Pokken

V.A.a.M.P.P

The Man that had a plan but forgot it
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Great Unknown in Texas
Well if anybody doesn't know, GameStop is already having pre-orders for Pokken, and if you pre-order there is a double sided poster of the game they will be giving you, that's a nice little gift from already getting the Mewtwo amiibo card

Invader TAK

Master of Random
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Northern Illinois
Well if anybody doesn't know, GameStop is already having pre-orders for Pokken, and if you pre-order there is a double sided poster of the game they will be giving you, that's a nice little gift from already getting the Mewtwo amiibo card
Crap, Amazon doesn't give you that. Oh well, I'd rather have the Amazon Prime 20% discount + release day delivery perks.

Kressent Rhodes

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I would have loved to be able to fight as an eeveelution. Because I'm an eevee fan at heart. But I'd also like to have seen absol since his mega form is still one of my favorites. It's kinda nice to see a quadruped combatant with Suicune and I'm hoping he'll make way for more. I'm really not much of a fighting game buff so I may fiddle around a bit before settling on one but I'm looking forward to trying out Braixen, Charizard, or Sceptile.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Does anyone know what type of controler is going to be used for this game?
Ugh I believe you can use the wii pad, a pro controller or this weird big controller specifically for it that matches the arcade

Honestly I have no clue why you'd want that over the other options tbh, it looks like a playstation 1 controller but bigger

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ugh I believe you can use the wii pad, a pro controller or this weird big controller specifically for it that matches the arcade

Honestly I have no clue why you'd want that over the other options tbh, it looks like a playstation 1 controller but bigger
Playstation 1 controllers are still the best out of the Playstation series of controllers, though...

Genow

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 8, 2016
The awful local multiplayer unless you have two TVs really ruins any desire I had to get this game.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
:p:p:p

It's the Duke 2.0 :p

Playstation 1 controllers are still the best out of the Playstation series of controllers, though...
Noooooo. DS4 best by far. Ps1 pads are good, but they don't hold a candle to their latest incarnation.

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
:p:p:p
It's the Duke 2.0 :p

Noooooo. DS4 best by far. Ps1 pads are good, but they don't hold a candle to their latest incarnation.
I'd actually agree with that if

1.) L2/R2 can be buttons, preferably switchable between trigger and button
2.) There are actually first-party wired-only DS4s <------ this is currently my #1 problem especially as an FG player. The only wired-only third-party PS4 pads don't use the normal Dualshock layout... HORI pls

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd actually agree with that if

1.) L2/R2 can be buttons, preferably switchable between trigger and button
2.) There are actually first-party wired-only DS4s <------ this is currently my #1 problem especially as an FG player. The only wired-only third-party PS4 pads don't use the normal Dualshock layout... HORI pls
But you can use it wired with a micro USB cable... Maybe it's because I'm a PC player, but I've never had issues with using my ds4 wired.

>the literal fact when people have no idea what they're talking about.

More importantly though. Just ordered this from Amazon with 4 gift vouchers, yeah bitches!
I honestly can't say I disagree with the sentiment - I don't think Pokken will do very well either. Not because I want it to do poorly, but because, other than having the Poke'mon name, the odds are stacked against it from doing well.

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
But you can use it wired with a micro USB cable... Maybe it's because I'm a PC player, but I've never had issues with using my ds4 wired..
The irony is that even when plugged to the PS4, the DS4 will still transmit inputs wirelessly. This is why you can freely plug and unplug the DS4 in the middle of playing and your inputs won't get botched at all.

It's even worse when you consider that it's perfectly wired on the PS3 and the PC, with the home button as the only limitation.

One of the US representatives during last year's ArcRevo was a pad player and got blown up partly due to his inputs lagging with all the DS4s that were present in the area at the same time.

It's a shame because the DS4 is really great to use when doing motions, especially for people who use the left analog (I use both analog and d-pad)...

lunadash

Back to the Lab again
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Outside of Rein

It's good. It's really good.
o you already got the game sweet, Nintendo give me a digital copy last week (wanna play) :)

>the literal fact when people have no idea what they're talking about.

More importantly though. Just ordered this from Amazon with 4 gift vouchers, yeah bitches!
Was talking about sales then the game itself

The game is Good and has something for everyone to enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

V.A.a.M.P.P

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Welp all the reviews so far have given this game some good grades with the minor problems being that the story is super simple and or the controls options to limiting, but im still excited to play and when it comes out we can all share codes so we can battle each other

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Got myself the HORI controller. Getting the game as soon as it's available.

And I don't even have a Wii U. I'll probably just crash at some friend's place with a Wii U or something.

Then again, it sounds like my MvC3 journey where I had vanilla MvC3, UMvC3, and 2 PS3 controllers before I even got a PS3 and now I consider myself pretty okay with the game.

V.A.a.M.P.P

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

Got myself the HORI controller. Getting the game as soon as it's available.

And I don't even have a Wii U. I'll probably just crash at some friend's place with a Wii U or something.

Then again, it sounds like my MvC3 journey where I had vanilla MvC3, UMvC3, and 2 PS3 controllers before I even got a PS3 and now I consider myself pretty okay with the game.
Funny enough, im also borrowing a friend's Wii U to play this game, and also is that controller not availble yet here in the US?

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Funny enough, im also borrowing a friend's Wii U to play this game, and also is that controller not availble yet here in the US?
I'm not sure; this is the Japanese HORI version which is what our local game stores get (I'm in the Philippines) though when it comes to games our stores here usually get the US version with around ~50% chance of also getting the Asian version, and a small chance to get some Japanese imports too. If they sell the Western release of this controller here in my country it will probably be more expensive.

Our local game store branch here also happen to sell a lot of HORI products as well. I was able to reliably get a RAP V5 as a result. (btw I'm a pad player but am using stick for 1.) 6 button fighters like Skullgirls 2.) Games that have Arcade versions) The cases for my Vita and 3DSes are HORI as well... etc.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I'm not sure; this is the Japanese HORI version which is what our local game stores get (I'm in the Philippines) though when it comes to games our stores here usually get the US version with around ~50% chance of also getting the Asian version, and a small chance to get some Japanese imports too. If they sell the Western release of this controller here in my country it will probably be more expensive.

Our local game store branch here also happen to sell a lot of HORI products as well. I was able to reliably get a RAP V5 as a result. (btw I'm a pad player but am using stick for 1.) 6 button fighters like Skullgirls 2.) Games that have Arcade versions) The cases for my Vita and 3DSes are HORI as well... etc.
Hoy Pare, Is Greenhills any good for getting HORI stuff? Can you also suggest me good places to get like Sanwa arcade stick parts and stuff like that.

OK back on topic. Is Pokken any good? Not sure if I should get it.

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
^ Despite the fame of Greenhills with gaming stuff and other hardware in general, I actually haven't been there yet, not even once. Oops.

People have actually been reviewing Pokken very positively, from what I've seen. And it's for legit reasons like the balance between complexity and depth, 1p content in fighting games (although this is kind of a bloated topic right now thanks to SF5), the fresh look for Pokemon, etc. the only negatives I've really been hearing about it is how it's not a traditional fighter.

I've yet to see reviews from big fighting game names, but I'm sure that Justin Wong is taking it with some level of seriousness at the very least.

lunadash

Back to the Lab again
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Outside of Rein
Now that this game 100% out now I can say this

I [Expletive Deleted] LOVE BRAIXEN!!!!!

Anyone up for some rounds?

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Now that this game 100% out now I can say this

I [Expletive Deleted] LOVE BRAIXEN!!!!!
She's my main too though, and judging from the pattern from all fighting games I've taken seriously... she's doomed to become low-tier in the future. RIP

In other news, I still don't have a Wii U.

Oh, and r/streetfighter and r/tekken are giving r/pokkengame their support. We actually feel pretty loved despite all the backlash we're normally getting haha

lunadash

Back to the Lab again
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Outside of Rein
She's my main too though, and judging from the pattern from all fighting games I've taken seriously... she's doomed to become low-tier in the future. RIP

In other news, I still don't have a Wii U.

Oh, and r/streetfighter and r/tekken are giving r/pokkengame their support. We actually feel pretty loved despite all the backlash we're normally getting haha

I would say she mid tier (you can do a crap tone of chip with her Super) but I think it will go down to the Skill point tree

Last edited:

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
I would say she mid tier (you can do a crap tone of chip with her Super) but I think it will go down to the Skill point tree
Just to throw this out there, the whole level/skill point system is shut off for online play, it only affects single player and local multiplayer (if you turn it on). Since tournaments are going to be played online (by which I mean LAN), and since skill points don't really do anything that can make a character that much better anyways, I doubt they will have any affect on tier lists/character viability. I think it's mostly just a "for funsies" kind of thing they added to bring in more aspects of the traditional Pokemon games.

I will say this though, Braixen at least seems better than Gardevoir (who I started with). I swear, all of her moves are slow as poo, or don't really seem to combo into anything, or have terrible range... and I can't find any useful zoning setups that aren't easily stuffed by using counter attack or counter attack cancel (not to mention most of her tools become either way worse or totally useless against an opponent in beast mode. I mean burst mode) :( I feel like every matchup is an uphill struggle for her....

Gecko Tony

Forum Noob
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 17, 2016
Me and my college floormates just spent the last three hours playing Pokken, and we're loving all of the synergy burst attacks so far. Also, some the characters (like Pikachu) seem really good for button mashing if you haven't learned the system yet.