Pen & Paper and other Tabletop Games

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Soooo, who here plays these sorts of games, or at least has an interest in them?

I can't say I really play tabletop games, be they board games or Pen and Paper affairs. It's not that I don't want to (I really would like to try out D&D or Ponyfinder), but it's just not really practical in my case, to say nothing of the fact I'm a bit asocial TBH.

For those that don't know, 'Pen and Paper' type games are those that rely heavily on keeping track of stats and conditions, and often have some sort of master/overseer that keeps track of the game as a whole, while you are personally responsible for your own character(s). The most famous example of this is, of course, Dungeons and Dragons. In the pony fan community, there is Ponyfinder, a game inspired by both D&D and Lawyer Friendly Equines.

Tabletop games in general are fairly self-explanatory. If it requires some surface to play, it's a tabletop game most likely. They can range from things like Chess to Monopoly.

As far as tabletop games go, I don't play much of these either. Sometimes when the family is on vacation, if I go along, we'll play something. I like Around the World (The version I played is from the mid 70's or 80's I think, so it was quite out of date XD), as well as Monopoly (I haven't played that in years!), and Life (almost as long). Incidentally, I recently picked up the Lawyer Friendly Equines themed versions of both Monopoly and Life. I wonder if I'll ever have reason to open them *sighs*.

Reactions: Queezeey

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I play Pathfinder. I'm currently in a Level 3 campaign, which is both super fun and super difficult. I still manage to make epic moments of awesome, like punching out a dragon.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I had posted a thread on silly pen and paper games that went nowhere, so I'll just say it again here.

One game that I go out of my way to play every year at a certain convention is Ninja Burger, a hilarious pen and paper game where you have to deliver ninja fast food to some random place and deal with bizarre obstacles and enemies along the way (depending on what kind of campaign it is). It always gets a good laugh out of me and everyone else who plays it. I'm usually the driver, and my possessions are:
  • A can of oil
  • Fuzzy Dice
  • Car Keys
  • Senbon
  • The Magical Skateboard of Radicalness
I also love to play various board and card games at these conventions, especially MTG (when someone has a non-EDH deck that is). Some of my favorites include:
  • Munchkin (any version)
  • Machi Koro
  • Ticket to Ride (no con or board gaming meetup is complete without it)
  • Roll for the Galaxy
  • Alhambra
  • Carcassonne
  • Trans-America
  • Trains
Come to think of it, I like to play a lot of Train games, one could say that I like trains.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
Pathfinder player here, although I'm more often GM'ing for my group of friends than actually playing myself. The reason for that is that a couple of them don't even know how to play (as an example, I've got a friend running around as Patchy the Pirate from SpongeBob) so there's a magical increase in plot convenience wherever they go ("Yes, that guy just caught the 100-ton boulder that was about to land on your head, don't question it he's half orc"). Right now they're bluffing their way out of a high-security prison by claiming they're engineers inspecting the Clockwork Sentinels that were recently installed.

The last game I played in we (the players) had a contest to see who could throw a disembodied orc head higher up into the sky, instead of saving a town ravaged by disease like we were supposed to.

Reactions: baxdab

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
I personally haven't delved into Pen & Paper RPGs too much. I hopped in at the tail end of an open D&D campaign at a game shop near me and wound up controlling the armies of allies the players had amassed instead of building a character while the main party took on the big bad. It was... well, it was epic to watch, at the very least. XD
I've looked into Ponyfinder and similar Lawyer Friendly Equines themed systems, but never really got into them.
All this said, I HAVE gotten into two rather obscure systems in the past. The first was the official Warriors RPG system, where everyone created a cat in the Warriors universe and grouped up for the good of the Clans. The second was Pokemon Tabletop Adventures, which allows players to go down multiple avenues on their adventures, such as a Ranger, Breeder, Scientist, and of course, Trainer. Both were quite entertaining.

As for Tabletop games, I own a WHOLE bunch, most from Gamewright due to their prices, along with Munchkin, Elder Sign, and the like. However, most of my friends are over the interwebs, so we tend to play Tabletop Simulator a bunch, which is a Steam-hosted tabletop game simulator powered by steam workshop users, who provide a whole bunch of awesome games that you can play with friends. (I personally made a Sun & Moon mod a while back, which is kinda like a Lawyer Friendly Equines-themed game of chess) While I do value owning a physical version of a game a bit more, being able to test a bunch of other games on the market without having to drop $40+ on them is definitely a nice option, in addition to being able to play those games with friends from all around the world.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I only played D&D once (Though a friend of mine do likes other tabletop games, like the Doom RPG), and let's just say my bad luck saved the team a few times. Generally anything happened, it was always me who didn't spot the enemy, got targeted, got hit, missed, while the rest could take down the enemy unmolested. I had a close relationship with the chapel.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I've tried a few tabletop RPGs but... mostly in actual tabletop I've played the end of an Hawkmoon campaign, a session of D&D second edition, a bit of call of Chtulhu, two sessions of The One Ring and a slew of smaller games and games that probably aren't know out of France. If you include online I've played Vampire the requiem on a forum and I now have a Pathfinder group through Roll20. There's also been talk of setting a up a In Nomine Satanis game on skype with some people I RP with on a Lawyer Friendly Equines RP forum. I also play a bit of Weaverdice on IRC.

I like RPGs games and I would like to play more of them.

As for tabletops I don't really have the occassion to play them anymore but before that nobody wanted to play Monopoly with me because I kept having the luckiest dice throws ever when I did.

Edit: Lawyer Friendly Equines? Uh. Okay. I'll be more careful.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
I have a lot of Tabletop Games, but no one around me seems to want to play them. When they do, all they want to play is Nintendo-themed Monopoly. :(

Railroad Tycoon: The Board Game (Plus the Rails of Europe expansion)
King Maker (an Avalon Hill game from the 70's)
Star Trek: Fleet Captains (and its 2 expansions)
Shadows over Camelot (and its expansion)
Titanic: The Board Game
Splendor (My little brother has defeated us every single time we have played this)
Heroclix
Star Trek: Attack Wing (I was an ace at this one in my local area, hands down the first game I was able to consistently win prizes for. But since December 2015, interest in the game all together in my area dried up, leaving me unable to finish an Organized Play series, and no opponents. Figures :( )

And lastly, my latest game to play: Star Fleet Battles.

Norad2

As unprepared for TFH as Pom.
Crowdfund Backer
Jun 21, 2016
Ohio
For real though, I'd be down for a Foenum-themed campaign.
PANIC! The lands of Fœnum have been thrust into a state of unrest and chaos!

Unable to reach an agreement, a multitude of nations and herds have each named a champion to recover the Key that will enable them to lock away the Predators like the hero of old.

But with every moment spent fighting for the Key, more Predators seep through the cracks between worlds.

Previously harmless creatures, from rat to raccoon, have turned hostile and violent, affected by the vile change carried on the winds.

The imperial army of the longma nation has been deployed for less than two weeks, and already it has been stretched to its breaking point.

But while the champions struggle to claim the Key, another story is just beginning...

Last edited:

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Unable to reach an agreement, a multitude of nations and herds have each named a champion to recover the Key that will enable them to lock away the Predators like the hero of old.

But with every moment spent fighting for the Key, more Predators seep through the cracks between worlds.

Previously harmless creatures, from rat to raccoon, have turned hostile and violent, affected by the vile change carried on the winds.

The imperial army of the longma nation has been deployed for less than two weeks, and already it has been stretched to its breaking point.

But while the champions struggle to claim the Key, another story is just beginning...

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains

Very well. What system are we using? Because I want in! :D

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Very well. What system are we using? Because I want in! :D
Same, I'd be down with that.
To go with everyone's chatting above, I've played D&D (4th edition and 2nd edition sadly, but I kinda know 3.5 from Neverwinter nights and the like), and I'm trying to get into pathfinder. For systems I own but haven't set up to play, I have Lawyer Friendly Equines based ponyfinder, and a few days ago got Roan, which looks kinda cool.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I apparently forgot to mention I'd be interested as well... if you're thinking of playing via voice chat I'll probably sit it out though, my english pronunciation is pretty bad.

As for free Pen & Paper games well... I play Pathfinder... you can find pretty much all the ressources online... I think the ressources for D&D 3.5 are also available for free? I don't know much besides that...

V.A.a.M.P.P

The Man that had a plan but forgot it
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Great Unknown in Texas
Man I would love to do any kind of D&D stuff, I just started getting into it with friend's but due to scheduleing we haven't met up in a while. so if any ideas can float around on how we can do it, JUST DO IT

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So then, what system shall we all use? Anyone know of any good free Pen & Paper games?
Same, I'd be down with that.
To go with everyone's chatting above, I've played D&D (4th edition and 2nd edition sadly, but I kinda know 3.5 from Neverwinter nights and the like), and I'm trying to get into pathfinder. For systems I own but haven't set up to play, I have Lawyer Friendly Equines based ponyfinder, and a few days ago got Roan, which looks kinda cool.
Pathfinder is what I mostly play. As for systems, there is a site called Roll20, which is an online client for D&D/Pathfinder

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Pathfinder is what I mostly play. As for systems, there is a site called Roll20, which is an online client for D&D/Pathfinder
Okay, I'm just figuring out how this might work if we used pathfinder for the Foenum campaign. Would it be that a practitioner of dark magic who uses a book would be a wizard and their "demon" would be a familiar? And a member of the order of the horn would be a druid or cleric? Or would we be looser on that kind of thing? If this is weird to ask, to be fair, I've barely done any PnP, and what I have done has been not very serious.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Oh my God, all of this is SO confusing... but if there's a chance at screwing over a teammate, cont me in because that's my jam! Now... what's Pen n' Paper again?

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Oh my God, all of this is SO confusing... but if there's a chance at screwing over a teammate, cont me in because that's my jam! Now... what's Pen n' Paper again?
It's roleplaying games before computers. NOW LET THE DUNGEONS AND THE DRAGONS BEGIN! IT'S D&D!

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Alright! Pen n' Paper virgin right here! Me, not Mighty.
Basically... think of it like what we've already been doing in the RP threads, except instead of rolling for success of a whole session, you roll for individual actions, and one person called the game master (or dungeon master) controls everything outside of the OCs people have rolled up. Also a few more complicated things are thrown in, such as characters having statistics, and in certain systems like D&D and pathfinder, classes (wizard, sorcerer, paladin, ect.), but that's the jist of it.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Basically... think of it like what we've already been doing in the RP threads, except instead of rolling for success of a whole session, you roll for individual actions, and one person called the game master (or dungeon master) controls everything outside of the OCs people have rolled up. Also a few more complicated things are thrown in, such as characters having statistics, and in certain systems like D&D and pathfinder, classes (wizard, sorcerer, paladin, ect.), but that's the jist of it.
Sounds simple enough, sound like something I could get into as well.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Would need to chew through the rules first, but if I have time, I would be interested. Btw, Discord has an actual written chat function for those who can't use voice chat for whatever reason.
By the by, I would just use RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service for rolling stuff. It's more random for random, than those measly pseudo-randoms computers generate. It even have a dice roller!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Yeah, we will grab that cannon, mount on your back and use you as our guard! Granted you will only be able to aim with your butt, but we won't need to install it on a building!

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
I'd be hella down for a TFH campaign. I'm most well-versed with Pathfinder but I've dabbled in 3.5 and 4th edition DnD as well. Usually I'm the DM so it'll be a nice change to be a player for once, lol.

The best app I've found for doing DnD or pathfinder long distance has gotta be Fantasy Grounds, but it requires the DM to have bought it to give everyone else access to all the features. Also, there is the obvious downside that it would require a computer and a bit of doing on everyone's part to get working, but otherwise it's by far the best virtual tabletop service I've found.

On the other hand, roll20 works fine as well and even has an app for android.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Yeah, we will grab that cannon, mount on your back and use you as our guard! Granted you will only be able to aim with your butt, but we won't need to install it on a building!
Hey, Astro Boy had butt machine guns, it could work.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Hey, Astro Boy had butt machine guns, it could work.
........ If you didn't get the reference, then go read Fallout The Glue Factory, my friend.

By the by, if we finally decide on a ruleset, how will the characters be built? (I personally want a Ghost Paka for reasons) Will we just apply some other race's traits no matter the character's?

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
........ If you didn't get the reference, then go read Fallout The Glue Factory, my friend.

By the by, if we finally decide on a ruleset, how will the characters be built? (I personally want a Ghost Paka for reasons) Will we just apply some other race's traits no matter the character's?
I didn't, and I'm planning to. Also, this building of characters seems fun, but can I literally make ANYTHING?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I didn't, and I'm planning to. Also, this building of characters seems fun, but can I literally make ANYTHING?
I think whe should leave out the 79 legged burning sheep with a quickly growing horn made of pure magnesiun, so it can use it to blind other creatures by eating parts of said horn and glowing with an ungodly light, while the pomptipedes do a tapdance routine on the poor victim.
New boss?

Reactions: 0Zero100

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I think whe should leave out the 79 legged burning sheep with a quickly growing horn made of pure magnesiun, so it can use it to blind other creatures by eating parts of said horn and glowing with an ungodly light, while the pomptipedes do a tapdance routine on the poor victim.
New boss?
Well... I really only wanted to make a bear that was made of lava... but now I want whatever that monstrosity was.