Horror Games

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
So are there any must play horror games I should know about? I prefer atmospheric horror over just a bunch of jumpscares.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Well, if you don't like jumpscares, then I'd advise against Spooky's House of Jump Scares, which doesn't really take itself very seriously anyway, and it's free. And especially avoid FNaF, since that's just jumpscares caused by unfair RNG (Played on a friend's computer, got annoyed and rage quit, didn't bother buying it).

As far as good horror games, I've heard Amnesia is a pretty good horror game, and if you have a Gamecube, I think Eternal Darkness falls under that genre as well, just be ready to be messed around with a lot. There's also a game called the static speaks my name, which is free and I recall is a psychological game about some guy's last few hours alive. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't played it and I don't actually know if it qualifies horror or not.

Also, if you're fine with Visual/Kinetic Novels, Higurashi is available on steam, though six bucks can be a bit of a steep asking price if you're not generally into games where you literally just read your way through it with little to no actual gameplay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamerdude854

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Well, if you don't like jumpscares, then I'd advise against Spooky's House of Jump Scares, which doesn't really take itself very seriously anyway, and it's free. And especially avoid FNaF, since that's just jumpscares caused by unfair RNG (Played on a friend's computer, got annoyed and rage quit, didn't bother buying it).

As far as good horror games, I've heard Amnesia is a pretty good horror game, and if you have a Gamecube, I think Eternal Darkness falls under that genre as well, just be ready to be messed around with a lot. There's also a game called the static speaks my name, which is free and I recall is a psychological game about some guy's last few hours alive. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't played it and I don't actually know if it qualifies horror or not.

Also, if you're fine with Visual/Kinetic Novels, Higurashi is available on steam, though six bucks can be a bit of a steep asking price if you're not generally into games where you literally just read your way through it with little to no actual gameplay.
I actually just started playing Eternal Darkness yesterday, the atmosphere is excellent but it's way too easy to keep your sanity meter up high.

I also played The Static Speaks My Name, it had a nice atmosphere but it's incredibly short and not even creepy, just disturbing.

Ethaes

Vesper Iris
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
ethaes.deviantart.com
If you can get ahold of the classic Silent Hill games (1,2,&3) you shouldn't be disappointed; as long as you don't mind some disturbing content. They're ALL about atmosphere and are still on my top favourite games list.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
Id say P.T but they already took it down from PSN, however the first 2 Silent Hill games are pretty good.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
P.T. stands for Playable Teaser, and it was a demo for the Silent Hills game that was canceled a year ago.

Reactions: SubrosianDimitri

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
If you can get ahold of the classic Silent Hill games (1,2,&3) you shouldn't be disappointed; as long as you don't mind some disturbing content. They're ALL about atmosphere and are still on my top favourite games list.
I've been wanting to play these, I've heard that they are scary as hell. Although i've heard that the HD versions are terrible

Ethaes

Vesper Iris
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
ethaes.deviantart.com
I've been wanting to play these, I've heard that they are scary as hell. Although i've heard that the HD versions are terrible
Yeah, I'd steer clear of the HD re-releases if possible. They removed a lot of the fog and ambient effects, and tried to mess with the visual noise to make up for it. Probably more importantly is that they re-dubbed 2 & 3 with new voice actors, and they lose a lot of feeling in the process.

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
Does SCP Containment Breach count?
I know SCP gets a bad rep cuz lol internet creepypasta sp00ks but that fan game is super legit and super scary.
It has all the elements you'd need, and doesn't rely on jump scares.

And no, the neck snap isn't really a jump scare. Closest thing is maybe the stinger when he appears.

Efrath

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sweden
If you want good, atmospheric horror, Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 are classics that still horrifies a lot of people to this day. A huge reason that the games are good is the sound design and music. You can try listening to "My Heaven" with headphones if you like and see how long it takes until you get unnerved.

I don't know if any of them are on PC though. Alien Isolation is also a good horror game that stays very true to the movies. It can be a bit jumpscarey at times I suppose if the Alien finds you when you don't know where it is though.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I enjoyed Alien: Isolation quite a bit, despite the mixed reception it got. I also had a lot of fun with Slender: The Arrival.

Classic suggestions include Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil 1-4.

I don't know if any of them are on PC though.
Silent Hill 2 is, I know for a fact. However, the game doesn't support systems with multiple CPU cores, and it can cause the game's audio to loop endlessly. The fix is to go into task manager and assign the game to only run on one core. Silent Hill 3 also has a PC version, though I've never played it. I heard that graphically it's the best version, but there's a couple of game breaking bugs, like falling through the level geometry to your death. How frequently this happens, I'm not sure.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
Well, I woulden't classify it as a horror game, unless you're 5, but I did enjoy a game way back wen called "Gahan Wilson's The Ultimate Haunted House"
Here's a playthough in case you're interested.