Pen & Paper and other Tabletop Games

Equestrian Wyvern

The Necrogryphon
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Free? Like, there some form of distribution or something one can do if they own the book?

Also: In the games I've played, we've been pretty flexible with the icons. Like, we could use each of the champions as an icon (or the nation their from), as well as the Devourer and the Prophet. That gives 9 icons right there. Or if one wanted, one could even adapt the 'factions' in this forum for the same purpose. Granted, it's not the nice 13 that comes with the game, but there's also the alternate rules that exist for 7 icons if one wanted to try and adapt it that way. But methinks the biggest issue lies not with adapting the system, but finding enough people who know/play 13th Age.

I suspect it has less to do with a fondness for Pathfinder, and more to do with the cost and familiarity of it. It would seem that there are versions of Pathfinder that are both digital and free, and when trying to get a group together, both of those points are ever so appealing.
In terms of 13th age, being yet another OGL based game has an SRD that you can find online, it just doesn't quite get the attention the Pathfinder SRD so it is a bit rougher around the edges. Generally that should be sufficient for a player as long as the GM owns a copy of the rulebook to fill in the gaps. Honestly the champions would not really work all that well as icons as while they are immensely important to the fate of the setting they don't really have the broad overarching influence that Icons have.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I don't think we really need to overcomplicate the whole thing, both rule and storywise. If nothing else we can work with the factionrps' simplified versions and for story, we can just start with the brave heroes meeting at the local bar, get asked to do something and procceed in destroying saving the local area. No need for some earth-shattering background story.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I rolled a natural 100, I get to steal everyone's wallets without them being any the wiser!

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
In my limited knowledge, isn't it rolling a '1' that is a critical failure? In a multi-die game, there would have to be an after-the-fact penalty to your roll to get a 1 though.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but a 'natural' is just the face value on the die (or dice), without boosts/penalties applied after the fact (like if your character happens to have a perk that adds X to your roll)?

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
In my limited knowledge, isn't it rolling a '1' that is a critical failure? In a multi-die game, there would have to be an after-the-fact penalty to your roll to get a 1 though.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but a 'natural' is just the face value on the die (or dice), without boosts/penalties applied after the fact (like if your character happens to have a perk that adds X to your roll)?
That would be 100% accurate. In D&D/Pathfinder a natural 20 is a crit success, and a natural 1 is a crit fail (technically pathfinder says that crit fails are an optional rule, but still)

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
That would be 100% accurate. In D&D/Pathfinder a natural 20 is a crit success, and a natural 1 is a crit fail (technically pathfinder says that crit fails are an optional rule, but still)
Thanks for the confirmation.

I gleaned it from a story series called, appropriately enough, "Critical Failures". A series which features a D&D clone becomes a real world for the main characters by way of enchanted set of icosahedrons. It didn't actually explain what a 'natural' was, but I took a reasonable guess based on the term itself (as in 'natural: something existing without artificial intervention').

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah 1 is a failure and 20 is a success but that's when you're using a d20 in D&D.

I wasn't talking about D&D here, I assume that when you're rolling a d100 you're rolling for a percentage, and assuming that your stats are also a percentage and it make more sense for them to get higher as you get better then when you roll you are aiming to get a result that is lower than the stat used right?

Because if it's the other way around then the bigger your stats the lower your chance of success.

So 1 is a critical success, because it's the lowest number, and 100 is the critical failure because it's the highest.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Yeah 1 is a failure and 20 is a success but that's when you're using a d20 in D&D.

I wasn't talking about D&D here, I assume that when you're rolling a d100 you're rolling for a percentage, and assuming that your stats are also a percentage and it make more sense for them to get higher as you get better then when you roll you are aiming to get a result that is lower than the stat used right?

Because if it's the other way around then the bigger your stats the lower your chance of success.

So 1 is a critical success, because it's the lowest number, and 100 is the critical failure because it's the highest.
So that's how percentage works, that actually makes sense. Anyway, (refering to everyone) when are we gonna get this started? Like make a discord chat or something? It'll probably be easier to get down exactly what we are doing that way.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Never used Discord myself. Heard good things. Plus you know, reminds me of a certain Lawyer Friendly Equines character XD

Will everyone be using text chat though? I know it supports voice chat, but I can't hear very well, and that goes double if whomever is talking is using a crap mic and/or has an accent I have trouble understanding. I actually have a decent mic of my own (Blue Yeti). I've used it mainly for video game commentary though.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Isn't this basically a turn based game though? Ah well, if I'm playing, so long as important information and messages intended for me specifically are passed as text, that'll be fine.

I installed Discord BTW.

Shadow of Death#2056 - That should do it. I'll probably only be using it when this goes on (again, presuming I'm participating). I use Steam as my default chat platform.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I generally don't Min/Max in any game myself. Like, I don't go to extraordinary lengths to maximize the effectiveness of my character's chose class/skills. I kind of hated Oblivion's leveling system. Skyrim's was much better (or at least the leveling up bit was). Of course, both Oblivion and Skyrim could become game-breakingly easy later on after maximizing the right skills, and in the case of Oblivion, crafting the right spells.

Can we craft a spell of "Kill everything" in P&P? "Shadow attempts to cast 'Spell of Kill Everything'....Rolls a 20...Critical Success!....Everything dies...Like, all the enemy mobs, the endgame boss, that random sheep two blocks away....his allies...He survives his own spell because ummm, built in immunity I guess? Shadow wins all the loot! Uhhhh, game over I guess?"

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I generally don't Min/Max in any game myself. Like, I don't go to extraordinary lengths to maximize the effectiveness of my character's chose class/skills. I kind of hated Oblivion's leveling system. Skyrim's was much better (or at least the leveling up bit was). Of course, both Oblivion and Skyrim could become game-breakingly easy later on after maximizing the right skills, and in the case of Oblivion, crafting the right spells.

Can we craft a spell of "Kill everything" in P&P? "Shadow attempts to cast 'Spell of Kill Everything'....Rolls a 20...Critical Success!....Everything dies...Like, all the enemy mobs, the endgame boss, that random sheep two blocks away....his allies...He survives his own spell because ummm, built in immunity I guess? Shadow wins all the loot! Uhhhh, game over I guess?"
Generally, even if it is technically possible in a system, the DM is supposed to slap that sillyness down before it gets that bad, or create an appropriate challenge to a party that powerful. Though saying things like that are impossible would be lying... I'll go find an article on the bag of puppies. Found it! http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?90959-Bucket-o-puppies-n-Cleave

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Puppies make the best ammunition.
It's actually not ammunition. So there's an ability called great cleave, which essentially makes it so that you hit everything (with whatever weapon you are using) in front of you, and for each thing that dies, you get to use it again. Que the horrible, horrible abuse of this mechanic to its ultimate hilarity. Essentially you carry around a bag of puppies and you toss it open then use great cleave as much as you want to end the badguy in front of you.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
It's actually not ammunition. So there's an ability called great cleave, which essentially makes it so that you hit everything (with whatever weapon you are using) in front of you, and for each thing that dies, you get to use it again. Que the horrible, horrible abuse of this mechanic to its ultimate hilarity. Essentially you carry around a bag of puppies and you toss it open then use great cleave as much as you want to end the badguy in front of you.
I know the mechanic in question. I actually grew up playing AD&D and D&D 3/3.5.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
If you guys hurt puppies in a game I am in, I will set you on fire and enjoy watching you writhe in agony as you burn to death. Use cats.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
If you harm any turtle I'll make you eat your own limbs.
Yeesh...
Dude, it was a joke, I love turtles, I've raised, like, four or five in my whole life. All I meant was that their shells would hurt A LOT if you took one to the gonads... repeatedly.

And 2.
Ditto. Turtles be best things eva. By the by you would be suprised how fast the small ones can scuttle around.
I know, sometimes we'd lose ours under the couch because they were so fast. We eventually got ours back, hut man did they need a rinse after, all that dust and couch fluff stuck on them. Ugh.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Yeesh...
Dude, it was a joke, I love turtles, I've raised, like, four or five in my whole life. All I meant was that their shells would hurt A LOT if you took one to the gonads... repeatedly.
I was just following the trend of threatening people with disproportionate retribution for daring to suggest using a cute animal as a sacrifice to use a powergaming technique.

Reactions: Feanor

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
If you guys hurt puppies in a game I am in, I will set you on fire and enjoy watching you writhe in agony as you burn to death. Use cats.
Ditto for me, except if you use cats, I will eviscerate you guys instead.

Use Canadian Geese. Seriously, they're just irritating poop machines.
If you harm any turtle I'll make you eat your own limbs.
I was just following the trend of threatening people with disproportionate retribution for daring to suggest using a cute animal as a sacrifice to use a powergaming technique.
Very well! Then I shall sacrifice baby goats to the min/max overlords.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Very well! Then I shall sacrifice baby goats to the min/max overlords.
Baby goats? Thinking of the setting, wouldn't that be like using human babies?

I just realized... we may not be able to keep up with your request.... ALL SHEEP USE PUPPIES TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!! if we run into a sheep that attacks us, we may need to slap a few puppies down, k?

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Seriously though everyone, Canadian Geese. I mean sure, they're a protected species up here, but they really are just honking douches that poop green stuff all over the place. You have execute some fancy footwork in a 'Dodge the birdshit' game whenever you walk through an area they've been in force. Because they're a protected species, they don't fear humans. I mean, I've never been personally attacked by one, but still.

So, as sacrificial animal choices go, you could do worse. Plus it sounds like an inside joke already "Why Canadian Geese though? I don't get it?", no?

Also swans. Swans are also a-holes, I hear.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Seriously though everyone, Canadian Geese. I mean sure, they're a protected species up here, but they really are just honking douches that poop green stuff all over the place. You have execute some fancy footwork in a 'Dodge the birdshit' game whenever you walk through an area they've been in force. Because they're a protected species, they don't fear humans. I mean, I've never been personally attacked by one, but still.

So, as sacrificial animal choices go, you could do worse. Plus it sounds like an inside joke already "Why Canadian Geese though? I don't get it?", no?

Also swans. Swans are also a-holes, I hear.
You know this isn't a serious tactic right? It's so ludicrous and stupid that NO ONE would seriously allow it unless that's exactly what they were going for.

I just realized TFH is gonna be pretty dark, because every time you fight pom, you're LITERALLY gonna be kicking the dog. YOU MONSTER!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
You know this isn't a serious tactic right? It's so ludicrous and stupid that NO ONE would seriously allow it unless that's exactly what they were going for.

I just realized TFH is gonna be pretty dark, because every time you fight pom, you're LITERALLY gonna be kicking the dog. YOU MONSTER!
So I assume we basically came up with the personality of the final boss?

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com

I'm just going along with the running joke. I suppose it's tired now though.