Rivals of Aether

Aardvark

Armadillo?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Looks like we won't be getting much Rivals discussion round here, but if you ever want a game, I'm always up for one.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
not the only one yes my steam user is dragonrider34765 if anyone wants to play sometimes (PS haven't got my controller hocked up yet so I make a lot of misclicks so prepared to fell underwhelmed)

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
This game is insanely fun, definitely needs more discussion here.

I main Zetterburn, since I'm not that good with everyone else. I gotta admit though, Absa is one annoying SoB online. I can never win any fights against him.

Aardvark

Armadillo?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Damn straight! I love Rivals. Speaking as an absa main, I can certainly see why you might not be able to win fights against her. Her air control is fantastic, and Zetter struggles once he gets off stage.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Damn straight! I love Rivals. Speaking as an absa main, I can certainly see why you might not be able to win fights against her. Her air control is fantastic, and Zetter struggles once he gets off stage.
I honestly thought I'd struggle more against Wrastor since he always tends to stay in the air more. And while I do struggle fighting him, lately Absa has really started to take the cake. I guess I should probably learn to main one of the other characters to deal with the flying types. Maypul is probably a good candidate...

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Well, I will admit, I'm, a Kragg kinda fella.

Absa's a fun one to fight. And by fun I mean infuriating.

STOP KILLING MY PILLAR. I NEED THAT THING TO LIVE YOU KNOW.

Also: Steam name is Suntzu4

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Wrastor is my favorite character to use by far, but I also do love playing as Orcane. I have some trouble with Zetturburn, but it's nothing too major.

Absa is mad op though

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Legit, if you guys wanna beat Absa, play Kragg.

I've got a multitude of friends that play Absa and NONE of them can beat my Kragg. A pillar off stage when she's trying to recover is a death like, 99% of times.

Crazybark

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
MAYPUL 4 THE WIN!!! love this game. absa's kinda anoying sometimes but you get over it....WITH SPEEEEEEEEED!....sorry kragg

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
Patch recently came out. How's everyone finding it?
I'm having far more fun with the bear than is legal.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I'm really loving the Tower of Heaven stage. That's my favourite thing in the update by far (and the gameboy color palette)!

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
I'm really loving the Tower of Heaven stage. That's my favourite thing in the update by far (and the gameboy color palette)!
My favorite bit is still bear.
For a long time, I was planning on maining Absa because she had a lot of elements from Smash Bros Mewtwo.
Then I found out that they went with a bear for the final character and that became all I wanted.
Now that he's actually out, I gotta say
Bear is far better than I could have hoped.

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I remember seeing this game on YouTube a while ago.
And also more recently, with a goat. And a bear.

So, uh, it's Smashy, yeah? I like Smash, and this looks like a rather fun Smash-esque game, but...
I have a few questions before I decide whether or not to pick it up.

First, are there grabs? I haven't seen any, but I could've just not seen it.

Also, can you grab the ledge? I haven't seen this either, and it seems easy enough to recover without grabbing a ledge, but I'd still like to know.

Also, how exactly does Forsburn's clone work? I remember hearing Ice Climbers, so I figured he'd have crazy combos, but apparently he can't do that any more, so what is it exactly?

Finally, regarding Maypul. How does she recover? I can grasp everyone else's recovery, even Orcane's weirdness (probably because I played Super Smash Land), but how does Maypul make it back onto the stage? I only ask because she looks fun, and she has something interesting with that tether thing, but I want to know if she turns into Little Mac when I take her offstage.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I have a few questions before I decide whether or not to pick it up.

First, are there grabs? I haven't seen any, but I could've just not seen it.
No. There's also no shielding, so grabs aren't necessary. Instead of shielding, you get a parry that replaces your spot dodge. Parrying moves increases immobilizes your enemy, with the duration determined by the strength of their attack. Parries also reflect projectiles.

Also, can you grab the ledge? I haven't seen this either, and it seems easy enough to recover without grabbing a ledge, but I'd still like to know.
No, but every character has wall jumps, and you don't enter free-fall after air dodging. So you can air dodge into a wall, wall jump off, then air dodge again to recover.

Also, how exactly does Forsburn's clone work? I remember hearing Ice Climbers, so I figured he'd have crazy combos, but apparently he can't do that any more, so what is it exactly?
This changes nearly every patch. They're currently trying to find a niche for the clone to fill, while also trying to balance it between usefulness and being too good.

Finally, regarding Maypul. How does she recover? I can grasp everyone else's recovery, even Orcane's weirdness (probably because I played Super Smash Land), but how does Maypul make it back onto the stage? I only ask because she looks fun, and she has something interesting with that tether thing, but I want to know if she turns into Little Mac when I take her offstage.
When she has someone marked (either done by her projectile or her side special), her up special can be held down and she will teleport to her enemy. Without the mark applied, her up special still goes straight up, her side special has pretty good horizontal distance, she can cling to the wall as opposed to just jumping off of it, and her up air can be done while double jumping to boost her jump height.

Reactions: ILikeKirbys

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
No. There's also no shielding, so grabs aren't necessary. Instead of shielding, you get a parry that replaces your spot dodge. Parrying moves increases immobilizes your enemy, with the duration determined by the strength of their attack. Parries also reflect projectiles.
...Huh. That'll take some getting used to.
I like the sound of parries tho, especially if they're reflectors too. Can you parry in midair?

No, but every character has wall jumps, and you don't enter free-fall after air dodging. So you can air dodge into a wall, wall jump off, then air dodge again to recover.
I think I understand.
But that leads to a new, less important question: If you have directional airdodges, can you wavedash? Or do something like a wavedash?

This changes nearly every patch. They're currently trying to find a niche for the clone to fill, while also trying to balance it between usefulness and being too good.
No wonder I couldn't grasp it, it keeps changing. Hopefully it ends up balanced.

When she has someone marked (either done by her projectile or her side special), her up special can be held down and she will teleport to her enemy. Without the mark applied, her up special still goes straight up, her side special has pretty good horizontal distance, she can cling to the wall as opposed to just jumping off of it, and her up air can be done while double jumping to boost her jump height.
Ah, I think I see. That's far better than I feared. I'm gonna like Maypul, I can tell.

Thank you, mate. That took care of my few reservations. I'll probably pick this up some time this week... If my PC can handle it (it was a bit prone to overheating back in college, but I think I found something I can do about that).

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
...Huh. That'll take some getting used to.
I like the sound of parries tho, especially if they're reflectors too. Can you parry in midair?
Nope. You can only dodge in the air.

If you have directional airdodges, can you wavedash? Or do something like a wavedash?
Wavedashing is in the game and it's much simpler to do than in Melee. Wavedashing, wave landing, all of that is in. The game feels very Melee-like.

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
Nope. You can only dodge in the air.
Ah, I suppose that makes sense.

Wavedashing is in the game and it's much simpler to do than in Melee. Wavedashing, wave landing, all of that is in. The game feels very Melee-like.
Sounds nice. I don't think I was very good at wavedashing in Melee (I kinda had it down, but I don't know for certain), but if it's easier here, I might finally be able to grasp these things.
I knew I was getting a Melee vibe from this game for a reason. I'm gonna love it.

Thanks again.

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
Rivals of Aether is totally a blast, I'll tell you that right now. In casual fun, it's maybe like a poor man's Smash...for now, at least. But this game is geared towards competitive players, especially in Early Access. I guess you could say it's kind of like what SFV is doing, but labeling it in a more obvious way.
So now that the brief (fangasm? praising? hyping? whatever that was) is over, the real reason I came here. I made several (two) crossover movesets for RoA characters if they were to make a guest appearance in TFH, and I'd like to know if this is the right place to post or otherwise share them.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Rivals of Aether is totally a blast, I'll tell you that right now. In casual fun, it's maybe like a poor man's Smash...for now, at least. But this game is geared towards competitive players, especially in Early Access. I guess you could say it's kind of like what SFV is doing, but labeling it in a more obvious way.
So now that the brief (fangasm? praising? hyping? whatever that was) is over, the real reason I came here. I made several (two) crossover movesets for RoA characters if they were to make a guest appearance in TFH, and I'd like to know if this is the right place to post or otherwise share them.
That IS a good question. Perhaps one of the mods might have an opinion about that. Never hurts to ask, yes? Though I think technically that would be more appropriate as a separate thread in the Fan Creations area.

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
That IS a good question. Perhaps one of the mods might have an opinion about that. Never hurts to ask, yes? Though I think technically that would be more appropriate as a separate thread in the Fan Creations area.
Good point. I want to say "until further notice, I'll just put it here" but I'm not sure what would happen if I'm wrong.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
Good point. I want to say "until further notice, I'll just put it here" but I'm not sure what would happen if I'm wrong.
I'm gonna say that if you wanna post things like that, it should probably go in the Fan Creations forum. However, since it's a derivative of two different games, there's no guarantee everyone will understand what you're talking about.

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
In any case...most of the RoA conversation seems to be held on the official Reddit, despite there being a functional forum dedicated to the game itself. Really, the question is...what is there to talk about here? Or is it just for those who are fans of both games?

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
In any case...most of the RoA conversation seems to be held on the official Reddit, despite there being a functional forum dedicated to the game itself. Really, the question is...what is there to talk about here? Or is it just for those who are fans of both games?
I figured that there would be a few fans here who'd like to know about each other and play with one another, so I started the thread with the idea of giving resident RoA fans a chance to mingle and discuss stuff and things and fanout about it.

NiGHTcapD

Fierce Rival
Mar 17, 2016
So...back on topic. Rivals of Aether, everyone's mains. Go!

I mained Wrastor back before Absa was out, now I main Absa. In both, I sub Kragg, but I don't play him nearly as often as the Air character, though I did play him more often during the Wrastor time period.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
So, it's basically Animal Smash Bros?
Forgive my ignorance. All I'm capable of seeing right now is the .gifs on their official website.

Game looks interesting, though. I'll probably look into it.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Huh, Rivals of Aether? I've seen the name, but nothing els...... Holy crow is that a friggin 4 legged orca? I am so picking this up.
So, it's basically Animal Smash Bros?
Forgive my ignorance. All I'm capable of seeing right now is the .gifs on their official website.

Game looks interesting, though. I'll probably look into it.
It's good stuff. Pick it up for sure.

Specifically, Animal Melee. Which, to be fair, isn't that different from Melee.

This pic is amazing.