After Mighty no. 9, should we be worried?

UngulateX

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 17, 2016
Personally, as a rule of thumb, don't back any game that doesn't have gameplay footage. Even if you are in pre-alpha, there's no excuse for not trying to whip up a simulation of what you want to do.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Personally, as a rule of thumb, don't back any game that doesn't have gameplay footage. Even if you are in pre-alpha, there's no excuse for not trying to whip up a simulation of what you want to do.
I agree if you look at the TFH Raw footage here() I would say that it is already quite polished for an alpha or pre-alpha gameplay footage.

JELIFISH19

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Apr 17, 2016
You should be worried based on what you funded it for. I think people funded MN9 for the wrong reasons. They saw Inafune was making a spiritual successor to MM and jumped on it without realizing that Inafune is only an artist and producer. He's not a developer. No one questioned whether he actually had a good team or if the developers were actually capable of making a great game. Now when it comes to TFH, I think you don't have to be worried if you funded it because you wanted a good fighting game. If you funded it for any other reason, you might be disappointed.

_L1pE_

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've got zero worries. There is a lot shown about the game and everything shown points to it being very high quality. Hell, even the leaked build of Fighting Is Magic is great, and that's unfinished, and TFH looks to only improve over it by quite a lot.

Reactions: Sly-Racoom

Manley_McDragonpuncher

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Tulsa, OK
You should be worried based on what you funded it for. I think people funded MN9 for the wrong reasons. They saw Inafune was making a spiritual successor to MM and jumped on it without realizing that Inafune is only an artist and producer. He's not a developer. No one questioned whether he actually had a good team or if the developers were actually capable of making a great game. Now when it comes to TFH, I think you don't have to be worried if you funded it because you wanted a good fighting game. If you funded it for any other reason, you might be disappointed.
I feel like a spiritual successor to Mega Man IS what they were promising, though. And then they didn't deliver that.

Richard Upton Pickman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 5, 2016
I played Mighty no 9 and if you look at all the complaints/problems the game has communication is one of the biggest problems.
If your community manager is not responding or even banning you from conversations that is a warning sign.
That being said this is the most money i ever put into a project reason being that i already saw and played the first version before it became them fighting herds.

Its understandable to be less trusting after what mighty no 9 did (and the list is long) but im confident in this game.
Not to mention there are tons of livestreams and news from the mane6 team. So i think we will get a good game without any drama.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
If I recall, you had experience with this kind of thing. :}
Well, I'm not entirely sure if Anu was the one who banned me, probably wasn't, but hey, anything is possible.

I'm in the mood, so if you'd like to try, we could give it a go. ;)
What in the sam hill does that mean!? Not what you said, but your quote thing. The "Dulce" thing.

Dulce is spanish for candy, but this ain't spanish.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
If you want it...
If I could have it without actually being banned, I would say yes in a heartbeat.

But to get back on topic: No, I for one do not think we need be worried. For one: the dev team has been nothing if not open and honest with us for the whole dev time. They show us all of the things they do, and we can see the very real progress they make. They also avoid giving promises that they don't know for sure if they can deliver, and they handle most if not almost all of their interactions professionally when the time counts. I think the team is legit passionate about giving us something to enjoy, and I think that they have no intention of cutting any corners to do it.

Within reason that is... :D

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
If I could have it without actually being banned, I would say yes in a heartbeat.

But to get back on topic: No, I for one do not think we need be worried. For one: the dev team has been nothing if not open and honest with us for the whole dev time. They show us all of the things they do, and we can see the very real progress they make. They also avoid giving promises that they don't know for sure if they can deliver, and they handle most if not almost all of their interactions professionally when the time counts. I think the team is legit passionate about giving us something to enjoy, and I think that they have no intention of cutting any corners to do it.

Within reason that is... :D
*Still have 3 months left in the dev cycle*
YOU CAN ALL HAVE IT TOMORROW!!!!!!!

Us (As a collective): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
If I was just a casual observer, who didn't get really into watching these people make their game, I'd probably be worried.

But I've been watching them for a LONG time now. Their first game was basically almost done and was really well made and well received for what it was. And now we're watching them make another, and it's very obvious that they know what they're doing and not making the same mistakes as Inafune.

In a similar vein, Playtonic I feel will also be fine. As will Lab Zero. Because I can SEE them doing the right things and making a good game!

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
I dont really think we should be worried.

What happened with Mighty Number 9 was that the developers set unrealistic goals from the start, wich was already a red flag to consider before even backing up the project, they as far as I am aware werent very open abotu the development process either, now compare that to titles like TFH where the goals were very realistic from the start, plus they had already shown footage of the in progress game even before the crowdfunding was finished, another example being BloodStained wich recently got a playable beta as well.

Sure, there are several projects that fail or are plain hoaxes wehn crowdfunding, but I am certain that TFH is not one of those, It is a pretty solid project, with great people working towards it, they have truly been very transparent with the process by keeping us updated and showing livestreams of their progress, something not many devs will do, plus with the prior game they had developed wich unfortunately got cancelled (Thanks The Toy Company) being a rather solid game even in its unfinished status, I am certain we are in good hands.

IS it okay to be skeptical, sure it is, however I am confident on this team, if I wasn't I would of not put my money on the line.

Angel Bee

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 9, 2016
I agree in that we don't have anything to worry about at all. I've been keeping a close eye on this project since the day I backed it and Mane 6 seems determined to take their time and make sure everything is working completely well and their livestreams are proof of their hard work in making sure there aren't any problems within the coding and animation. So I think we're in good hands. I have confidence in this team.

Last edited:

Richard Upton Pickman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 5, 2016
Another thing i will say about this is that the community around them fighting herds seems really nice and open to new people. Mighty No.9 had people defend any negative comment even so this might have helped the game.

Thanks to the fact that the developers are also speaking english we can talk about everything and it is a much more personal level of involvment. Inafune did too much for the franchise before it even was one. Something mane6 avoids as much as they can.

That and maybe not get involved with deep silver. ;)

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

ChaotixSpark

Whiffs for Days
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 18, 2016
Honestly, we can be a little worried. Mane6 is a brand new company who has never published a product before. Sure there is Fighting is Magic, but that's an unfinished product. It wasn't their choice to cancel Fighting is Magic, but since they don't have a completed product to base any previous success off of, I feel people have a right to feel worried about TFH. But based off the updates Mane6 has been posting, it looks like we don't have much to worry about. Then again, anything could happen.

There was that one company who was about to publish the Beast Fighting game. But right before release, their company got flooded and they lost ALL of their work. They attempted to give as much people their money back, but they couldn't finish the product anymore. So a fiasco can always happen, but Mane 6 is only human and again, they're updates are consistent and they haven't lost any steam yet in terms of no updates coming our way, so I don't think we ahve much to worry about yet.

Bradneko14

The Cat in the Box
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 5, 2016
Monterrey, NL,Mexico
I wouldn't worry that much, after all the biggest difference between MN9 and TFH is the open communication of the devs about the current state of the game, it's something that I really love of them doing, I makes me feel that the money I gave them is in a good and honest production.

18/NINE-TEEN

♫ ♪ Just Get On With It & Kill Me ♩ ♬
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With WayForward cancelling Shantae:1/2 Genie Hero on XBox 360 & PS3 (PS Vita TV might be also canceled) a few weeks before the game is released (I backed this game and I'm not cool with WF reason for this but I have to accept their decision. Hopefully WF will have a few options/ type compensation(s) available to make this right for Xbox 360 & PS3 backers that don't want a refund or cannot or will not switch to another system), Hyper Light Drifter (I didn't back this game but I would accept the reason for the cancellation of the Wii U & PS Vita port and either switch to another system if I have it or get a refund.) being cancelled on Wii U & PS Vita, no physical version of Rabi-Ribi game for backers on the $60+ tier amongst other things (my previous comment on this subject has links to this and other things reguarding poorly managed crowd funding campaigns After Mighty no. 9, should we be worried? ), Flying Hamster II: Knight of the Golden Seed, Lynn and the Spirits of Inao, MN9, [Edit: No Wii U port for Yooka-Laylee & Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night,], ZANO [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/torquing/zano-autonomous-intelligent-swarming-nano-drone/description] Indiegogo, Kickstarters and other crowd founding campaigns not giving backers what they donated to.
Things like this will make allot of current backers and new backers to crowd funding campaigns think twice about donating to something that could eventually get cancelled somewhere down the line after the campaign been funded.

I think future crowd funding campaigns FAQ page(s) will have to have some type of information about game ports, physical rewards, digital rewards and/or any other things that you backed/ you are entitled to get could get canceled somewhere down the line after the campaign been funded for what ever reason(s) and what legal rights you have and what type of compensation/ refund you are entitled to if you fit that category.
Kickstarter, Indiegogo and other crowd funding sites and the people/companies that uses these crowd funding websites to get people to back their project(s) have to be accountable to these issuses as this is happening so offten now, with some backers feeling like they been screwed over and not having or knowing what type of legal way/legal advice/ legal action that can be taken to deal with these and other issues when backing projects that get funded (including stretch goals) but don't deliver on what they promised to their backers who funded it.

So as long as Mane6 is able to port Them's Fightin' Herds on all the systems, complete the stretch goals that where funded, post regular live streams/ updates, reply to comments/E-mails ect, be upfront about any problems/delays/bug fixing ect and give backers all their digital and physical rewards they were promised, then .............

Last edited:

Manley_McDragonpuncher

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Tulsa, OK
You speak as though Mighty No. 9 is the only crowdfunded video game there is. Undertale is one of the defining games of this generation, and it was crowdfunded.
"One of the defining games of this generation" is stretching quite a bit, I think. More like "Popular with a bunch of hipsters and klds."

Honestly, we can be a little worried. Mane6 is a brand new company who has never published a product before. Sure there is Fighting is Magic, but that's an unfinished product. It wasn't their choice to cancel Fighting is Magic, but since they don't have a completed product to base any previous success off of, I feel people have a right to feel worried about TFH. But based off the updates Mane6 has been posting, it looks like we don't have much to worry about. Then again, anything could happen.

There was that one company who was about to publish the Beast Fighting game. But right before release, their company got flooded and they lost ALL of their work. They attempted to give as much people their money back, but they couldn't finish the product anymore. So a fiasco can always happen, but Mane 6 is only human and again, they're updates are consistent and they haven't lost any steam yet in terms of no updates coming our way, so I don't think we ahve much to worry about yet.
I would hope Mane 6 is making back-ups of the back-ups

Reactions: Oreo

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I would hope Mane 6 is making back-ups of the back-ups
It's up on dropbox. At least going by an interview their character designer and writer made.....
Though considering they have no single office, and they are all over the world, there is no single point of faliure like a flood.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm honestly not worried if only because Mane 6 gives us 1+ hour long update streams showing their progress every month, so we know for a fact that they're not using their time and our money giving us a product that falls under the standards they promised in the Indiegogo campaign.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
I would be worried if this game just came out of the wood-works with no credibility and horrid character designs/animations. Luckily that's not the entire case, these devs came out of the wood-works with "Fighting is Magic" and have Lauren Faust backing them, not like us backing. I'll start to freak IF the devs decide to drastically change the game's style like how Might No. 9 did it...and if they add that "anime fan on prom night" quote...this game is essentially a Lawyer Friendly Equines fighting game, I don't think they can afford to say something like that without kickback.

Reactions: PixelGrip94