Forum Improvements log

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester

Improvements
  • Some new toys for you guys to play with in the smilies department. Looking to eventually replace the basic set as well. Please note that excessive use of these is a violation of global forum rule #4 and will be dealt with accordingly. They also are not enabled for Profile posts.

:arizona::Velvet::oleander:
:Paprika::Pom::Tianhuo:
Let me put this to the test.
:Pom:is :eek:.
:Velvet:is :cool:.
:Tianhuo:is :mad:.

It works! Bwahahaha! Time to commit some emoticon EVIL upon the world.

rod7post

sorry for my english! :c
Feb 3, 2016
the site is so slow for me when I login and sometimes not load D: I was create a new account for testing, and work good :'c

anuka!! you currupter my account since you ban me </3

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
the site is so slow for me when I login and sometimes not load D: I was create a new account for testing, and work good :'c

anuka!! you currupter my account since you ban me </3
Probably not the case man, I mean, I got banned and I don't suffer slow site loading. It must just be you dude.

rod7post

sorry for my english! :c
Feb 3, 2016
I delete cache, cockies, history, use ccleaner D: and reinstall google chrome :c and only have this problem in this account, on firefox and chrome, and I was 15 min for login, enter a this thread and don't quote you my friends @0Zero100 for I would be forever :c

only in this account I have this problem D:

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
There's an issue where threads I watch when a new post shows up it doesn't notify me in the alerts. Maybe it's an issue cause I watch alot of threads.
This is actually a well known issue with the XenForo system. It's not that you're not getting alerts when you should be, it's that the system doesn't believe you should be getting alerts of new posts because there are still unread posts in the thread. (if it gave you an alert for each post in a thread, your alerts would flood super quickly) One of the most common points at which this has happened to me are when multiple people post before you check the alert, causing posts to roll over to the next page, and accidentally forgetting to check that page. There are a few other cases where it can happen of course (i.e. checking alerts without reading the thread) but that's the one I've run into the most.
Now, as for how I deal with it, I have two fail-safes. First off, I have the forum send e an e-mail every time a post is made to a thread I follow and don't want to miss activity on. Does this flood my email? Yes, but I'd prefer to be flooded than miss a thread post, so I deal. (plus, sorting them and clearing them out is super easy since they're all from the same address) And second, every once in a while, whenever I check my alerts, I also pop open the "watched threads" tab. This tab shows any thread you follow that has an unread post. I can't tell you how many times I've caught a thread there that I wasn't getting alerts from, it really is quite useful. That said, I think there might be an expiration date on threads shown there, so for super old threads, you may have to hit the "Show all watched threads" button to check activity when you've been away for a while.
And for the record, no, this isn't a thing that's easily fixable. It's easier for everyone if users simply learn alternate ways to check the forums for activity, of which XenForo has many.

Reactions: Sutekh94

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Just a heads up. Forums will be having a bit of downtime later tonight (around 11pm or so pacific) for maintenance and platform upgrades.

They ideally shouldn't be down for too long, but we'll see what happens.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Upgrade done. Thanks for your patience, and as always, please report any bugs and issues that inevitably cropped up with this version.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Velvet seems to have stepped down from best ungulate. Also, I was curious what was that syntax error the site mentioned in the morning.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Velvet seems to have stepped down from best ungulate. Also, I was curious what was that syntax error the site mentioned in the morning.
While the maintenance was going on? - Upgrade is performed by overwriting about 3000 files on the server, then "installing" the new version. Syntax errors are in this case caused by critical old files (javascript refused to go in nicely and some... buttering... was required) being caught in the process of overwriting when they're called to draw the page. One file is saying "do this!", and getting confused when the other doesn't do what it's meant to. Thus, error.

Obviously Anu's doing.
But who was the one who made Velvet the best ungulate?

Also, is that facebook recommend thingy on the bottom of the page new?
Yes. Should also be a twitter thing somewhere. I'll see what happened to that.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
While the maintenance was going on? - Upgrade is performed by overwriting about 3000 files on the server, then "installing" the new version. Syntax errors are in this case caused by critical old files (javascript refused to go in nicely and some... buttering... was required) being caught in the process of overwriting when they're called to draw the page. One file is saying "do this!", and getting confused when the other doesn't do what it's meant to. Thus, error.

Yes. Should also be a twitter thing somewhere. I'll see what happened to that.
Facebook made SURE that that bird would 'tweet' no more...

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
There. Bottom of pages now should have a Twitter/google/facebook link. I don't particularly expect to see much use out of these, but I'm not really a social media person, so who knows!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Okay, I have a weird bug on phone. Basically no matter what link I click, what I write in the adress bar, the forums only show the main page. I literally clicked every option on the site that's not the share button, and while the adress bar do change, it only loads the main page.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
Okay, I have a weird bug on phone. Basically no matter what link I click, what I write in the adress bar, the forums only show the main page. I literally clicked every option on the site that's not the share button, and while the adress bar do change, it only loads the main page.
That's a new one. Throw me a PM with model, browser (+version), when it started, screencaps, etc, and I'll look into it.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
It.... fixed itself. Wow, even your presence was enough. Due to this I assume it was caused on my end, so should I still send all kinds of stuff? (Pics are out as I can't really recreate it) I'll keep my eye open if it pops up again though, it haunted me all day.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
No idea man.

Off the top of my head, leading theory is that JS was getting stuck on the loading of the page, which can be either an error on your end or the forum's. Backend error logs aren't throwing any clues on this issue, and I've not done anything in that zone, so...

Still, if it happens again, throw me a PM and I'll take a closer look.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
This is a weird one.

Instead of having that like/quote/reply bar firmly rooted at the bottom of the comment, it seems to move up and down when I open or close the spoiler tag. (It was beta's comment that made me notice this, that's why I'm using it as a image)
upload_2016-9-28_21-41-14.png

upload_2016-9-28_21-41-54.png

And it seems for short comments for users without a signature, that bottom bar "floats"
upload_2016-9-28_21-48-48.png

Having a like also seems to fix it.

.....I should've used shorter images.

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
This is a weird one.

Instead of having that like/quote/reply bar firmly rooted at the bottom of the comment, it seems to move up and down when I open or close the spoiler tag. (It was beta's comment that made me notice this, that's why I'm using it as a image)
View attachment 976
View attachment 977

And it seems for short comments for users without a signature, that bottom bar "floats"
View attachment 978

Seems to me like that might be intentional. After all, the same happens with your comment when the spoiler is expanded. It's likely just a way the system prevents messages from covering over that portion of the UI when a spoiler is expanded.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
No, that does look at least partially like a bug. Elements sliding is understandable as a "feature", but stuff shouldn't be getting covered by other stuff.

I just upgraded the forum platform and the parent layout theme. It's possible a file might have not merged properly, or it could well be an actual error on the new css files.

I'll be giving it a look when I have time. For now, I'm assuming it's not entirely forum breaking and in need of an immediate emergency fix.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
There seems to be a minor bug when one is typing in italics. Occasionally, a single pixel or two from a letter will remain in the text box after deleting the text. It is a rather minor, non-system breaking thing, but I figure you'd like to know about it.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
This is a weird one.

View attachment 976
View attachment 977

View attachment 978

I applied a quickfix by commenting out a bit of code in the relevant elements, but I need to look a bit deeper into the usage of the stuff I just took out, so there MIGHT be some unintended side-effects. I've tested it with Firefox, Chrome and Edge on Win7/10, seems to be working fine. Please report any weirdness happening there.

There seems to be a minor bug when one is typing in italics. Occasionally, a single pixel or two from a letter will remain in the text box after deleting the text. It is a rather minor, non-system breaking thing, but I figure you'd like to know about it.
Browser and OS?; If you can get me some screencaps, better. It might be fixable, or it might be a browser-based rendering error, would have to check.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I applied a quickfix by commenting out a bit of code in the relevant elements, but I need to look a bit deeper into the usage of the stuff I just took out, so there MIGHT be some unintended side-effects. I've tested it with Firefox, Chrome and Edge on Win7/10, seems to be working fine. Please report any weirdness happening there.

Browser and OS?; If you can get me some screencaps, better. It might be fixable, or it might be a browser-based rendering error, would have to check.
Firefox, Win 7 Home Premium.
error.png

I typed " f " a number of times, then held down backspace. It seems the problem is when one italicizes the text, and uses the taller letters. Unsure about the other text modes (or whatever they're called).

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
View attachment 989
I typed " f " a number of times, then held down backspace. It seems the problem is when one italicizes the text, and uses the taller letters. Unsure about the other text modes (or whatever they're called).
I can't seem to replicate it. Not with ' f ', or with other tall letters like ' l ' or ' b '. Not in the short comment box, or the full one. It's possible it's your copy specifically that's bugging out.

Firefox 49.0.1 x64 | Windows 10

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
View attachment 989
et al.

I can't seem to replicate it on any firefox between 43.0b9 (my work copy), and 49.0.1, on either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Ultimate (x64 for both), in either the quick reply or the full one, and from above reports, it's not present on either chrome or Win10. Haven't tested Win8 so far, but... Yeah, this is sounding like an individual issue rather than a forum one. I'll continue looking into it, though.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm running with Firefox 49.0.1. Perhaps then it has something to do with my monitor. I'd wager my GPU, but I switched recently, and it did the little dot thing on both cards.

If nothing else, I suppose I'll get to be a special snowflake with my mysterious floating dots.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I've come into a little bug. It's nothing big but it seems new member's number of messages don't show up under their name even though it's evident that they have at least one message.
Messages Bug.jpg

It seems to come and go.

This is on Chrome in incognito mode on a Windows 10 PC.