List of Livestream Lore/Gameplay Bits

CrystalBlazier

Spirit of the Plains Backer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
www.youtube.com
I know that there are a lot of info and details that were mentioned by Mane6 and Lauren Faust on the livestreams. But the long video lengths make it impossible to pinpoint and find all necessary details most of us never heard of or have missed.

I think, with a little help, we can make a list of details (gameplay and lore) mentioned on the livestreams and post them here for those who want to know.

For example:
  • October 16 Stream Part 1, @45:21 - Possibility of the Predators having to survive their imprisonment in the Hold by eating each other and their young.

The List:

Last edited:

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
There is also the memes for those who missed them like spiderdeer and hypno/nightmare arizona that happened by accident...hopefully those who missed those streams can get caught up as many questions they asked on the stream (though you cant see them) get answered there...

and some of the vids happened long before the funding was finshed so you might have to go back pretty far to find something you missed like a meme or lore that might have a high chance of happening due to them answering it in a stream and going thorugh them one at a time to get your answer might not be the most effiencent way.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Okay, I LOVE this thread already! Genius! Here's hoping we have some Foenatic who will comb through every hour of video and post em all for us!
Or we could all pitch in I guess :(

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
It was then that Stunthead knew he was destined to be the biggest Foenatic in the history of the forum. For the sake of my sanity, I won't bother listing explainations of things that can be figured out by just watching any old stream and paying close attention, only things that need to be pinpointed are worth mentioning. Plus I'm sure there'll be things that I leave out because they're too obvious or too petty or too boring or too outdated to mention. Ultimately that's up to me. If you've got a problem with that, too bad, I'm the best you've got.

OCT 2 STREAM

PART 1:

0:00 - The team don't even bother to introduce themselves. So rood.
3:40
- Tennis Shoe pallete first mentioned. This is a running joke from the last game where Purple Smart was given a garish pallete based on an Lawyer Friendly Equines toy named Dewdrop Dazzle. It was mentioned that it looked like an ugly little girl's tennis shoe (as in the shoe is ugly, not the little girl).
12:09 - The team say they will be adding command normals to keep things varied.
13:23 - Jay says they plan to update and patch the game fairly regularly, but they can't tell at this stage how regular "regularly" will be.
14:54 - Pushblock was already in the template, it's working so far, so they are keeping it for now.
15:58 - Backgrounds will be in 3D (with 2D option, as was clarified later)
18:18 - The tech window is approx 24 frames, which is fairly forgiving (like everything, this is subject to change).

PART 2:
0:25 - The first, but certainly not the last, time that Arizona is just called "Cow" because the Devs only recently implemented the names.
9:48 - "I don't think real alpacas can teleport YET."

PART 3:
4:21 - "Springboks. Springboks are pretty cool." (Notable because I was the one who got him to say this)
6:25 - It's revealed that the reindeer character was originally going to be the Gottagofast replacement, because of the "Santa's Flying Reindeer" concept.

PART 4:
10:32 - The game's working title was 'Stampede!'
17:32 -
DLC character movesets are going to be based on old ideas for Fighting is Magic DLC characters, but because those ideas were so underdeveloped and the new engine gives them so many more options, there will still be a lot of changes. The old DLC charaters are more of a starting point than anything.
22:40 - How to pronounce Tianhuo.
29:54 - SWEET TInTS!

PART 5:
...Nuffink

There are plenty of other moments when people ask "Will X feature be in the game" and the team answers with "We hope so, we'd love to do that." Anyway, I'll list the info from the other streams when I find the time. I'm sure the ones with Lauren will be the ones people are most interested in.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
It was then that Stunthead knew he was destined to be the biggest Foenatic in the history of the forum. For the sake of my sanity, I won't bother listing explainations of things that can be figured out by just watching any old stream and paying close attention, only things that need to be pinpointed are worth mentioning. Plus I'm sure there'll be things that I leave out because they're too obvious or too petty or too boring or too outdated to mention. Ultimately that's up to me. If you've got a problem with that, too bad, I'm the best you've got.

OCT 2 STREAM

PART 1:

- Tennis Shoe pallete first mentioned. This is a running joke from the last game where Purple Smart was given a garish pallete based on an Lawyer Friendly Equines toy named Dewdrop Dazzle. It was mentioned that it looked like an ugly little girl's tennis shoe (as in the shoe is ugly, not the little girl).
13:23 - Jay says they plan to update and patch the game fairly regularly, but they can't tell at this stage how regular "regularly" will be.
14:54 - Pushblock was already in the template, it's working so far, so they are keeping it for now.
18:18 - The tech window is approx 24 frames, which is fairly forgiving (like everything, this is subject to change).

PART 2:
0:25 - The first, but certainly not the last, time that Arizona is just called "Cow" because the Devs only recently implemented the names.

PART 3:
4:21 - "Springboks. Springboks are pretty cool." (Notable because I was the one who got him to say this)
6:25 - It's revealed that the reindeer character was originally going to be the Gottagofast replacement, because of the "Santa's Flying Reindeer" concept.

PART 4:
DLC character movesets are going to be based on old ideas for Fighting is Magic DLC characters, but because those ideas were so underdeveloped and the new engine gives them so many more options, there will still be a lot of changes. The old DLC charaters are more of a starting point than anything.

PART 5:
...Nuffink

There are plenty of other moments when people ask "Will X feature be in the game" and the team answers with "We hope so, we'd love to do that." Anyway, I'll list the info from the other streams when I find the time. I'm sure the ones with Lauren will be the ones people are most interested in.
Lovely. Thank you!

Reactions: Stunthead

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl

OCT 2 STREAM

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

PART 5:
...Nuffink

Did you just literally rewatch the entire stream?

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
Sadly until they highlight their vids and post them on youtube with every little thing there really isnt anyway to get to see important stuff unless you rewatch all old streams. I still have some that I missed that had lauren in them and she has a lot of cool things to say about the game as well and many things to say about why she drew characters a certain way.

I also remember her helping with writing advice in an older streams before the funding was even done she hasnt really appeared in any recent ones though so if you wanted to see what she had to say you have to go to really old vids one at a time until you find it. And you never know she might appear there in later streams.

and as more workstreams are being added we will eventually forget which one had them explaining how a character worked unless they do it for every single stream but mostly they dont explain everything that happened in older streams. They said a lot of intertesting things about tianhao and paprika in the last stream and even more interesting things on pom in the last 2 streams.

And I think really early on they talked about arizona (Called cow in older streams) and velvet and how they worked and those who missed them have to go back pretty far to see the info on there.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth

OCT 2 STREAM

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

PART 5:
...Nuffink

YUS! This is what we need! Ty sir, I look forward to more

CrystalBlazier

Spirit of the Plains Backer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
www.youtube.com

OCT 2 STREAM

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

PART 5:
...Nuffink

Nice work, Stunthead! :D Other users can help out with your efforts too.

I'm working on adding these details to the Foenum wikia.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Stunthead, Stunthead, he's our man!
If he can't do it, he shouldn't make promises that he can't keep, the daft twit.
Anyway, the next stream. Lauren's in this one, so we should be getting some interesting lore stuff. Once again, info that is too obvious, petty, boring or outdated to mention will be omitted.

OCT 10 STREAM
PART 1:

1:01 - THE GLORIOUS FAUST utters her first muffly words! Praise be to the High Preistess of awesome-sauce! She knows all!
5:24 - Lauren doesn't know if Arizona will have a Southern accent, they'll just wait to see how the voice talent inspires them. Because TFH has no strict bible, they're figuring it out as they go. They're thinking of sticking to the American Midwest accents when considering cattlekind.
8:08 - The starting 6 characters will have the same size and weight in terms of hitboxes. Future characters may not.
9:44 - Lauren talks for a bit about how awesome it is that people are so hungry for lore, and how seeing people discuss things has sparked ideas for stuff she might not be able to do in children's television. (Hopefully Lauren has an eye on this forum too. Lots of great discussion here).
14:04 - Teching is done by holding up (in the air) or down (on the ground)
14:35 - The visual lobby will be used for story mode. It's part of the reason they're making the lobby in the first place.
15:21 - Lauren explains the process she used to pick the species/personalities, and also says that what excited her about the old game was that the Lawyer Friendly Equines characters were fighting in character. The reason the new characters are expies of the Lawyer Friendly Equines characters is to preserve the work that had already been done.
18:01 - Movement systems depend on selected character to fit playstyle.
21:26 - Lauren says Discord should have been a Longma.
22:58 - Lauren acknowledges that the predators cannot be seen as entirely villainous, but from the perspective of the ungulates who are being eaten there's no real way to look at the predators as anything other than "The Bad Guys." They are dangerous, they are life threatening and any living creature needs to think of self-preservation first. Grey areas can be introduced as they go along, but at the start of the story, the predators are bad guys.

PART 2:
0:00 - Hitbox editor is shown off.
7:45 - Lauren is bein' all vague about whether or not Fred has evil intentions. All she says is that Oleander will be an exciting character to explore.
11:12 - Very basic breakdown of Arizona and Velvet's moveset.

PART 3:
0:00 - The devs fail to tell us what TSTHWYCTDHM stands for.
1:56 - An omnivore that still eats ungulates is considered a threat and is lumped in with all the other predators. Lauren says she sees the predators as slightly more animalistic than the ungulates. She tosses around a non-canon idea that she had that the ungulates, before the predators were locked up in the hold, had sent over emissaries to try to work out some kind of deal with the predators. They were promptly eaten. In Lauren's own words, "What do you DO after that?"
5:14 - The scouts are not solid. They're ghost-like.
6:24 - They would like for predators to be fightable in the story mode even if you can't play as them. Any extra playable characters, predator or not, depend on how well the game does.
16:08 - Even without making new playable characters, the team is happy to bring in more species for the story mode.
17:02 - The first 7 characters are female, but there's no reason why male characters can't be added in future.
18:16 - There's been talk about making TFH comics.

PART 4:
There was no part 4. I've cheated you. I've cheated all of you and you didn't even notice.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
PART 4:
There was no part 4. I've cheated you. I've cheated all of you and you didn't even notice.
I ... I thought we had something. I thought we had something special. Why, why did you do this to me? Why would you cut me like this? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU?!? :mad:

Silliness aside: Thanks again. This is awesome.

Last edited:

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Hey. Haven't gone through a stream in a while because I was busy. I'm not sorry. Anyway, this stream is an hour and 52 minutes long, and yet for some reason I'm sitting here wasting time trying to say something clever at the start of this post, so let's just get into it.

OCT 13 STREAM
PART 1:
2:20 - Oh boy, more sweet tints. Jay knows what we like to see.
17:42 - Add ALL the ungulates! They've been discussing ideas for future characters and a few have already been solidified.
18:10 - I interpret this question as asking if Tianhuo will have an "on fire" and "extinguished" mode. The answer is no.
18:40 - Nappy plans on revealing which characters would have been in Fighting is Magic as their TFH counterparts are released.
19:56 - Jay swears, apologizes.
20:17 - Jay immediately swears again.
28:21 - They would like to bring back the AJ's nervous laugh on missing her lasso and give it to Arizona.
30:26 - They would love to have character specific interactions and animations. They've already started working out rivalries and friendships between the characters. It depends on how the characters evolve.
32:26 - The plan is to have a "Canon" story mode that tells the story as the creators intend, as well as another more arcadey mode for each individual character. The character-specific modes probably won't be bogged down with as much story, but they do plan on having a "What if?" ending for each character. The general idea looks like the story mode will be for people who care about the story, the character-specific mode is for people who just want to beat up animals.
37:45 - The backers-only palette will be unique, but not too crazy, it will remain exclusive to backers UNTIL THE END OF TIME!

PART 2:
1:37 - The little 8-bit sprites are likely to change. Right now they're just ancient placeholders.
5:48 - Backer items that are very similar will be given the chance to be made a specific colour or changed or whatever. Backers will also have the option to make their lobby items available for everyone if they want.
7:14 - The kinds of lobby accessories they're thinking of mainly having are head/face items or floating objects like a balloon or whatever. Those things are the easiest to normalize and the sprites will probably have very large heads even in the final version.
24:04 - ♪ Look at this cow! Isn't it great? Now it is blue! ♫ Jay sings a lot of random improvised songs. I do that too sometimes. We also both say things in stupid accented voices sometimes. Maybe it's a geeky New Zealander thing.
25:04 - Worth noting; it doesn't sound like the character's palettes are default yet. If that's true, all our lovely coloured-in fanart may end up becoming outdated! Those monsters!

PART 3:
1:51 - Oh boy, we get to hear more of that sexy dynamic music system! This part contains more of those songs from the dynamic music teasers, so you can hear some versions of the song here that you won't find in any other teasers. Depending on how they use this placeholder music, you may not even hear it in the final game, so listen while you can.
10:15 - They show off how the music distorts during a really long combo.
14:01 - BOOGIE TIME!
19:27 - The Level 3's are the more overblown attacks, but they aren't being designed to be relied on. Mainly there to be flashy.
22:23 - Third-round key shift.
22:45 - The amount of juggle decay isOH GOD EVERYBODY PICNIC

PART 4:
1:32 - Okay, we're back. The amount of juggle decay is dependant on if the attacker is grounded or in the air. Aerial attacks can be looped pretty easily, so they add a lot more than grounded attack

PART 5:
2:29 - The meter that shows up below the characters in sparring mode is the hitstun bar. It doesn't show up in-game.
4:25 - MORE DANCING! But with a smoother framerate this time for SMOOTHER MOVES!

PART 6:
Nothing really worth mentioning in this part, so I'll just say "Nappy X Jay OTP" and see if that ship sets sail.

By the way, devs, if you're reading these posts and I've misinterpreted something or you've made some sort of change, be sure to correct me. No point me doing these posts if I'm spreading misinformation.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Hey. Haven't gone through a stream in a while because I was busy. I'm not sorry. Anyway, this stream is an hour and 52 minutes long, and yet for some reason I'm sitting here wasting time trying to say something clever at the start of this post, so let's just get into it.

OCT 13 STREAM
PART 1:
2:20 - Oh boy, more sweet tints. Jay knows what we like to see.
17:42 - Add ALL the ungulates! They've been discussing ideas for future characters and a few have already been solidified.
18:10 - I interpret this question as asking if Tianhuo will have an "on fire" and "extinguished" mode. The answer is no.
18:40 - Nappy plans on revealing which characters would have been in Fighting is Magic as their TFH counterparts are released.
19:56 - Jay swears, apologizes.
20:17 - Jay immediately swears again.
28:21 - They would like to bring back the AJ's nervous laugh on missing her lasso and give it to Arizona.
30:26 - They would love to have character specific interactions and animations. They've already started working out rivalries and friendships between the characters. It depends on how the characters evolve.
32:26 - The plan is to have a "Canon" story mode that tells the story as the creators intend, as well as another more arcadey mode for each individual character. The character-specific modes probably won't be bogged down with as much story, but they do plan on having a "What if?" ending for each character. The general idea looks like the story mode will be for people who care about the story, the character-specific mode is for people who just want to beat up animals.
37:45 - The backers-only palette will be unique, but not too crazy, it will remain exclusive to backers UNTIL THE END OF TIME!

PART 2:
1:37 - The little 8-bit sprites are likely to change. Right now they're just ancient placeholders.
5:48 - Backer items that are very similar will be given the chance to be made a specific colour or changed or whatever. Backers will also have the option to make their lobby items available for everyone if they want.
7:14 - The kinds of lobby accessories they're thinking of mainly having are head/face items or floating objects like a balloon or whatever. Those things are the easiest to normalize and the sprites will probably have very large heads even in the final version.
24:04 - ♪ Look at this cow! Isn't it great? Now it is blue! ♫ Jay sings a lot of random improvised songs. I do that too sometimes. We also both say things in stupid accented voices sometimes. Maybe it's a geeky New Zealander thing.
25:04 - Worth noting; it doesn't sound like the character's palettes are default yet. If that's true, all our lovely coloured-in fanart may end up becoming outdated! Those monsters!

PART 3:
1:51 - Oh boy, we get to hear more of that sexy dynamic music system! This part contains more of those songs from the dynamic music teasers, so you can hear some versions of the song here that you won't find in any other teasers. Depending on how they use this placeholder music, you may not even hear it in the final game, so listen while you can.
10:15 - They show off how the music distorts during a really long combo.
14:01 - BOOGIE TIME!
19:27 - The Level 3's are the more overblown attacks, but they aren't being designed to be relied on. Mainly there to be flashy.
22:23 - Third-round key shift.
22:45 - The amount of juggle decay isOH GOD EVERYBODY PICNIC

PART 4:
1:32 - Okay, we're back. The amount of juggle decay is dependant on if the attacker is grounded or in the air. Aerial attacks can be looped pretty easily, so they add a lot more than grounded attack

PART 5:
2:29 - The meter that shows up below the characters in sparring mode is the hitstun bar. It doesn't show up in-game.
4:25 - MORE DANCING! But with a smoother framerate this time for SMOOTHER MOVES!

PART 6:
Nothing really worth mentioning in this part, so I'll just say "Nappy X Jay OTP" and see if that ship sets sail.

By the way, devs, if you're reading these posts and I've misinterpreted something or you've made some sort of change, be sure to correct me. No point me doing these posts if I'm spreading misinformation.
Your hard work continues to be appreciated.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
*Muffled sheep bah-ing in distance*
There's a lot in this one. It's cool, it's not like I had anything else to do... like sleep...

OCT 16 STREAM:
PART 1:
0:00 - ooooOOOOH SHEEP, BOYS! This one's got Lauren in it!
1:12 - Oleander's accent hasn't been given much thought. She just kinda sounds like the everygirl in order to contrast the Order of the Horn. At this point, they'll work with what the VA gives them, like they did with Eduardo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Also, Velvet's accent is vague. For all intents and purposes, it's just a "Rein" accent.
5:18 - Technology in Foenum is pre-electricity, probably pre-gas. Think renaissance with magic.
6:24 - The predators probably have a different name for Foenum, because Foenum means grass and they probably wouldn't call it that. Lauren doesn't know what they would call it, though. She hasn't thought that far ahead. This will be a running theme in this stream, methinks.
7:13 - Oleander's pink highlights are probably from the book, but again, just a working palette, may not be the final one.
8:47 - Golden Oats probably don't work on other races. Also I just noticed that "Golden Oats" sounds like "Golden Oak" and now I'm thinking of the library and now I'm sad.
9:39 - They ain't figured out that goat yet. Good climber, that's it. The process goes Gameplay > Species > Character > Backstory.
14:06 - "How are Velvet and Rarara different?" Rarara believes everyone has a right to look and feel beautiful. Velvet doesn't think this: She thinks she's better, and nobody has proven her wrong yet.
17:04 - The mythical species are no different to the more normal species other than their Rarara. Lauren would like Foenum to stay 99% populated by non-rare ungulates, because that makes the rare ones more special.
19:00 - The Blitz hasn't been considered any more for the game's story yet, but he could totally come back. Lauren seems to like him.
21:02 - The cows aren't all named after states, just Arizona's relatives to indicate their bloodline. Also, Lauren wants there to be 2 Dakotas. Twins.
22:49 - Lauren likes the feeling of sticking to the original 8 Reindeer from T'was the Night Before Christmas, but whether Rudolph shows up as a character depends on if he's in the public domain.
27:05 - Part of building a world is giving characters jobs or ambissions, so expect those in this game.
33:31 - The a lot of the starting 6 characters in this game probably wouldn't be friends with the Lawyer Friendly Equines characters simply because being an independant game means they can be a lot more flawed. The characters in this game probably won't even get along with each other.
35:43 - Magical predators probably exist, but are as rare as magical ungulates. The big bad will be something totally made up by the team.
42:06 - Horsey-type magical creatures are just as likely to be put in the game as any other type. That is to say, they don't really want to add any more without a good reason. Too much magic makes the magic less magical.
45:25 - The predators haven't been totally figured out yet, but Lauren has been mulling over the idea of them getting old and dying like they would outside the hold, and maybe they have to eat each other to survive. Including eating babies. Lauren is in the process of writing a story about eating babies, guys. Lauren also says she doesn't want to define stuff until she has to. Defining stuff too early stops ideas from growing.
50:04 - Aquatic animals are probably not sentiant other than, maybe, a few predatory ones. Lauren doesn't mention yet whether or not aquatic predators are locked in the hold.
50:54 - Personal Note: I've heard that the NZ accent is one of the sexiest accents out there. So if there are any foreign ladies who agree, just lettin' you all know that I'm kiwi AND single! ...I'll wear a bag if you want me to... :(
51:08 - Foenum, Lauren imagines, is a planet, not just a country.
53:12 - Aaaand pop goes the Lauren. That aside, Lauren prefers "World" to "Planet" just because they have different semantic value.
54:27 - Paprika loves whoever she is looking at.
55:00 - The Foenicians think of the one who locked the predators away not as a god, but more like a highly regarded, boarderline mythical, figure.
1:02:14 - Evil ungulates could totally be a thing if it serves the plot.
1:04:06 - The name of the game stems from a need to not infringe on copyrighted words. Funny how everything about this project seems to come down to infrigment of copyright, huh? One name Jay's friend came up with was E-I-E-I-OW. They decided on Them's Fightin' Herds because it's humorous, tongue-in-cheek and it conveys that it's a fighting game, all in one.
1:08:04 - For the sake of the story, there's no downside to a world without predators. Lauren gets all Scrooge on us and suggests predators to cull the human population. She's probably joking.
1:09:40 - Ungulate racism exists, and is probably a thing. The world is already divided, so the world is already confirmed to be less-than-ideal.

PART 2
2:15 - The only thing in the game that's almost certainly final is the names
3:06 - Poor Lauren is confused by a question about Odocoileus, Jay is tempted to look it up to make sure it's not porn. (Lauren checks, it wasn't porn).
5:15 - In the ways of comeback mechanics, the only thing they have so far is that characters with low health get their remaining health depleted slower.
18:01 - In the main story, you will not play as one character the entire way through, you will get a little bit of everyone.
19:10 - "We can probably stay away from milk-based questions."
22:18 - The stage chosen will not have an affect on the gameplay.
24:52 - The characters are animated sprites, so if they wanted to bloody the characters, they'd need to redo the frames.
25:50 - The cutest character, according to Lauren, is Pom. Chalk one up for the Pom Patrol. Arizona takes a respectable second place.
26:46 - And then we get the classic "Dance Party Ending." How quaint.

When I bring the Foenum, I bring it to Own 'Em.

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
Seems accurate-ish so far. Honestly, everything between early August and late November of last year is a blur to the team. Sounds like things we would say, though.

gatorafan

HOLAS: (tm)
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ship02: Ur
nightarks.enjin.com
Seems accurate-ish so far. Honestly, everything between early August and late November of last year is a blur to the team. Sounds like things we would say, though.
Oh, so you actually got the beer fountain? :v

EDIT: forgot to make this on topic, I think I've said this before but I've always wanted a bullet point list like these ones for the streams, and I really appreciate the work you are putting into this Stunt. o/

Now back to the dungeon!

Reactions: Stunthead

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
*Muffled sheep bah-ing in distance*
There's a lot in this one. It's cool, it's not like I had anything else to do... like sleep...

OCT 16 STREAM:
PART 1:
0:00 - ooooOOOOH SHEEP, BOYS! This one's got Lauren in it!
1:12 - Oleander's accent hasn't been given much thought. She just kinda sounds like the everygirl in order to contrast the Order of the Horn. At this point, they'll work with what the VA gives them, like they did with Eduardo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Also, Velvet's accent is vague. For all intents and purposes, it's just a "Rein" accent.
5:18 - Technology in Foenum is pre-electricity, probably pre-gas. Think renaissance with magic.
6:24 - The predators probably have a different name for Foenum, because Foenum means grass and they probably wouldn't call it that. Lauren doesn't know what they would call it, though. She hasn't thought that far ahead. This will be a running theme in this stream, methinks.
7:13 - Oleander's pink highlights are probably from the book, but again, just a working palette, may not be the final one.
8:47 - Golden Oats probably don't work on other races. Also I just noticed that "Golden Oats" sounds like "Golden Oak" and now I'm thinking of the library and now I'm sad.
9:39 - They ain't figured out that goat yet. Good climber, that's it. The process goes Gameplay > Species > Character > Backstory.
14:06 - "How are Velvet and Rarara different?" Rarara believes everyone has a right to look and feel beautiful. Velvet doesn't think this: She thinks she's better, and nobody has proven her wrong yet.
17:04 - The mythical species are no different to the more normal species other than their Rarara. Lauren would like Foenum to stay 99% populated by non-rare ungulates, because that makes the rare ones more special.
19:00 - The Blitz hasn't been considered any more for the game's story yet, but he could totally come back. Lauren seems to like him.
21:02 - The cows aren't all named after states, just Arizona's relatives to indicate their bloodline. Also, Lauren wants there to be 2 Dakotas. Twins.
22:49 - Lauren likes the feeling of sticking to the original 8 Reindeer from T'was the Night Before Christmas, but whether Rudolph shows up as a character depends on if he's in the public domain.
27:05 - Part of building a world is giving characters jobs or ambissions, so expect those in this game.
33:31 - The a lot of the starting 6 characters in this game probably wouldn't be friends with the Lawyer Friendly Equines characters simply because being an independant game means they can be a lot more flawed. The characters in this game probably won't even get along with each other.
35:43 - Magical predators probably exist, but are as rare as magical ungulates. The big bad will be something totally made up by the team.
42:06 - Horsey-type magical creatures are just as likely to be put in the game as any other type. That is to say, they don't really want to add any more without a good reason. Too much magic makes the magic less magical.
45:25 - The predators haven't been totally figured out yet, but Lauren has been mulling over the idea of them getting old and dying like they would outside the hold, and maybe they have to eat each other to survive. Including eating babies. Lauren is in the process of writing a story about eating babies, guys. Lauren also says she doesn't want to define stuff until she has to. Defining stuff too early stops ideas from growing.
50:04 - Aquatic animals are probably not sentiant other than, maybe, a few predatory ones. Lauren doesn't mention yet whether or not aquatic predators are locked in the hold.
50:54 - Personal Note: I've heard that the NZ accent is one of the sexiest accents out there. So if there are any foreign ladies who agree, just lettin' you all know that I'm kiwi AND single! ...I'll wear a bag if you want me to... :(
51:08 - Foenum, Lauren imagines, is a planet, not just a country.
53:12 - Aaaand pop goes the Lauren. That aside, Lauren prefers "World" to "Planet" just because they have different semantic value.
54:27 - Paprika loves whoever she is looking at.
55:00 - The Foenicians think of the one who locked the predators away not as a god, but more like a highly regarded, boarderline mythical, figure.
1:02:14 - Evil ungulates could totally be a thing if it serves the plot.
1:04:06 - The name of the game stems from a need to not infringe on copyrighted words. Funny how everything about this project seems to come down to infrigment of copyright, huh? One name Jay's friend came up with was E-I-E-I-OW. They decided on Them's Fightin' Herds because it's humorous, tongue-in-cheek and it conveys that it's a fighting game, all in one.
1:08:04 - For the sake of the story, there's no downside to a world without predators. Lauren gets all Scrooge on us and suggests predators to cull the human population. She's probably joking.
1:09:40 - Ungulate racism exists, and is probably a thing. The world is already divided, so the world is already confirmed to be less-than-ideal.

PART 2
2:15 - The only thing in the game that's almost certainly final is the names
3:06 - Poor Lauren is confused by a question about Odocoileus, Jay is tempted to look it up to make sure it's not porn. (Lauren checks, it wasn't porn).
5:15 - In the ways of comeback mechanics, the only thing they have so far is that characters with low health get their remaining health depleted slower.
18:01 - In the main story, you will not play as one character the entire way through, you will get a little bit of everyone.
19:10 - "We can probably stay away from milk-based questions."
22:18 - The stage chosen will not have an affect on the gameplay.
24:52 - The characters are animated sprites, so if they wanted to bloody the characters, they'd need to redo the frames.
25:50 - The cutest character, according to Lauren, is Pom. Chalk one up for the Pom Patrol. Arizona takes a respectable second place.
26:46 - And then we get the classic "Dance Party Ending." How quaint.

When I bring the Foenum, I bring it to Own 'Em.
OOh this was a good one! Nice bit of info there about Cattle names, will make it easier to manage in my story! Also confirmed that story-mode plays all characters, nice!

Reactions: Lanxide

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
OOh this was a good one! Nice bit of info there about Cattle names, will make it easier to manage in my story! Also confirmed that story-mode plays all characters, nice!
Agreed with the cattle names. That'll make things nice and easy. After all, how weird would it be for a cow to be named New Jersy? I mean, who would want anything to do with that? :p

1:02:14 -
Evil ungulates could totally be a thing if it serves the plot.
Needless to say, certain parties found this bit to be rather, shall we say, nice to know. Plus the more we know about the main evil force in the game, the better.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Godot still isn't here, so time to go through another livestream. On this episode of Crowdfund Kidz, the gang celebrate the successful funding of their game, Mammal Panic 2, but little do they know what waits for them around the corner...

GAME FUNDED! CELEBRATION STREAM!
PART 1 (OF 1)
0:00 - Lots of thank yous, starting here, stretching out into infinity.
1:46 - "I'm always drunk!" ~ Lauren Faust
3:24 - And to think she doubted we would get that goat! Ye of little faith, Lauren!
18:10 - Putting backer beta access on Mac and Linux sounds complecated, but it may be doable. No promises.
22:09 - Lauren says she knows some people (regarding VAs). Don't know if she's being serious, but this could mean some pretty pro people coming in to voice act for the game...
26:07 - Pom and Paprika might be getting accessories in order to break up their fur colour a little bit. Maybe a little bell for Pom's neck.
26:35 - Pom is called Pom because she has a Pompadour. Even Lauren didn't know this.
27:20 - The team think that setting up more funding in the future to meet stretchgoals they don't hit would be a totally reasonable idea. (Obvously they have hit all their stretch goals, but it's still worth noting that they could use crowdfunding for future DLC rather than relying purely on game sales).
33:41 - "We'll probably end up this thing up soon." Haha, yeah, thanks Jay... about 1/4 of the way into the video... Anyway, Oleander's age. Unicorns are more long-lived because they have Da Magiks. In the Book of Lore, Oleander is about a teenager in Unicorn years. 13 years later, at the time of the game, she's a young adult. Arizona is said to have the lifespan of an actual cow, so she's probably actually about 1. Pom is probably also very young. Still,as Jay says, "Hit some children!"
36:10 - Jay dives into a bit of "Biting the hand" humor.
40:12 - They are putting thought towards having the dynamic music respond to the tea-taunts.
40:47 - Whether or not the soundtrack will be available for purchase independant of the backer tiers is really up to RC88
41:08 - After a short mental breakdown, Lauren says that, unlike our world, cows in Foenum just sorta ended up naturally evolving to look like this, it wasn't because of selective breeding.
44:42 - It is asked if the unicorns are only white because they use so much light magic, and if all magic has a different colour. Lauren doesn't know, but she finds it to be an interesting take on how magic works in this world. Lauren again emphasises how she likes to define things as they come up so she can keep the story malleable.
47:36 - Someone in the stream chat doesn't realise that it's rude to ask ladies their weight. Lauren implies the characters weigh as much as their respective species on earth.
49:29 - Lauren says that she's thinkin' the roster will be stickin' with hoofed mammals if it gets expanded. She also kinda wants to have a giraffe character. The rest of the team say they've been trying to figure out how to make that work. So... whoops. We chose the wrong species to declare war on in the RP threads... Lauren also says that Dik Dik would be fun, and again, the team agrees, and then she brings up a stretched out deer thing that I can't figure out how to spell. Chat brings up a lot of ideas that Lauren likes.
53:52 - Jay sets Lauren down a dark path that may or may not have ended with her looking up a picture of tapir penis.
56:01 - Lauren says that in her mind when writing Fred's "Normal" voice, she thinks of him as sounding like Andy Daly.
1:08:08 - Herbivores in Foenum that are not ungulates are just... animals. Lauren thinks about the idea of predators that were not threats being allowed to stay, which was later supported by Pom's book of Lore which featured mice (which I assume in this case are Omnivores). Those predators probably weren't sentiant either.
1:19:05 - There's nothing quite as sad as a leaving Lauren, is there?
1:23:50 - I think this is the first time the "This game could be played on a DDR Pad" running joke has come up on-stream since the game got it's makeover.
1:25:04 - Nappy wants to make a grappler. He has been wanting to add a grappler since the beginning.

And then Jay was a robot and the stream vanished into the night. By the way, the thing that awaited them around the corner was the goat. *Spooky bleeting*

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Sweet! This is where I started participating in the streams!
Lauren says she knows some people (regarding VAs). Don't know if she's being serious, but this could mean some pretty pro people coming in to voice act for the game...
Pull dem strings Lauren! We neeeds you!

Anyway, Oleander's age. Unicorns are more long-lived because they have Da Magiks. In the Book of Lore, Oleander is about a teenager in Unicorn years. 13 years later, at the time of the game, she's a young adult.
Good info!

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Godot still isn't here, so time to go through another livestream. On this episode of Crowdfund Kidz, the gang celebrate the successful funding of their game, Mammal Panic 2, but little do they know what waits for them around the corner...

GAME FUNDED! CELEBRATION STREAM!
PART 1 (OF 1)
0:00 - Lots of thank yous, starting here, stretching out into infinity.
1:46 - "I'm always drunk!" ~ Lauren Faust
3:24 - And to think she doubted we would get that goat! Ye of little faith, Lauren!
18:10 - Putting backer beta access on Mac and Linux sounds complecated, but it may be doable. No promises.
22:09 - Lauren says she knows some people (regarding VAs). Don't know if she's being serious, but this could mean some pretty pro people coming in to voice act for the game...
26:07 - Pom and Paprika might be getting accessories in order to break up their fur colour a little bit. Maybe a little bell for Pom's neck.
26:35 - Pom is called Pom because she has a Pompadour. Even Lauren didn't know this.
27:20 - The team think that setting up more funding in the future to meet stretchgoals they don't hit would be a totally reasonable idea. (Obvously they have hit all their stretch goals, but it's still worth noting that they could use crowdfunding for future DLC rather than relying purely on game sales).
33:41 - "We'll probably end up this thing up soon." Haha, yeah, thanks Jay... about 1/4 of the way into the video... Anyway, Oleander's age. Unicorns are more long-lived because they have Da Magiks. In the Book of Lore, Oleander is about a teenager in Unicorn years. 13 years later, at the time of the game, she's a young adult. Arizona is said to have the lifespan of an actual cow, so she's probably actually about 1. Pom is probably also very young. Still,as Jay says, "Hit some children!"
36:10 - Jay dives into a bit of "Biting the hand" humor.
40:12 - They are putting thought towards having the dynamic music respond to the tea-taunts.
40:47 - Whether or not the soundtrack will be available for purchase independant of the backer tiers is really up to RC88
41:08 - After a short mental breakdown, Lauren says that, unlike our world, cows in Foenum just sorta ended up naturally evolving to look like this, it wasn't because of selective breeding.
44:42 - It is asked if the unicorns are only white because they use so much light magic, and if all magic has a different colour. Lauren doesn't know, but she finds it to be an interesting take on how magic works in this world. Lauren again emphasises how she likes to define things as they come up so she can keep the story malleable.
47:36 - Someone in the stream chat doesn't realise that it's rude to ask ladies their weight. Lauren implies the characters weigh as much as their respective species on earth.
49:29 - Lauren says that she's thinkin' the roster will be stickin' with hoofed mammals if it gets expanded. She also kinda wants to have a giraffe character. The rest of the team say they've been trying to figure out how to make that work. So... whoops. We chose the wrong species to declare war on in the RP threads... Lauren also says that Dik Dik would be fun, and again, the team agrees, and then she brings up a stretched out deer thing that I can't figure out how to spell. Chat brings up a lot of ideas that Lauren likes.
53:52 - Jay sets Lauren down a dark path that may or may not have ended with her looking up a picture of tapir penis.
56:01 - Lauren says that in her mind when writing Fred's "Normal" voice, she thinks of him as sounding like Andy Daly.
1:08:08 - Herbivores in Foenum that are not ungulates are just... animals. Lauren thinks about the idea of predators that were not threats being allowed to stay, which was later supported by Pom's book of Lore which featured mice (which I assume in this case are Omnivores). Those predators probably weren't sentiant either.
1:19:05 - There's nothing quite as sad as a leaving Lauren, is there?
1:23:50 - I think this is the first time the "This game could be played on a DDR Pad" running joke has come up on-stream since the game got it's makeover.
1:25:04 - Nappy wants to make a grappler. He has been wanting to add a grappler since the beginning.

And then Jay was a robot and the stream vanished into the night. By the way, the thing that awaited them around the corner was the goat. *Spooky bleeting*
33:41 - I would like to think that the news of the predators returning came at a different time to all the herds. Which would explain why 13 years passed when Oleander heard about the predators returning and why Arizona's age at the start of the game is about 1. What do you guys think who got the news first and how did it spread?

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
33:41 - I would like to think that the news of the predators returning came at a different time to all the herds. Which would explain why 13 years passed when Oleander heard about the predators returning and why Arizona's age at the start of the game is about 1. What do you guys think who got the news first and how did it spread?
Oleander got it way in advance because Fred told her. Everyone else got the new only when the predators started crossing as shadows to scout Foenum.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Oh that's right forgot about that. I expected that this news never left the Order of the Horn, since they are like the "Christians" of Fœnum (No offence :p). But I still want to know more.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Oh that's right forgot about that. I expected that this news never left the Order of the Horn, since they are like the "Christians" of Fœnum (No offence :p). But I still want to know more.
The Order of the Horn really can't be likened to any mainstream religion since it mostly keep to itself and as far as we know as always done so (no offense but even if real religions have considerably calmed down since then they've all had their "dark" phase...)