Xcom

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Anyone looking forward to XCOM 2 in the next few days?

I'M FRICKIN HYPED :D

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Oh man I like the game and idea and if I could I'd love to try it out, I have XCom: Enemy Unknown on me at the moment. But oh man it's too difficult for me, strategy is difficult help

Discord Sparkle

Witch of Doom
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hope's Peak Academy
Oh man I like the game and idea and if I could I'd love to try it out, I have XCom: Enemy Unknown on me at the moment. But oh man it's too difficult for me, strategy is difficult help
Save scum, or just lower the difficulty.

As for the topic question, I would love to get XCOM 2, but my computer isn't good enough to run it.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Maybe at the end of the year or during the summer.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yeaaaaah Xcom is pretty brutal.

I tried for months to actually beat it on Ironman Classic. I just could not pull it off, and was driving myself crazy in the attempt.

What's weird about the balance is how much of a huge step in difficulty each step is though; Because by comparison I found normal Ironman a relative cakewalk.

I'm a sucker for turn-based strategy though.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Yeaaaaah Xcom is pretty brutal.

I tried for months to actually beat it on Ironman Classic. I just could not pull it off, and was driving myself crazy in the attempt.

What's weird about the balance is how much of a huge step in difficulty each step is though; Because by comparison I found normal Ironman a relative cakewalk.

I'm a sucker for turn-based strategy though.
I'd love to love strategy, but it's not my forte x3;

Kegradigm

Professional Heister
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'll pick it up, play it, get attached to the soldiers that I delicately customized and named, watch in sheer horror as they get brutally slaughtered one by one, then have a mental breakdown over how much of a terrible commander I am.

Well, that or blame the RNG.

Askerad

Fabulous French Froggie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Lyon, France
I'm playing some Long War right now.

I should make a TFH themed rookie team. And send them to a terror mission.

This sounds like !!FUN!!

Spirittis

Tian is a Huo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Czechia
spirittisblog.tumblr.com
XCOM 2 is going to be my game of the year for sure... and it's just February :D

I've seen a few previews already - while I'm hyped and want to know more, I still don't want to spoil myself the story and surprises... but I can already tell it looks great. The game is very similar to previous game - Firaxis looked at the game and was like "You know what? We nailed it last time, but we can still do better."

I've heard that creators of Long War were actually cooperating with the devs during the development, which, given how great Long War was, lowers the odds of Firaxis taking a step in a bad direction even further. The game itself is acually promised a hefty mod support, including integration with Steam Wrokshop. If a game is going to last eternity as one of the most played games, it's gonna be XCOM 2! ^^

I'm playing some Long War right now.

I should make a TFH themed rookie team. And send them to a terror mission.

This sounds like !!FUN!!
We've been playing Long War for ages with friends... it turned out that the mod got updated not that long ago with new items, item damage mechanic, tons of new starting locations... you're playing this one, by any chance? :D I'd definitely recommend updating if you haven't done already ^^

Reactions: Askerad

Askerad

Fabulous French Froggie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Lyon, France
it turned out that the mod got updated not that long ago with new items, item damage mechanic, tons of new starting locations... you're playing this one, by any chance
Yup, but i suck so much that i'm playing in normal mode. I'm just here enjoying the new classes and having fun seeing my gimmick soldiers die one after another. maybe this time i'll get to see mecs more ^^.

Odd Mess

Caribbean Bug
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
XCOM is so cool but I can't buy it, no money in my pocket :v

Well meantime I going to kill the hype playing valkyria chronicles.

Last edited:

Terodeness

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Czech Republic
Yea, but I'm only going to enjoy Beagel's live streams now. I hope it will be on sale this Steam Summer Sale. :)
Also I pray for MEC units. They were little underdone in Enemy Within, and damn epic in LW. But what I really love about them is the concept of sacrificing all of your limbs and becoming a steel "monster" in order to protect your world. I know that MEC don't really fall into stealthy, guerrilla environment upon which Xcom 2 is based, but it would be awesome, if at least moders could implement them. :)
Aka. Punching enemies with KSM never gets old... :)

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yea, but I'm only going to enjoy Beagel's live streams now. I hope it will be on sale this Steam Summer Sale. :)
Also I pray for MEC units. They were little underdone in Enemy Within, and damn epic in LW. But what I really love about them is the concept of sacrificing all of your limbs and becoming a steel "monster" in order to protect your world. I know that MEC don't really fall into stealthy, guerrilla environment upon which Xcom 2 is based, but it would be awesome, if at least moders could implement them. :)
I think there is room for MECs in XCOM 2, thematically speaking.

Guerrilla warfare isn't limited to stealth. Sometimes it's just a matter of ambush tactics with overwhelming force. Also, MECs would likely be a mid-to-late game feature, at which point XCOM would probably have better footing to stage bolder more aggressive attacks. Finally, I'd love to see a greater variety of MEC systems and types, including one that could actually be used for stealth attacks itself, possibly with "camouflage and noise-dampening" tech.

Punching enemies with KSM never gets old... :)
My favorite thing ever was punching sectoids with it. Incredibly satisfying levels of overkill, and it was so much fun to see them go flying.

Lancer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am LOVING this! I'm gonna get sucked into this for a couple weeks

Although I hope they put out a patch soon, the game doesn't seem to be optimized well. Lots of frame drops..

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am LOVING this! I'm gonna get sucked into this for a couple weeks

Although I hope they put out a patch soon, the game doesn't seem to be optimized well. Lots of frame drops..
Ditto. My rig was pretty damn good some years ago--but I'm not able to run new games on the best settings anymore. :x

Fallout 4 I could understand, but I wouldn't expect XCOM to be nearly that resource intensive. Definitely hoping for some optimization then.

blue

a pick of the paka pack
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
22 Hours in Just about to start my third playthrough(First two were losses). And I'm loving how it's not lose one mission and lose the game like it was in EU.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Damn. . .I'm only a few hours into my first playthrough.

Just not enough time in my day. x_x

Spirittis

Tian is a Huo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Czechia
spirittisblog.tumblr.com
We used to play a hell lot of a hotseat co-op with friends in X-COM:EW... we basically chose our characters to go on a mission, then we were playing each our own soldiers only... it was way more fun than it sounds! :DD

... and we all can't wait to get our hands on the new X-COM as well... though as @Ambris said, the game really is not optimized, as devs favored content and release date over optimization... so we actually have few machines among us that can run it :DD... but after all it's turn based, so it shouldn't matter much...

Clover102

Aspiring Animator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
my house
clover102.tumblr.com
We used to play a hell lot of a hotseat co-op with friends in X-COM:EW... we basically chose our characters to go on a mission, then we were playing each our own soldiers only... it was way more fun than it sounds! :DD

... and we all can't wait to get our hands on the new X-COM as well... though as @Ambris said, the game really is not optimized, as devs favored content and release date over optimization... so we actually have few machines among us that can run it :DD... but after all it's turn based, so it shouldn't matter much...
That sounds like a really fun way to play xcom co op I might try that and yeah optimization should be out in like a month or so

CrushingVictory

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
My base gets shot down by a UFO, so i go to blow up the pulse emitter keeping it down and reveal a lot of aliens
Rookie panics and gets shot by a friendly unit in over-watch, causing a lot of my people to panic
Lose the mission and the campaign because a single zombified enemy walked onto the loading ramp

and that, mes amis, is X-COM, baby!

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I picked up the ORIGINAL X-COM set on Steam for cheap, and I've been enjoying it. It's better with Open X-COM, though.

And it's hard.

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I beat XCOM 2! And only on my 2nd playthrough, at that. ON IRONMAN MODE.
And I didn't lose a single soldier in the finale missions. Because I'm a freakin baws at tactics.

. . .Okay, I admit it was only Normal difficulty (or whatever they called it in this game). Gonna take a break from the game for awhile now, and come back to it later to try beating it on Ironman Classic.

But outside of the optimization issues (which they are working on and have improved some) this game is a damn good sequel to Enemy Unknown. Worth every cent.

Reactions: Clover102

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I picked up the ORIGINAL X-COM set on Steam for cheap, and I've been enjoying it. It's better with Open X-COM, though.
And it's hard.
Walk out of the Skyranger. Instantly get shot and die without even seeing the enemy. Try to shoot back with autofire. 2 bullets hit and kill your own soldiers and the third flies off into the horizon, finally hitting a civilian.
10/10, can't wait to finish and play Terror of the Deep.
Also I recommend trying UFO: Two Sides. Multiplayer mod for X-COM: Ufo Defense where one player controls X-COM and the other ayys. Real cool, even if it requires a bit of setup. (make initial bases on the same continent or XCOM is going to have a real bad time)

I beat XCOM 2! And only on my 2nd playthrough, at that. ON IRONMAN MODE.
And I didn't lose a single soldier in the finale missions. Because I'm a freakin baws at tactics.
Completed my first playthrough about two days ago, on Veteran. Lost one soldier in the finale (RIP Col Lana Jenkins, though serves you right for missing that 98% shot), won the mission with a Rapid Fire revenge shot in the next turn. Felt real good.
I'm now trying to start a Legendary Ironman campaign, because I hate myself. It's good that Phantom Rangers and Mimic Beacons are OP.

The only thing I dislike about the game is Dodge because it's just pure bullshit, even on my own soldiers (spoilers: it never procs when you want it to). Everything else, aside from optimization, is really good and I recommend it. Worthy sequel to a great game.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
I need to pick it up some time, I love Enemy Unknown and Enemy WIthin, and I am looking forward to the customization allowed on X-Com 2 plus the mods that will eventually come as the game will support mods.