Skullgirls

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Woah hey. I recognize some of the names in here from random quick matches. I seem to have conveniently forgotten which of you were the ones that kept me trapped in the corner until death though. Very convenient.

Also Muro, and his infinite helpfulness.
Hey, I remember you from the fighting is magic chat. :)
I think...

MidwestB

Jack-of-many-trades, master of none
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Minnesota
So I've been playing SG for about a week now, and am looking at the shoryuken wiki on the characters (like Filia here) and was wondering if someone could explain the number values they use for the attacks. Damage is pretty obvious, and the others seem to be the number of frames each section lasts (they're also described in the glossary), but I don't know about the "On Hit" and "On Block" parts. Some of them have negative values, so maybe they're added to the recovery or something.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So, my normal team is BigBand/Beowulf/Fukua, but I've been learning Squiggly to maybe replace Beowulf. She seems really hard for minimal rewards, her combos are unnecessarily complicated with the whole hard/easy Seria Cancel deal, and her damage output and usability of her supers seem minimal other than using Battle Opera for hard tag combos. BUT SHE'S SO FLASHY I NEED TO PLAY HER. Any tips on making the character either simpler overall for the damage she does, some sort of BnB combo rather than the whole ground combo launcher j.lp j.mk j.hp j.lk j.mk j.hp divekick into ground combo? Seria Cancelling is hard but I can learn it with some time.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Played this for the first time ever a couple nights ago, and I absolutely adore it. Some of the stories are really sad, though.

I really enjoy playing as Ms. Fortune (her Mami coloration is amazing), but I haven't quite figured out all her combos. Using her head to catch my opponent off guard is great, and the puns are absolutely amazing.
I also enjoy Robo Fortune, although not as much as Ms. Fortune.

Reactions: Armageddon11

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I also enjoy Robo Fortune, although not as much as Ms. Fortune.
Yeah, but for the people who were playing the game when it came out, Robo Fortune was like a whole new Ms. Fortune. Or at least another humor character.
I love it when you are hitting her and she says "Ctrl-Z". I also love all of the character specific stuff that revolves around her.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that she is better if you didn't have her to start with.

Sunset Radiance

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 12, 2016
So, my normal team is BigBand/Beowulf/Fukua, but I've been learning Squiggly to maybe replace Beowulf. She seems really hard for minimal rewards, her combos are unnecessarily complicated with the whole hard/easy Seria Cancel deal, and her damage output and usability of her supers seem minimal other than using Battle Opera for hard tag combos. BUT SHE'S SO FLASHY I NEED TO PLAY HER. Any tips on making the character either simpler overall for the damage she does, some sort of BnB combo rather than the whole ground combo launcher j.lp j.mk j.hp j.lk j.mk j.hp divekick into ground combo? Seria Cancelling is hard but I can learn it with some time.
Ms. Fortune is my favorite character! Her combos are the most fun to pull off in the headless state, especially when you trap the opponent in the corner... Truly awesome. XD

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Hey people, I know this is a little bit off, but what controller do you recommend for the game? I got Skullgirls a while ago, but never really played citing the lack of periphery. Is the Steam controller good for it, or the buttons are too far to be confortable and I should look for something else? (I have long fingers though)

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Hey people, I know this is a little bit off, but what controller do you recommend for the game? I got Skullgirls a while ago, but never really played citing the lack of periphery. Is the Steam controller good for it, or the buttons are too far to be confortable and I should look for something else? (I have long fingers though)
I don't know if this is a great suggestion, but I use a Logitech WingMan controller because it has 6 buttons and isn't outrageously priced.
WINGMAN RUMBLEPAD WIRED CONTROLLER USB
Just an example.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I don't know if this is a great suggestion, but I use a Logitech WingMan controller because it has 6 buttons and isn't outrageously priced.
WINGMAN RUMBLEPAD WIRED CONTROLLER USB
Just an example.
Shipping would be 40 dollars here:D:D Looks good though. For how long did you have it? Can it survive loooong sessions of button-mashing?
Edit: Nevermind, not even Logitech sells it here.

Last edited:

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Shipping would be 40 dollars here:D:D Looks good though. For how long did you have it? Can it survive loooong sessions of button-mashing?
Edit: Nevermind, not even Logitech sells it here.
Mine has lasted me a very long time and the buttons are fairly strong, I did lose the caps that go on the joysticks.
but that isn't a real problem, the metal rods doesn't hurt me because I play the bass guitar.

Sunset Radiance

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 12, 2016
I use an Xbox 360 Controller, and it's been great! I have a Hori RAP 3 which is great, though I need to sell it off. It's a great first fight stick, and I hear it's easy to mod.

MidwestB

Jack-of-many-trades, master of none
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Minnesota
The "On Hit" and "On Block" sections (and in general the numbers found around them) are indeed frame data, and in particular frame advantage. They're referring to how many frames that either you or the opponent have to react before the other can also react. If it's a positive value, you have that many frames to work with following the end of your move before the opponent can do anything. If it's negative, the opponent has that many frames to work with following the end of your move before you can do anything else.

This is most typically important for "On Block" scenarios, as it tells the attacker exactly what is safe and what is unsafe on block. Any negative value that is enough frames for the opponent character to successfully land one of their moves (based on the start-up frames of the move they choose) before you can even block again means the move you attacked with is unsafe on block, and vice-versa. For "On Hit" scenarios, things are a bit different since many normals cancel into higher strength normals automatically on hit or block, but become more important once you reach high strength normals or specials that can't automatically be cancelled. Understanding "On Hit" frame advantage for those moves allows you to understand what moves will and won't link your combos together outside of "magic series" normal attack chains.

You can also see these values in Training mode when you turn on "Attack Data," I believe. They will show up as numbers in the bottom middle of the screen.

Thank you for the info, Songhacker; things are starting to make more sense. My problem now is I went through all the tutorials and played through the characters' stories and arcades on normal and have now tried them on hard and realized my 'combos' are really just button mashing. Is there a way to determine attacks that chain as combos? Is it possible to use the frame data and do some math to see what can work and what won't? I'd rather not just look up the combos others have found, and am wondering if there's a better way than going into the training room and experimenting to see what works.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I think that if you want to make your own combo, then playing it through in the training room is the best way to go about it. I did it that way because then I would know if I could pull it off easily, from a personal ability stand point.

fenster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd rather not just look up the combos others have found, and am wondering if there's a better way than going into the training room and experimenting to see what works.
First off, this is a bad mindset to have. Skullgirls is a very combo heavy game, and learning the game necessitates being able to eventually have the ability to break down a combo when you hear it/see it from other people. You won't get any points for being original, especially when you start off early on, and double especially so since the game isn't "new" any more to the community so there isn't a lot of original stuff left anymore that we haven't found.

Beyond that, the answer is kind of but mostly there is no better way. Every character has a completely different moveset which all work differently for their combos, be it because their normals have special properties (Big band jHK and cHP, Cerebella jMP and sMP and jLP, Robo Fortune jHP, Parasoul jHP, Ms Fortune jHK) or because their special moves make their combos completely different (Painwheel, Valentine for some routes). Once you know how the character operates and "behaves", yes you could just think of a combo outside the game and apply it, but you won't be able to know that until you just try the character in training mode.

The last thing I wanted to point out is "going into training mode and experimenting to see what works", as you said it here, sounded like a negative, but you should note that it's extremely crucial for fighting games at every level of player. Training mode is often one of the things many players spend the most time in just because experimenting and discovery is crucial to playing fighting games. You can technically experiment just the same in matches, but usually that ends up being much more frustrating and takes a lot longer than just doing things in training mode. If you're gonna play a fighting game, you have to love training mode.

Fizzxwizz

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
As someone who spent around two+ years playing sg at an intermediate level doing basic stuff like magic series into super, you can get pretty far with just that so long as you actually have a grasp on how everything works. Will this be useful in higher level play? No, but it will be serviceable for anything below it as you're going to be sacrificing a pretty significant amount of damage and potential damage. Needing 5 or so touches to kill instead of two or three makes a significant difference. Overall I would highly recommend learning actual combos. BnB videos or other combos aren't completely necessary, but they can help you gauge what kinds of things you could incorporate or shoot for.

Whether or not you make a combo yourself is very important. The only time someone is going to care where you got it from is mostly just if you take someone else's thing and call it your own.

Its super important to be able to figure out stuff in training mode. Skullgirls has an amazing training mode and not putting use to it is kinda a waste. Also fenster is right, if you choose to only experiment and learn stuff in matches, its going to take a while. This is what I've done and its taken a while for stuff to work.

there isn't a lot of original stuff left anymore that we haven't found.
I strongly disagree.

If you're gonna play a fighting game, you have to love training mode.
I additionally disagree with this as well.

fenster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I strongly disagree.
Well, to start off, I wasn't talking about things like resets or setups, just purely BnBs. I'd agree that there is tons of room still for any sort of wacky thing for everyone.

FWIW, I was mostly going off of my best characters (Parasoul, BB, Robo, Eliza), where I feel like most combo routes in terms of practical stuff for matches is already out there even if not everyone is fully utilizing everything yet. BB's aren't taking full advantage of sound stun quite yet, Parasoul's aren't fully utilizing combo routes with detonations as far as it can yet, but the routes themselves for this stuff we kind of know now.

There are definitely a bunch of characters, mostly Ms. Fortune and Squigly and Beo I feel, that still have tons of room to explore that could all be practical. But for like, someone playing Filia/Bella? There isn't going to be a lot that's new that pushes them even further unless you start using stuff like MGR/kanchou assist where those are just drastically different to use.

I additionally disagree with this as well.
Well, like I said in my own statement, not everyone does. Hell, I'm not like that either, since most of the time I experiment and try stuff out in matches before training mode at all. But I do feel a lot like that's a minority opinion/approach and ideally you'd have a balance between training mode/matches. I was just offering advice since I personally feel it'd be less frustrating.

Reactions: Fizzxwizz

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
Kinda late, but since no one's answered this yet... The main thing you want to be concerned about with Squiggly is charging her stances. All of her ground special moves become generally way more useful once charged, particularly Center Stage (qcf.mp), and it has the added bonus of making her stance cancel combos waaaaaaay easier to do (In fact, I wouldn't really bother trying to learn her combos charge-less, unless you're really committed to using her. I don't think it's necessary.). A good game plan with her is to try to keep your distance until you get at least one stance fully charged (I usually go for punch version first). You can also get a full charge if you land her qcf.lp, throw, or the HK divekick. Since you're using Big Band, you can also get a charge off of his A Train grab move (or whatever it's called, I don't play BB >_>), if you set that as an assist.

As far as her supers go, both battle opera and Daisy Pusher (the throw one) are really useful for punishing when used in conjunction with a charged Center Stage (this is why I often go for charging punches first). You just have to be really confident in knowing which version you need to use depending on where the opponent is on the screen.

In general though... Squiggly is kind of an awkward character. Not someone you can just pick up and play really easily. Her combos are a bit strange (especially compared to someone like Fukua...), but if you want a slightly easier "BnB" to mess around with... Try: ground combo->Launcher->j.lk, j.mk, j.hk->m.divekick->ground combo ending with s.hp->silver chord (qcf.mk, doesn't need to be charged)->Daisy Pusher (qcb.throw). That has a basic outline of what her main combos stem from, but you don't have to worry about the odd air juggling bit. If you want an even simpler one, try: ground combo->Launcher->j.lk, j.mk, j.hk->h.divekick->SBO (use the qcb.mk+hk version, it can be tricky to time this at first, you have to wait for Squiggly to recover, and also keep in mind that h.divekick sends the opponent behind you, so the input for the super will be opposite from the direction you started the combo in... if that makes sense). Note that for that last combo, you can simply opt to not do SBO and instead get a stance charge.

Hope that's useful! Also, just as a random thing, you might consider (if you're still messing with the same team) switching Big Band and Fukua. I'd say Big Band generally works better as an anchor than a point character, and Fukua would probably be better on point. But... not really that big of a deal.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Can we just take a moment to admire the beauty and majesty that is Beowulf?
*Moment*
Alright. Thank you.

TigerKirby215

Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
The Hurting is love!!
Man, I sound like a masochist
"I'm 287 pounds of Folded Steel and Sex Appeal!"

On a quick tangent: I remember talking to a friend who doesn't play Skullgirls about Beowulf in Skullgirls, and he commented on how well done the adaptation is from the epic to the in-game story.
And I have to agree. The story stays close to the original, while being different enough to offer that unique "Skullgirls flare".

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hasn't it been on steam for like, a long time now?
I just found out about it, came out earlier today for me. No one posted about it, so I assumed no one knew... sorry. There was a tweet and everything...

crispyruffles

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just found out about it, came out earlier today for me. No one posted about it, so I assumed no one knew... sorry. There was a tweet and everything...
Oh, I didn't know it wasn't out in some places. Well, enjoy 2nd encore, I sure have. :)

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh, I didn't know it wasn't out in some places. Well, enjoy 2nd encore, I sure have. :)
You're misunderstanding, I think; the newest DLC is all of the extra content from the PSV/PS4 versions of the game, like a fully voiced storymode, which hasn't been released on Steam until now AFAIK.

crispyruffles

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You're misunderstanding, I think; the newest DLC is all of the extra content from the PSV/PS4 versions of the game, like a fully voiced storymode, which hasn't been released on Steam until now AFAIK.
Oh! Cool, I was wondering why there were voices in youtube videos. :) Definitely be checking this out later.

TigerKirby215

Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
I'm a little annoyed that you need to pay this much even if you have the characters. :(
But I got them all for free so :p

Will probably end up buying it for the YouTube kekz.

TigerKirby215

Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Random thought that came to my head:

I like Beowulf because he...
  • Lets me beat up schoolgirls as a strong middle-aged man who drinks.
  • Lets me arm wrestle orphans who are forced to entertain the mafia.
  • Lets me throw little girls with mental issues onto metal folding chairs, breaking all their previously-broken-by-the-slave-trade bones.
  • Lets me kill the leader of the nation for shits and giggles.
  • Lets me beat up a dead cat until it's nothing but a pile of body-parts.
  • Lets me judge a tormented orphan girl based on her looks.
  • Lets me grapple women with big breasts.
  • Teaches me that I should fight off Lovecraftian Horrors instead of... calling the police.
  • Lets me grapple dead women and stick their faces in my crotch.
  • Lets me grab big men by the coat and knee them in the balls.
  • Lets me beat up schoolgirls as a... wait I already said this.
  • Lets me relive the Justin Beiber experience, only with a female singer and a folding chair instead of a water bottle.
  • Lets me realize that wrestling is fake and one-sided.
  • Lets me beat up a lifeless robot until it's nothing but a pile of spare-parts.
Beowulf is a true role model for this generation.

crispyruffles

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
YO!!! I know many have already beaten nightmare Marie, but I just FINALLY!!! Beat her!! Oh man, it felt SOOOOOO GOOD!! XD

crispyruffles

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I finally got the game, and wow why did I wait so long? its loads of fun!
Fan service maybe? I know that's what prevented me from getting it for the longest time.
Careful, it can be addictive. ;)
Seriously though, the better you get, the more it gets you.

dragonos451 went ahead and gave birth to a new crisp CMV. Some of you just might recognise the first track, too.

Hey, is that run stop canceling thing still doable? Since I've been trying to do it, but can't seem to get it right.

Moderator edit: Please don't multi-post.

Last edited by a moderator:

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
Ey I'm not super great at it but I love skullgirls. Ms. Fortune was my first main, and I've since picked up the two skullbois.

dragonos451 went ahead and gave birth to a new crisp CMV. Some of you just might recognise the first track, too.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
Hey, is that run stop canceling thing still doable? Since I've been trying to do it, but can't seem to get it right.
Nothing changed in Skullgirls that would affect that combo since, it's still perfectly doable.

For a more elaborate response though, I prompted dragonos about it and he told me as follows:
dragonos451: first, it only works on peacock
dragonos451: literally only her
dragonos451: second, you need to use the input buffer on normal chains to input the titan knuckle and start charging as soon as possible
dragonos451: (if done correctly, you start charging before titan knuckle even starts)
dragonos451: that is not exactly enough, you need to wait for almost the end of titan knuckle's hitstop to input forward + KK
dragonos451: also, you need to input the run stop with MK+LK or HK+LK
dragonos451: one frame shorter run stop than if you input with LP
dragonos451: I could add "very short delay necessary between jLK and jHK to allow dynamo to combo"
Out of curiosity, why are you attempting to recreate this considerably impractical combo?

Draconic Breath

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Love me some Skullgirls. Ms. Fortune, Double, and Squigly are generally on my top wai...erm...playable characters list.

I do wish that they added in other characters like Black Dahlia and Roxie. Would have been really neat to play them.