buttons.)
I know the Hori RAP 4 and 5 use Hayabusa Joystick and Kuro buttons, the Hori stick I salvaged mine are Hori RAP V3 and the Tekken Tag Tournament one. I think they are Sanwa. Or at least they are very very similar to the point I cannot tell the difference from the ones I got from the Hori sticks and the ones I purchased online.

Last edited:

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
they are indeed very similar, though I've heard people complain that kuro buttons are squeakier and have a different feel.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
they are indeed very similar, though I've heard people complain that kuro buttons are squeakier and have a different feel.
I really like my Kuro buttons.
By the way, I was thinking of making a new print for my HORI stick. Should I go for it?

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I think you're thinking that the button on the far right is the stick, and that's incorrect. That's the start/options button. The stick will likely go where you'd expect, right on the eye area of the Sheikah Slate illustration.
Bingo. It's like 20 bucks to do it with new plexi (mine's getting dirty). I probably will.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
After hearing that Mad Catz had released a new fight pad for the Ps3 and Ps4. I was thinking of getting one since I played much better on fight pad than I do on both controller and fight stick but since these fight pad have such short lifespans I ran into a few complications mostly the buttons began to wear and stick into the pad and knowing no one with experience with fight pad only with fight sticks. Because of that I had no other choice but to make the switch to stick. But seeing the new Mad Catz Street Fight 5 fightpad PRO it looks more durable than it previous predecessor.
Is it a good idea to throw in the $60 or will it just end up breaking within a few months?

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Is it a good idea to throw in the $60 or will it just end up breaking within a few months
I mainly use a fightstick but I've used the Hori fightpad before. It's a step up from just a normal controller, it's much cheaper than the Madcatz Fightpad and a lot of people seem to like it more.

Reactions: Lanxide

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I mainly use a fightstick but I've used the Hori fightpad before. It's a step up from just a normal controller, it's much cheaper than the Madcatz Fightpad and a lot of people seem to like it more.
Agreed, after doing a bit of research I've seen more negative comments about the Mad Catz fightpad than I had seen positive. It's sad since I was really into the pad design despite the high price tag. I ended up ordering the Hori Fighting Commander (which have a much cheaper pricetag) after hearing it's much better than the Mad Catz but I'm not a fan of their small Dpad. Hopefully it'll last longer than the previous Mad Catz fightpad I had in the past.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I ended up ordering the Hori Fighting Commander (which have a much cheaper pricetag) after hearing it's much better than the Mad Catz but I'm not a fan of their small Dpad.
The D-Pad didn't feel small at all to me. I guess it really depends on which Hori Commander you got though. I personally bought the Hori Fighting Commander 4. I sold it to my friend though since I preferred the Fightstick (more customization of parts)

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
Last edited:

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I have very little experience with fightsticks. To this day, I've only used one for a length of time longer than five minutes about 2 years ago at a pony convention in my hometown...needless to say I had no idea what I was doing compared to when I would use a controller in the exact same game (didn't help that it was on a different console than I was used to as well).

Funny story is that I was using it in SSF4 and the YouTuber JoshScorcher was behind me and asked why I didn't use my character Ultra and I told him how I normally could with a controller but it was my first time using a fightstick. Kinda sad that my first interaction with a YouTuber I'm a fan of can be summed up to: "You suck with a fightstick" ),: I later ended up playing him in a Smash Wii U tournament the same weekend and he easily wiped the floor with me. Even more ),:

That being said, I've always been interested in using a fightstick and luckily my brother-in-law had a few of his own and was willing to give me his SF4 fightstick (seen here: Amazon.com: Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick: Playstation 3: Video Games) since he said it was better to get one that was tinkered with than buy a brand new one outright. Not sure how true that was/is, but a free fightstick is a free fightstick and I accepted his offer. Unfortunately, him working for the navy caused him to be living in a place different to where his fightstick was at the time and to this day, I have not been able to 100% accept his offer. However, he and my sister recently moved back to where his stuff was and they have reclaimed all of their stuff including the fightstick and I plan to visit them this weekend to join them for a concert where I hope to return home with a "new" fightstick.

I'm sure there's ways to use this fightstick on a Windows laptop without too much trouble, but I guess the better question is: is this fightstick a decent one to start out with, regardless if it's been tinkered with or not?

TL;DR - I used a fightstick once, sucked at it. I wanted to get better. Brother-in-law offered to give me this one Amazon.com: Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick: Playstation 3: Video Games years ago. I accepted, but was unable to acquire it until now. Is it a good starter fightstick? Is it a good fightstick in general? And is it better to use a tinkered fightstick from a vet user than a brand new one?

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
TL;DR - I used a fightstick once, sucked at it. I wanted to get better. Brother-in-law offered to give me this one Amazon.com: Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick: Playstation 3: Video Games years ago. I accepted, but was unable to acquire it until now. Is it a good starter fightstick? Is it a good fightstick in general? And is it better to use a tinkered fightstick from a vet user than a brand new one?
a modified fightstick is definitely better than an unmodded one. Stock Fightsticks usually have loose joysticks and may not have a restrictor gate suited to your play style, and in the case of cheaper sticks may not have quality parts.

It's probably a good stick to start on but generally not the best fightstick. Madcatz unsurprisingly just filed for bankruptcy.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
It's probably a good stick to start on but generally not the best fightstick. Madcatz unsurprisingly just filed for bankruptcy.
Actually, MadCatz sticks were the best, though usually only their TE line. Depending what this stick was upgraded with (probably a better joystick and buttons, which is all it would need), it's not online "fine", but "preferred."

Reportedly, the main reason MadCatz filed for bankruptcy was poor Rock Band 4 sales, since MadCatz made the instruments for that.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
a modified fightstick is definitely better than an unmodded one. Stock Fightsticks usually have loose joysticks and may not have a restrictor gate suited to your play style, and in the case of cheaper sticks may not have quality parts.

Actually, MadCatz sticks were the best, though usually only their TE line. Depending what this stick was upgraded with (probably a better joystick and buttons, which is all it would need), it's not online "fine", but "preferred."

Reportedly, the main reason MadCatz filed for bankruptcy was poor Rock Band 4 sales, since MadCatz made the instruments for that.
Thanks for the input, guys. Always good to get advice from multiple, experienced parties. Especially from someone who is actually working on the game I plan to use it on. I'll definitely ask my bro-in-law about the modifications when I get the chance.

And I just heard about the MadCatz thing today actually. I was never a big MadCatz fan since I always preferred official controllers and never had a fightstick, so it doesn't bother me that much. But at the same time, still sucks for a company that had been around for so long to suck the big one after putting all their chips into one product that was (supposedly) guaranteed to sell well.

Invader TAK

Master of Random
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Northern Illinois
Anyone know a good modern fight stick to Dreamcast adapter or something?

Also for Sega Saturn
There are aftermarket PCBs like the PS360+ and Multi Console Cthulhu that support those systems through RJ-45 (same jack as an ethernet cable). Depending on what stick you have, the installation may or may not require soldering.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So I was able to get that fightstick from my brother-in-law and tested it out. Works pretty well, unfortunately I'm unable to get it working on my laptop and I can't seem to find any useful help in getting it to work on here. Anyone got any ideas on how to get this PS3 fightstick working with my laptop? Anything would be useful. I'd prefer to not spend money on getting this to work on my laptop, but if that's what I'm stuck doing then so be it.

Amazon.com: Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightStick: Playstation 3: Video Games

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Are there fight sticks available for left-handers? I'm right-handed, but I've only really played 2D fighters on cpu, so I"m used to the attack buttons being on the left (ASDZXC) and I don't wanna have to feel like a left-handed noob everytime I switch consoles.

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
There are aftermarket PCBs like the PS360+ and Multi Console Cthulhu that support those systems through RJ-45 (same jack as an ethernet cable). Depending on what stick you have, the installation may or may not require soldering.
Can I have a link to a good place to buy? Also, I don't have to worry about soldering as there's a electronics repair shop in my building that does that stuff for me. Also, I have a friend who used to repair CRTV's and now repairs phones and tablets who can solder stuff for me.

Also, recently got myself a Dreamcast arcade stick at the recent comic convention. It was second hand and looks like its old enough to have a drivers license. Got home with it and it wasn't working. Figured the connections have come loose as the cable looks like its endured hell. Opened it up and I was right. Two wire connections have broken off the board. But weirdly it's a little board covered in bubble wrap separate from the rest of the components. Follow the rest of the cable and it looks like it's connected to a second set of cables which looks like it belongs on a Sega Saturn. Disconnect the little board wrapped in bubble wrap and connect the second set of cables to my Saturn. It works perfectly. Get the little board's cables soldered again, connect it and now it works on my Dreamcast. Cool, got an arcade stick that works on Saturn and Dreamcast. Look online, it turns out its a Saturn stick that some company resold as a Dreamcast stick by hastily putting in a Saturn to Dreamcast controller converter. Here's a pic I found online.

Invader TAK

Master of Random
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Northern Illinois
Can I have a link to a good place to buy? Also, I don't have to worry about soldering as there's a electronics repair shop in my building that does that stuff for me. Also, I have a friend who used to repair CRTV's and now repairs phones and tablets who can solder stuff for me.

Also, recently got myself a Dreamcast arcade stick at the recent comic convention. It was second hand and looks like its old enough to have a drivers license. Got home with it and it wasn't working. Figured the connections have come loose as the cable looks like its endured hell. Opened it up and I was right. Two wire connections have broken off the board. But weirdly it's a little board covered in bubble wrap separate from the rest of the components. Follow the rest of the cable and it looks like it's connected to a second set of cables which looks like it belongs on a Sega Saturn. Disconnect the little board wrapped in bubble wrap and connect the second set of cables to my Saturn. It works perfectly. Get the little board's cables soldered again, connect it and now it works on my Dreamcast. Cool, got an arcade stick that works on Saturn and Dreamcast. Look online, it turns out its a Saturn stick that some company resold as a Dreamcast stick by hastily putting in a Saturn to Dreamcast controller converter. Here's a pic I found online.
I got my PS360+ at focusattack.com (US based but they ship worldwide) and haven't had any problems.

Klisk

Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
New Jersey
Similarly, if you just want a basic adapter to those legacy consoles, raphnet technologies - Products

Try to stick to Raphnet for this stuff since they actually care about input lag, and in the case of Gamecube/N64, they even make sure the internal calibration is on point.

Changepony21

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Are there fight sticks available for left-handers? I'm right-handed, but I've only really played 2D fighters on cpu, so I"m used to the attack buttons being on the left (ASDZXC) and I don't wanna have to feel like a left-handed noob everytime I switch consoles.
unfortunately, you'd have to build one yourself. you can find templates on slagcoin.com just flip the image before you print.

Reactions: Tox