Getting Your Controller To Work for Skullgirls on Mac

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Edit: the file gamecontrollerdb.txt does not exist in the Windows version. So this is for Mac and Linux (I think, I can't confirm)

I am writing this thread mostly because it took me personally 3 hours trying to get my controller to work with Skullgirls. At first I tried a program to bind my keyboard to a controller but that made doing even quarter circle moves almost impossible. So I resorted to editing the file gamecontrollerdb.txt in order for Skullgirls to recognize my controller and it worked.

So this guide is mostly for Mac and Skullgirls. But it should work for Linux and any other game that uses gamecontrollerdb.txt.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.09.42 PM.png

If you plug in your controller and it doesn't show up in the controllers section of Skullgirls, like how the above picture shows, this guide should help you.

Step ONE: Download GamePadTool

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.13.43 PM.png

Go to SDL2 Gamepad Tool by General Arcade and download the application. If you don't want to use this particular program you can search SDL 2 on google and find other resources.

STEP TWO: RUN GamePad Tool

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.16.34 PM.png

Plug in your arcade stick before opening GamePad Tool. You should be able to see the arcade stick on the dropbox at the top. If you have multiple controllers connected you can select which one to map.

Click on Create New Mapping then follow the instructions. You can skip a few inputs since you may be using an arcade stick you won't have all inputs like the left and right analog sticks.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.18.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.18.46 PM.png

Once your done you can name the controller. As seen above.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.19.40 PM.png

After Creating A New Mapping you will be given a Mapping String. Copy this Mapping string as you will have to paste it into the gamecontrollerdb.txt file. I've highlighted it in the above example of what the Mapping String will look like.

STEP THREE: FINDING THE gamecontrollerdb.txt FILE

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.38.31 PM.png

If you downloaded the game on Steam, you can find where your game Steam files are located by going to your Steam settings called Preferences on Mac, going to the Downloads tab, and Clicking on STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS to check where your game files are. The Above is just an example as your files won't be named RichJammer as it is above.

NOTE This is instructions for Mac: When you know where your files are you can access them by opening Finder, Clicking the "Go" Tab on the top of the screen, then click on "Go To Folder" on the drop menu, then input exactly the destination that Steam gives you. The picture above the previous paragraph gives an example

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.42.39 PM.png

After you find where your game files are installed you should be able to find the gamecontrollerdb.txt. See the above example of where to find it. In Mac at least.

STEP FOUR: COPY THE MAPPING STRING INTO gamecontrollerdb.txt

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.43.36 PM.png

Copy the Mapping String from GamePad Tool and Copy it into gamecontrollerdb.txt. Since I was using a Mac, I copied it under the "# OS X" section. See the above image as an example. Save the txt file and you should be ready to go.

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 5.44.23 PM.png

Next Time you boot up Skullgirls it should show up in the controllers section like the image above.

Last edited:

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
Very useful info, thanks I will have to play around with this.

Also *giggles at the Velvet sucks Ice* bit in there.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
What kind of controller do you have? I have an Xbox One controller and all I need to do is just hook up a USB from my computer to my controller.
I've got like 4 controllers.
- PS4 Controller. No need put mapping cause Skullgirls recognizes it automatically.
- Hori PS3 Tekken 6 Wireless Arcade Stick
- PS4/PS3 Venom Arcade Stick
- SEGA Play USB Controller which for some reason I can't Map using Big Picture mode or using GamePad Tool.