Zootopia

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
I watched this movie a couple weeks ago (as it was released here earlier than US) and I absolutely loved it, I think it is my favorite animated movie from Disney, a title that was held by Big Hero 6, I especially love the fact that it is much more than the typical cutesy film and it has a very deep message.

I like how Disney went out of its confort zone to address some very deep themes like racism, sexism, prejudice, friendhip and to persevere despite everyone telling you you should abandon your dreams because they are impossible to achieve.

And the theme is all the more relevant with the current state politics are on this day and age.

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Ummmmmm. Care to elaborate for the uninitiated? Just a talk about thread?
Zootopia is a movie put out by Disney that's all about animals living in a huge city. Well, it's a bit more then that, but this thread is for those who have seen the movie who want to talk about it.

Also, trailer if you haven't seen it:

I watched this movie a couple weeks ago (as it was released here earlier than US) and I absolutely loved it, I think it is my favorite animated movie from Disney, a title that was held by Big Hero 6, I especially love the fact that it is much more than the typical cutesy film and it has a very deep message.

I like how Disney went out of its confort zone to address some very deep themes like racism, sexism, prejudice, friendhip and to persevere despite everyone telling you you should abandon your dreams because they are impossible to achieve.

And the theme is all the more relevant with the current state politics are on this day and age.
I too was rather impressed with it. I saw it last night, and I had to admit, it was better then I had expected. Granted, this will give rise to a new generation of furries, but hey, such is life.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Oh hey, I saw this movie just today! Bunny Cop ftw! ^^
Though, I'm curious how exactly one is supposed to fight off heartless using blueberry guns.

Reactions: Super jorsour64

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Oh hey, I saw this movie just today! Bunny Cop ftw! ^^
Though, I'm curious how exactly one is supposed to fight off heartless using blueberry guns.
You know what amazed me about her? The attention to detail. You can almost count each hair on her head.

It's the other way around.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The attention to detail throughout the movie is stunning, really. ^^

I thought the city itself was particularly epic, what with all the different climate-controlled districts. Added a certain adventure aspect we wouldn't have had with a human-built city.

Other way around? You mean the blueberry guns are fighting off heartless using you? o_O

...*rereads own post*... Hold on a sec. Let me try rephrasing my sentence a bit...

"Though, I'm curious how exactly one is supposed to use blueberry guns to effectively fight off heartless."

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The attention to detail throughout the movie is stunning, really. ^^

I thought the city itself was particularly epic, what with all the different climate-controlled districts. Added a certain adventure aspect we wouldn't have had with a human-built city.

Other way around? You mean the blueberry guns are fighting off heartless using you? o_O

...*rereads own post*... Hold on a sec. Let me try rephrasing my sentence a bit...

"Though, I'm curious how exactly one is supposed to use blueberry guns to effectively fight off heartless."
It's true. I'll be honest, the cg was half the reason I saw the movie. And it didn't disappoint.

No, I mean say the villain alters the formula for those little balls to create heartless upon impact, or to eventually change into heartless after getting hit.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
...OH! *facepalm* I misread your other post. >_<

When you said, "the movie provided the perfect way of so doing," you meant, "the perfect way of working it into Kingdom Hearts," not "the perfect way to fight off the heartless."

+10 Derp points!

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Only thing that bugged me about it was the start seemed a tad rushed with the transition into cophood. And although I don't know how to use that spoiler thing, I can say that there were no monkeys, apes, pandas, birds, snakes or reptiles...unless they were way in the background and I couldn't spot them outright. Other than that, it was a pretty neat if not confusing movie.

ATV

Settle it in Smash!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Huh. I thought there would be more Zootopia discussion here, considering how both TFH and Zootopia deal with how predators and prey can/can't coexist peacefully.

I like to imagine that TFH's story could be a sort of prequel to Zootopia. What if Foenum finds a way for the predators to not have to eat our ungulates, thus paving the way for the "evolution" that brings about the setting of Zootopia?

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
You mean like tofu burgers or vegan steaks? And of course they can 'co-exist', all they have to do is give the predators a meal worth their time given the hunger requires chasing and fear.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
I agree that the intro was a little rushed, and they did not really explain what the "predators" ate now that they don't hunt prey

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
You mean like tofu burgers or vegan steaks? And of course they can 'co-exist', all they have to do is give the predators a meal worth their time given the hunger requires chasing and fear.
Well, it is a kid's movie, and I imagine that the lore of the world kinda took a back seat during the process of the movie being made. That said, I suppose it would have been nice to see what they chowed down on.

And I found the idea of otters being predators really quite odd. I mean, sure, they are, but...

Huh. I thought there would be more Zootopia discussion here, considering how both TFH and Zootopia deal with how predators and prey can/can't coexist peacefully.

I like to imagine that TFH's story could be a sort of prequel to Zootopia. What if Foenum finds a way for the predators to not have to eat our ungulates, thus paving the way for the "evolution" that brings about the setting of Zootopia?
What a nifty idea. Perhaps it's time for some good 'ol crossover fanfiction...

Only thing that bugged me about it was the start seemed a tad rushed with the transition into cophood...
I agree that the intro was a little rushed...
It was a bit quick, but given how much ground the story had to cover, I'd guess they felt it was necessary so they could get to the main meat of the plot.

And although I don't know how to use that spoiler thing...
To do the spoiler thing, do this:
["spoiler]insert text here[ /spoiler"]
Just remove the quotation marks. And, if you're afraid of dong it wrong in a post, don't forget one can preview a post to see how it will look before posting. If you don't know how, do the following (or if you do, just ignore me :p):
Just below the bottom of the text box, to the right of the Post Reply button, push the More Options button. Then just below the bottom of the box that pops up, simply push Preview. A box will open on the screen that will show you what your post will look like including any fancy
whatever the spoiler thing is technically called.

Last edited:

Discord Sparkle

Witch of Doom
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hope's Peak Academy
So if they were pokemon, what do you think they'd be? Judy would make a nice Lopunny, but Delphox and Ninetales are too feminine for Nick, so I think he could be a Zoroark.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I can say that there were no monkeys, apes, pandas, birds, snakes or reptiles...unless they were way in the background and I couldn't spot them outright.
[...]they did not really explain what the "predators" ate now that they don't hunt prey
The sapient population did indeed consist entirely of mammals, as far as I could see. If other animals, such as chicken or fish, remained non-sapient, then perhaps it's safe to assume they're fair game for the predators.
...Then again, we very clearly see a fox eating blueberries late in the movie, so I dunno. ¯\_o_O_/¯

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
The sapient population did indeed consist entirely of mammals, as far as I could see. If other animals, such as chicken or fish, remained non-sapient, then perhaps it's safe to assume they're fair game for the predators.
...Then again, we very clearly see a fox eating blueberries late in the movie, so I dunno. ¯\_o_O_/¯
Well, that might be because they figured the audience would connect better with mammals rather then fish and/or reptiles. I mean, near as I can tell, most furries people who like anthropomorphic characters seem to prefer mammals over reptiles

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Still doesn't explain why there weren't any non-mammals at least somewhere. I can't imagine that the movie would have been any less enjoyable for ANY audience if they had just slipped some alligators or pelicans into the background. And besides, even with all mammals, not all of the speaking roles in the movie were given to what might be considered "attractive" species (elephants, voles, sloths...).
(...and ESPECIALLY not what's-his-name at the naturalist club)

V.A.a.M.P.P

The Man that had a plan but forgot it
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Great Unknown in Texas
I just got out from seeing this movie and avoided this topic like the plegue, but man was this just a great film, Disney did such a good job, the characters were all enjoyable, the settings are amazing, the story was nice and the morals we're the icing on the cake. Would recommend 9/10

yeah my favorite parts of the movie was when judy was telling the multiplying joke, the bootleg movies and any time clawhouser was on screen, also when bellwether said fear always wins I just thought of trump.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I just got out from seeing this movie and avoided this topic like the plegue, but man was this just a great film, Disney did such a good job, the characters were all enjoyable, the settings are amazing, the story was nice and the morals we're the icing on the cake. Would recommend 9/10

yeah my favorite parts of the movie was when judy was telling the multiplying joke, the bootleg movies and any time clawhouser was on screen, also when bellwether said fear always wins I just thought of trump.
It's a great film, an't it? Good stuff. And I thought the moral of the story hit home pretty freaking well too.

And I REALLY liked the effect of those little blue balls and how it was something conceptually more horrifying then assassinations, imo

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I really appreciated how they made sure to point out that the occasional mess up/view didn't make that person evil or all what they're about. Y'know like how opposing sides of a conflict tend to demonize the other instead of trying to understand/respectfully persuade. (is this a spoiler? I tried to be vague)

ATV

Settle it in Smash!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If other animals, such as chicken or fish, remained non-sapient, then perhaps it's safe to assume they're fair game for the predators.
I watched the movie again, and I saw at least one place where one could buy fish. So it looks like fish stayed non-sapient and are a food source for predators.

Still doesn't explain why there weren't any non-mammals at least somewhere.
Maybe they wanted to keep to a theme? Kind of like how TFH has hooved animals only, they could have decided to just have mammals in this world.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I saw the movie for the 4th time tonight. I'm one of those people that if they love a movie, they become obsessed with it. It happened to me with Guardians of the Galaxy back in the summer of 2014, and it's happened to me again with Zootopia. There is literally not a single frame of this movie that I do not adore.

Only thing that bugged me about it was the start seemed a tad rushed with the transition into cophood.
There's plenty of movies about the struggle of having a dream and achieving it. The movie almost always ends once they achieve their goal. This movie changes that up a bit by implying that just because you reach your goal, you're not guaranteed to be happy with how it plays out afterwards, and you may have to keep working. It's a theme that's mirrored in the lyrics of the Shakira song.

With how bad unemployment rates are for young college graduates, it's definitely poignant in this day and age.

I'm honestly kinda glad they didn't spend much time with it. If I wanted to see unlikely police recruits struggle with training and eventually succeed, I could just go watch Police Academy.

they did not really explain what the "predators" ate now that they don't hunt prey
Still doesn't explain why there weren't any non-mammals at least somewhere.

These answers were given by Byron Howard, Co-Director and Supervising Animator.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Alligators seem like pretty "clear predators" to me. :/ I wonder if I can find some elaboration on this somewhere...

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Hence, "another." :)

On an unrelated note, as someone (somewhat) familiar with Zach King, this made me do a double-take:

Reactions: Oreo

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
****MAJOR SPOILERS****
****MAJOR FANGIRLING****

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sheep aren't evil! And did you SEE that pompadour!?!? SO CUTE!! I LOVED this movie. Yeah, it had a plot and stuff, but DID YOU SEE THAT POMPADOUR!!!??!!! I'm sorry, but Bellwether is just too totes adorbes, ahhhhhhh, or should I say Baaaaaaa! Fangirling aside, I really did love the movie, mostly, of course, because of Bellwether, but also, the racism issue others have mentioned in here, man, THAT was some heavy stuff to get into for a kids movie. I also found it funny that they did a Godfather bit. And don't even get me STARTED on the ending!

Moderator's Note: Your attempt to tag spoilers is appreciated. Be sure to use [Spoiler ] [/spoiler ] tags in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super jorsour64

gotta him em' with dat Hogwa$h
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
I saw it last Friday and really liked it!. The animation and story was really great with some parts looking very photo realistic to me (the rain forest section in particular, especially when raining).

I wonder if people will compare TFH to Zootopia.
I know right? guess I'm not the only one that kept thinking of it during the movie

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
I liked this movie a bunch. However...

The reason the lack of birds and reptiles bothered me is because this film is a deconstruction of other funny animal films like Robin Hood, Cats Don't Dance, and Kung Fu Panda. Those films had plenty of bird and reptile characters, and excluding them makes this film feel unfaithful. Imagine a Star Wars parody that excluded Darth Vader, for instance.

In fact, even though I liked the predator/prey relationship, I feel the anti-racism message could've been just as strong, if not stronger, if birds and reptiles were included.

Here's a neat drawing by squeedgemonster that interprets what reptiles would look like in Zootopia.

Also, for you guys surprised about Mr. Otterton going savage, otters can be surprisingly vicious in real life. Go look it up online.