Underrated/Obscure Video Games

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

As some who is a real fan of tactical grid strategy games (Like Fire Emblem or XCom), The Banner Saga is something that really appealed to me. (I'm also a huge sucker for the heavy nordic theming).

It definitely comes across as a bit of an indie game, as the content is actually a bit light and short and I wish there was more class variety, but the story is incredibly engaging and the gameplay is intense. XCOM levels of brutal difficulty when it comes to fights and resource management. It's only $20 on Steam, and strongly recommend it to anyone who likes games of this genre.

It's just freakin epic, and it needs more love.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I'm not sure if this is really obscure or not, but it definitely was a huge part of my early years. Freaking loved Kid Pix Studio

I also remember Invention Studio by Mobygames, which was mostly just shovelware, but I fondly remember it being kinda fun to mess around with, especially the Rube Goldberg machine game (Unfortunately I couldn't find any footage of it).

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Shadowking58

Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New York
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure if this is really obscure or not, but it definitely was a huge part of my early years. Freaking loved Kid Pix Studio

I also remember Invention Studio by Mobygames, which was mostly just shovelware, but I fondly remember it being kinda fun to mess around with, especially the Rube Goldberg machine game (Unfortunately I couldn't find any footage of it).
OH MY GOD. I remember Kid Pix Studio, there was this one feature that you would type and a voice what repeat whatever you typed. I would always type "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and the voice would say it as "hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" ahhh... good times.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada

I remember I would always mess up that little girls face on Kid Pix 3 or 4, can't remember which

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Let's see if anyone has even heard of this one. From what I remember, it was a Blockbuster exclusive.
That's odd, i've never heard of games being exclusive to stores unless it's like a special edition of an already existing game

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
That's odd, i've never heard of games being exclusive to stores unless it's like a special edition of an already existing game
There have been at least a few games that were rental-only. The N64 Beast Wars fighting game was also a Blockbuster exclusive.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
There have been at least a few games that were rental-only. The N64 Beast Wars fighting game was also a Blockbuster exclusive.
It's too bad Blockbuster is dead now, I loved that place when I was a kid, my parents would rent me a new game every Friday and if I liked it enough they would consider getting me the full thing

Reactions: Stars

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
It's too bad Blockbuster is dead now, I loved that place when I was a kid, my parents would rent me a new game every Friday and if I liked it enough they would consider getting me the full thing
Brings back memories of when my brother worked at Blockbuster for a while. He'd get free rentals and would sometimes bring home games that he thought I might like. That's how I got introduced to XGIII, which I later bought since it helped scratch my futuristic racing itch until F-Zero GX came out.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Brings back memories of when my brother worked at Blockbuster for a while. He'd get free rentals and would sometimes bring home games that he thought I might like. That's how I got introduced to XGIII, which I later bought since it helped scratch my futuristic racing itch until F-Zero GX came out.
R.I.P F-Zero series

Reactions: Stars

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
We never rented games, but we did buy rentals they were getting rid of often. A good number of N64 games we own have a "Property of Blockbuster" sticker on top of them (Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer, Rouge Squadron and Battle for Naboo, Paper Mario, Rugrats Scavenger Hunt(I think), Etc.)

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
We never rented games, but we did buy rentals they were getting rid of often. A good number of N64 games we own have a "Property of Blockbuster" sticker on top of them (Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer, Rouge Squadron and Battle for Naboo, Paper Mario, Rugrats Scavenger Hunt(I think), Etc.)
A game based on that movie had no business being so good.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Those property of Blockbuster stickers were such a pain to get off, I always messed up the artwork

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
A more recent retailer exclusive was Xenoblade. That ended up being a big deal, since Gamestop would actually open brand new copies JUST so they could sell it at a higher than retail price.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Vanilla Ware makes some pretty games. I was interested in the extra characters and content in Rebirth until I found out it was DLC and not just included.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Odin Sphere for PS2 comes to mind as well.
Looking forward to Leifthrasir in June~

Just wish I didn't have to look up the spelling every time I try to say something about it. xp

EDIT: Has anyone else here played Grim Grimoire? It's probably one of Vanilla Ware's more obscure games. It plays like a side view RTS.

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Is Okami considered an Obscure game since it didn't sell well.
Viewtiful Joe should be considered an obscure game from Clover Studio. At least Okami got enough recognition to be ported into the much fitting Wii.

Speaking of Capcom: a really obscure game would be Zack & Wiki.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
Wow, I forgot this one to mention this one too. How odd. Honestly, despite the learning curve for the controls, its a very solid and unique game. Try it out when you get the chance.
I imagine most people that know of this game now either knew it from Kingdom Hearts first, or played it on IOS when it came out there.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I love obscure games but I really love Monster Rancher for PS1
Sorry I can't find a better video...
and Devil Dice also PS1
Lastly I love Dungeons of Dreadmor which is a Steam game that I have 138 hours on.
This game has a lot to offer including thousands of steam workshops and it is very cheap.
It has a great soundtrack and a very easy way to mute it if you want to play your own. Also there are very many achievements, if you are into that.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wow, I forgot this one to mention this one too. How odd. Honestly, despite the learning curve for the controls, its a very solid and unique game. Try it out when you get the chance.
Yeah, that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

But it's so good it deserves another mention. :D

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
Azure Dreams is a personal favorite of mine. Think Pokemon meets Rogue meets a Dating Sim. It's a little absurd but it's a lot of fun.

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
Also, Panzer Dragoon Saga.

A game that can't be released to another system, because I remember hearing that Sega "claims" the original source code for the game was lost, and will forever stay on Sega Saturn only. Also, the US release of the game led to a very limited number of copies being produced, making the game rare and it's an expensive to buy title today.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I've actually been wanting to try this game for a while now, although the controls aren't really my cup of tea