Pokken

Gecko Tony

Forum Noob
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 17, 2016
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn up the amount of damage you need to do to phase shift? It shifts so often that my head's spinning.

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
Does anyone know if there's a way to turn up the amount of damage you need to do to phase shift? It shifts so often that my head's spinning.
As I understand it, phase shift occurring is not based on damage dealt but the moves you use. Certain moves will always cause a phase shift (like throws and, in certain cases, supers). In field phase, some moves have a phase shift property (like the last hit of a homing attack and fully charged counter attacks, but other than that it varies by character) while other moves will never cause a phase shift (usually weaker moves don't cause one). In dual phase, every move has, for lack of a better term, a "phase shift value" from I believe 1-4. As you get successful (not blocked) hits on your opponent in dual phase, these values accumulate until they reach 12 (or more), at which point you are forced back into field phase.

TLDR; No :confused:
phase shift mechanic is basically the mechanic of the game, and, in the case of dual phase, is sort of this game's version of a "burst" mechanic. It prevents you from doing super long/infinite combos (though, as evidenced by the video above, it does nothing to prevent infinite block strings...) and being able to change it would kind of break the game (in more ways than one).

This info is based on personal tests/observation, as well as key details provided by someone I was talking with over on the Pokken Arena forums. If anyone has corrections or additional info to what I've said, feel free to chime in! If you think everything I've said is a load of horse poop, well, I can't really prove you wrong (yet).

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Yeah it's what moves you use, the tutorial outright tells you how it shifts from phase to phase. I hadn't checked out all the ones for individual characters but I think it tells you which moves a character uses will shift modes too? But yeah generally it's the last move in a string of hits or like big damaging moves - some projectiles do it too like Suicune's aurora beam

I'm not entirley sure if the same moves will always switch phases regardless of the phase though? You can wail on people a lot more in dual phase without shifting phases, so I think generally to shift back into field phase it's more the last move in a combo or something that breaks out or anything that ends up sending the opponent flying too far

Gecko Tony

Forum Noob
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 17, 2016
Thanks, I hadn't realized that the phase shifting was a way to prevent too long combos. I guess I'll just have to get used to it by playing more, which will be such a hardship :p

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I'm not entirley sure if the same moves will always switch phases regardless of the phase though? You can wail on people a lot more in dual phase without shifting phases, so I think generally to shift back into field phase it's more the last move in a combo or something that breaks out or anything that ends up sending the opponent flying too far
It's both.

Gecko Tony

Forum Noob
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 17, 2016
What are you guys thinking of the story mode so far? I love the rest of the game, but the story is kind of completely dumb.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
What are you guys thinking of the story mode so far? I love the rest of the game, but the story is kind of completely dumb.
Tbh idk what I expected, but it's kinda
not there

I'm amazed at how bad the voice acting is tbh I'd figure someone as big as Gamefreak and Namco could afford to get voice actors that don't sound like interns in the NoA office being given the papers that day. I mean the advisor's voice acting is bad but not THAT bad but I didn't expect things to get waaaaaaaaay worse the second people in the campaign started talking

Idk I know the story mode's not really the main focus in a fighting game but for scrubs like me it'd add some more to the game to be able to have something to do when you just sorta want to play by yourself. Idk learning the game just by playing a bunch of VS matches seems boring, I like it when a game's got a fun single player on top of competitive multiplayer (like Splatoon does this really well - tbh I wish more of the multiplayer stuff came into play in single player like different weapon types and stuff but the single player is really really good too and definitely serves as a great way to learn how to approach traversing the terrain in the game and how to go about getting quicker on your feet aiming and stuff).

But then again I enjoyed Subspace Emissary so take that how you will (I still haven't really felt an urge to get Smash 4 on a console anyways mainly because it's lack of engaing single player content like... making Smash portable pretty much makes it perfect for me for multiplayer stuff, able to smash anywhere anytime)

Gecko Tony

Forum Noob
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 17, 2016
Honestly, even a plain arcade mode with generic win quotes would have been better than this. Not to say the story doesn't have potential, but they didn't do enough to reach that potential. I'm absolutely ready for a good fanfic set in this region, though.

I enjoyed Subspace Emissary too, so fun to play through in co-op.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I was going to change my status to "Getting called a scrub by Oreo" when I posted that but that felt a little too direct

It was basically a kirby game where you could play as like any nintendo character so I had fun with it
Haha, not calling you a scrub. I'm just confused, because like... even as a single player only experience, Subspace Emissary felt really tedious. And the story wasn't really a good pay off for it.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Subspace was okay. At the very least it was enjoyable to see The nintendo characters interact with each other, and Pit's opening cinematic was awesome.

Pokken's story just sucks, and the voice acting is literally laughable. Though from what I've heard all the VAs are all new or only had one role before, so it isn't terribly surprising.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Pokken's story just sucks, and the voice acting is literally laughable. Though from what I've heard all the VAs are all new or only had one role before, so it isn't terribly surprising.
Considering it's Namco working with Gamefreak/PokemonCompany I'd hope they coud afford to spend more than bare minimum on voice acting....
If they got paid at all
Half the story VA's sound like they just grabbed whatever unpaid intern they could find around the office

The advisor's voice acting is kinda lame but at least she's not like... utterly incompetent at it :/

It reminds me of old arcade game voice acting when they had like no budget to localize games

I mean in the end it doesn't matter much but it's still silly how bad it is

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
Bamp. Who up for some rounds sometime? I've had the game since launch, but forgot there was a thread about it here.

Braixen main here, still hanging at C5 in ranked with a 50% win rate.

lunadash

Back to the Lab again
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Outside of Rein
Bamp. Who up for some rounds sometime? I've had the game since launch, but forgot there was a thread about it here.

Braixen main here, still hanging at C5 in ranked with a 50% win rate.
If you want mirror match sure I'm up to it sometime. :)

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I wanna play but we're probably on opposite sides of the world from each other, making it difficult to have a decent match :/

Also is _everyone_ here using Braixen or something? That's 3 Braixens posting in a row.

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
I wanna play but we're probably on opposite sides of the world from each other, making it difficult to have a decent match :/

Also is _everyone_ here using Braixen or something? That's 3 Braixens posting in a row.
Braixen is real fun to play, so I wouldn't be surprised. :D

Illusion Melody

Just your everyday illusion magician
Feb 14, 2016
Braixen is real fun to play, so I wouldn't be surprised. :D
Braixen is very fun and she has a unique playing style, but I think every character does.

There is an edit button. Please use it instead of making another post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illusion Melody

Feb 14, 2016
There's no way we are getting Darkrai or Scizor. I will be shocked if we do. The Wii U version is pretty much dead right?

Illusion Melody

Feb 14, 2016
Wasn't really expecting Croagunk. He seems kinda like a joke character, but now this really makes me want this game for the switch.

SunnySideUp64

Wants to hug all the floofy things
Crowdfund Backer
Jan 21, 2017
Lol, this and Splatoon are literally the only reasons I'm interested in the WiiU. Not quite enough for me to drop the money on one, though.